Disney

Disney Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Disney President, CEO, and Director Bob Iger

Bob Iger

Pros:
  • "They treat employees well and they respect the work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Overall, great company which offers good benefits & experiences to its employees"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you do work frontline your hours can be terrible and not conducive for a work life balance"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Some divisions have limited growth opportunities, less of a work/life balance, and long hours"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Disney Interactive (Online division)

I have been working at Disney full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-paced, talented staff, well-equipped, forward thinking, good work-life balance, great benefits, beautiful campus, access to various other segments of Disney

ConsLimited to no long-term profitability goals centered around content, layoffs are usually every 6 months, poorly funded teams and business groups, "synergy" projects are unbalanced, work environment is sterile, little to no room for promotions, limited number of creative executive staff

Great company! Have to be comfortable with ambiguity and change.

Director (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Disney full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with Great People!
The real products are the Media properties and nobody has more or more relevant properties than Disney.
Great perks and benefits!!!
Management takes risks, which can lead to significant growth.

ConsFrequent change in corporate direction, leading to frequent organizational restructuring. Many layoffs over the last 5 years.
Little focus on end consumer and most time spent on internal communication. We are the opposite of the "No Spin Zone"

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in place Scorecards that will force honesty on P&L holders. You need to know what is real versus hype.

An incredible experience that everyone should have.

Park Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Disney full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are able to do things for people that you simply are not capable of doing in retail and service industries anywhere else. Giving away merchandise to make someone's day magical, working with disabled guests to make their vacation memorable, or assisting with Make a Wish Foundation to name a few.

ConsYou are never paid well unless you break into the ranks of corporate or executive staff, but that's not why you are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff because in the end it's all you have. I left because my supervisor lied to my union about me and I wouldn't stick around there after. It was a shame.

It was awesome

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Disney full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay. Good hours. Friendly staff, and free park hours! Also i had the pleasure of working with legends in the software industry such as Hugh Janus, and Don Keballs.

ConsNot any huge cons. Some small ones were not being rewarded for being outstanding and being treated the same as someone who is fairly lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a reward system.

Sr Manager of QA

Senior QA Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Disney full-time for more than a year

ProsUnbelievable people and staff in IT. many have been there for 20+ years. However they are focused on Quality and education

ConsPolitics is always there, but on the whole a great company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new blood

A company that values their talent

Technical Support Engineer (TSE) (Current Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Disney full-time for more than a year

ProsDisney does a great job with keeping their employees engaged and happy. Overall, the workplace moral is average to high. There are always opportunities to move up in the company, but the ladder isn't easy. You have to really establish the relationships with people in addition to getting recognition. A salaried employee gets a Main entrance pass to enter disney parks for free, minus any blackout dates. 35% off Disney merchandise. Discounts on Disney vacation experiences and hotels. Employee movie screenings. Clubs and team sports. Community Outreach. Company paid training opportunities. Disney has their own pre-schools for employee children (Long waiting list though). Employee gym at the Burbank location. Good health benefits and 401k matching. Maternity/Paternity/Military leave.

ConsThe company is extremely large and covers many lines of business world-wide. So you may have to take calls and meetings add odd hours. Many IT analysts are always on-call.

Great Company to Work For

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Disney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis is a very fun and exciting company to work for.

ConsIt is very competative and hard to get promoted in this company!

Disney

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Disney

ProsA great place to work with great people.

ConsI cannot think of anything negative about the Company

Sr. Financial Analyst

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Disney full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture and growth is fantastic.

ConsHugh corporation, a lot of hands involved in making things happen.

Great place to work

Database Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Disney full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of advancement opportunities

ConsThe IT department never stops 365 days a year 24 hours a day, can be challenging balancing work and play

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing critical IT functions was a very bad move for a company that is very people oriented

Worked for Disney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Disney reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Disney CEO Bob Iger. All 590 reviews are posted anonymously by Disney employees.