Dillard's

Dillard's Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Dillard's Chairman and CEO Bill Dillard II

Bill Dillard II

Pros
  • the employee discount was good especially during additional discounts(in 136 reviews)

• Great starting pay that lasted exactly 6 months till first review period(in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Forced to resign before being "let go" due to outrageous daily sales goals(in 115 reviews)

• The pay starts of decent but when you don't meet your sales goals you can get a pay cut or fired(in 75 reviews)

Not bad so far

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ (US)

ProsPay isn't bad for retail, got started at $12/hour
    Nice coworkers
    Busy store

ConsHighly unorganized. My training consisted of being thrown out onto the sales floor on my first day and expected to figure it out.
    My manager started working here 3 days before I did and most of my coworkers are new as well, so no one really knows what's going on. I can already see there is very high turnover.
    Hours are all over the place, inconsistent, but to be expected in a retail store.
    We are expected to meet a certain dollar per hour in sales which is unachievable in my area (accessories). Whereas there are other associates selling over $3000 a day because they are in the sought after purse area. There should be a rotation in place to make it fair for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire another ops manager or someone to assist with hiring. The guy who was supposed to be putting me through training was so busy that he didn't even have time to take the new hires on a tour of the store. I had no proper training, just being told how to do the job by people who have only been there for a week. It would make things run much more smoothly and perhaps would result in less turnover if people were properly trained.

Pleasant atmosphere, impossible sales quotas

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Burlington, NC (US)

ProsGreat start off pay! With advance notice of 30 days or more, they were willing to work with me for personal time off.

ConsSales quotas have to be met, or you loose your job. Traffic in the store was minimal, and often non existent, after 6 PM.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter advertisement! For the department managers, consider dividing them into more manageable sections. My department manager was often overworked.

new sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Prosthe salary and opportunity for growth within the company

Consunpleasant customers and competitiveness amongst employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Temple, TX (US)

ProsFun, Fast paced place to work! I met some really great people working for this company. Very competitive pay & benefits, also easy to move up in pay as long as you meet sales goals. ASM's for every dept. make it easy to voice opinions & concerns. The Regional & Corporate people were great and very informative and were willing to listen to our experiences & questions. Good college job as long as they have your school schedule and they adhere to it.

ConsWas hired as "part-time" only to be told that I was penciled in as "full-time". The sales quota was rough sometimes, and pay could be cut if not up to par (no adjustment for time of day, which hurt night-only employees.) Credit applications are THE WORST PART of this job. I not only ruined my own credit due to being a teenager with an AMEX but a few friends who I HAD TO SIGN UP! ughhh! this sales tactic is HORRIBLE! I was hired for clothing & shoe sales!

There was a lot of micro-managing being done by the Store manager, and tension between "HER" and the rest of the store could be cut with a knife. (She's was relieved of her duties & escorted out after a third of the store quit on her(me included) to a standing ovation from the employees)

Advice to Senior Managementworth saying again: Credit applications are THE WORST PART of this job. I not only ruined my own credit due to being a teenager with an AMEX but a few friends who I HAD TO SIGN UP! ughhh! this credit sales tactic is HORRIBLE! I was hired for clothing & shoe sales! NOT CREDIT!!

Assistant Buyer

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) Gilbert, AZ (US)

ProsGreat, motivated,helpful co-workers. Possibilities to advance quickly in position. Good employee discount and extra perks as buyer; such as free merchandise.

ConsBenefits are extremely expensive. High turnover due to the amount of work and expected hours for a less then average pay.

Dillard's

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsHigher pay than most department stores
    Employee discount
    Chances to move up in the company
    Pay raises if you sell more than your goal

ConsManagement favors certain employees.
    If you do not meet your sells goal you could get a pay cut.
    Can be very competitive on the sells floor
    Everyone must put up stock and do markdowns, however it's usually a few people who have to do that while the others ring everyone up, and management doesn't do anything about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would just like management to award and promote those deserving and try to watch and make sure everyone is doing what they are suppose to

Opportunity for growth!

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) Killeen, TX (US)

ProsGreat merchandise. Creative control. Centrally located.

ConsHigh turnover. Lack of adequate training.

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit training at the store level to reduce turnover.

High expectaions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved my immediate upper management

ConsDistrict and higher management too far removed for in store experiences

Love the people I work with on a daily basis

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toledo, OH (US)

ProsThe pay is competitive, it's nice to know that the store manager knows your name. They seem to hire almost anyone, so go apply, because you'll get it. Then you're almost guaranteed a three month stay. After 6 months, you'll gain access to a holiday pay perk. A paid day off if you work on the holiday. Fourth of July, Christmas Eve, and New Years Day. Also there is a 25% discount for employees (working more than, I believe an adverage 12 hours a week) using there store provided pay as you go credit card or normal credit card.

ConsThe pay is sometimes too competitive. Like in Women's Shoes. I hear it's a shark tank. The training is very minimal. Usually not preformed by managers. Sometimes preformed by other employees who don't have much more experience than you. They need to pick a set of guidelines and rules and stick to them. Three day return policy or no? Returning evening dresses that you know they wore out with the tags on, just so that they could return it? PICK A SIDE!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more security!!!!!!

Good Company if you want to have no personal life. Judged by how you look, not by your skills, dedication, or loyalty.

Upper Management (Current Employee)

ProsAs long as you are mobile and want to work more that 50hours a week you will
    move up in the company. 25% discount is great.

ConsNo structure and Upper management very in-consistant, every stores is run
    differently. Store managers are allowed to belittle and disrespect those who
    work under them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone fairly and understand that work life and home life being in balance makes a
    happier employee.

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!