Dixons Retail

Dixons Retail Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James

Sebastian James

Pros
  • You get a 10% discount on products and 20% on staff promotions at Xmas(in 5 reviews)

• strong leadership, good people, good career opportunities(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed(in 4 reviews)

• Poor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave(in 3 reviews)

Run of the Mill

Logistics (Former Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsYou get paid on time.
    Nice people to work with.
    Since its an electronic retailer, an employee gets plenty of discounts on the in house products and have good local discounts.

ConsRetail Dead End jobs. No real room for good promotions. Uninteresting management, the middle management seems stuck up and not flexible.

They only look at processes and not the employee, in another words working there would just be like you're another employee number. Machines will start automating soon enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees like numbers.

Hard work but rewards good performers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

ProsExpect to put in the time and the effort but rewarded for the same

ConsBusiness is always changing something

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Loads of tech

Sales Colleague (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsFast paced interesting good atmosphere

ConsLow pay and non existant bonus

Advice to Senior Management0.1% is nothig to motivate anybody, 1% is not enough to make you want to missell

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be as creative as you can

Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsI have been working for PC World for almost 2 years now, and reading the reviews on here, you are all right, what it comes down to is the individual store and the management team within to how you would consider the job satisfaction.
    But if you just take what the company wants to promote from managers to colleagues then all its about is having the correct behaviours!
    However Dixons Retail has changed a massive amount over the last few years namely because of Sebastian James, the current CEO of Dixons Retail, if you look at the company 10 years ago you can tell it was all about hard selling! Making sure we sold the customers the most expensive products we could! You can see this because when you work in a store half the team have been there for that long!
    And as this was a very pressured environment and I mean very pressured, This has made it hard for people to adapt to the new management style Dixons have adopted.
    For instance, when I was a sales colleague I had two managers one who had been within the company for a long time, and one that hadn’t after sales one would say, What did you get on that sale? The other would say, what was your customers name? This as you can see is behavioural management over hard selling management.
    Now does Dixons want to rid the company of these hard selling managers that encourage colleagues to sell more? No, well that’s my opinion.
    If you are a sales colleague on the computing section, this is what the company wants you to sell with as many sales as you can:
    Computer = What Ever Happens (insurance) MacAfee Live safe and CLOUD, Mobile broadband, set up (recovery media, Personalise (create Email address etc..) Showhow (30 minute tutorial)
    So that’s 7 attachments, costing a minimum of £129 I mean if you’re buying a cheap £300 machine be prepared to spend another third! And £10 a month on insurance so you pay us another third a year! Gees.
    So although the target for these attachments is not 100% it still leaves Dixons in a place where these hard selling managers will thrive, to exceed the targets.
    Another reason you can be sure that Dixons don’t want to ditch old school managers is that there hasn’t been an assistant trainee management scheme in 4 or 5 years! Yes a cash rich company opening expanding and creating stores, a company moving forward with values and beliefs haven’t enrolled a new generation of manegent team at all!
    I mean then they expect not to be in watchdog for miss-selling! Are you kidding! Colleagues are honestly told to tell their customers,
    “We offer a great service called What Ever Happens, it means if anything goes wrong with your computer INCLUDING accidental damage then we will fix it for you if we can’t do that then we will replace it after 7 days.”
    To which the customer will more than likely say no. In which case we will say, “It might be a good idea to take it for the first month, which I can give you for free, to get you through any teething issues with the machine, then I can also give you a £10 discount on your machine, and if you don’t want to keep it I can give you a freephone number to cancel your agreement, and you’ve saved £10 to make a free phone call.
    Hmm... isn’t how the corporate side want us to sell it, however there not doing much to change that, if they were to introduce new generation of managent maybe this wouldn’t happen anymore.
    It’s all about the Customer plan, Head office get us to sell the attachments by saying, you need to get the customer story, ask lifestyle questions to find out how our services will be useful to them, so when you bring this up at the end the customer almost feels stupid saying no to an insurance because they dropped their last one, or because they had a virus and don’t want to buy our half price internet security!
    However there are pros, if you embrace what head office say to you personally then you wont get penalised for it, I’m personally very target driven and was great with sales, but I’m all about the customer, and I will only and always do what is right for the customer, I started the company 2 years ago as a college dropout (long story) from there I have progressed on to be a team leader, im now 18k which is higher than normal for a team leader in Dixons, and I know I will be able to get on the next intake of our assistant manager program.
    This company will walk over you, but only if you let them if you want to progress within this company you will need to have some sort of savvy of when to go the extra mile for the company and work both of you days of for free, and when they start to use you for long hours and this becomes expected and you gain nothing from it. You know what I mean...
    Working here for me has had it’s ups and downs, and you meet a great variety of people and are able to communicate on different levels.
    As long as this company keeps going in the same new directions, and over the next few years does more to break old habits, it really will be, “An exciting place to be”

ConsOld managers make it a bad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in a new generating of management, instead of getting new colleagues who do breed the right behaviors to do that job as customer champion

Big box retail is a tough sector since Amazon changed the game

Project Manager (Current Employee) Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

ProsHeritage of the brand
    Some great senior people
    Rapidly changing industry
    Household name
    Technology sector is cutting edge

ConsPublic perception is that Dixons still make 40% margin on high tech, so the brand isn't loved.
    Everything is about operations or product pricing. Limited opportunity to build rapport with suppliers and/or an engaging customer experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going with the transformation. Work on brand image and ensuring there are good career opportunities for the workforce.

Working as knowhow customer service in store

Knowhow (Current Employee)

ProsA job Nice store Freindly staff

ConsPoor managers, low pay, stressful job, no motivation, most of the staff want to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff better

Good to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe atmosphere is very nice, the management is fair

ConsDixons retail SSC offers almost no career opportunities, very low salaries, but it might be not very bad start of career

Generally enjoyable experience

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

Pros- good progression opportunities for those who work hard
    - good team atmosphere in the stores I worked in
    - good infrastructure and support systems in place
    - lots of investment in store facilities
    - staff discount

Cons-pay is on the low side for the industry
    -management is hit or miss in each individual store
    -high pressure environment
    -low commission

Market leading company with a bright future

Assistant Category Manager (Current Employee) Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

Prosstrong leadership, good people, good career opportunities

Constoo many inefficiencies, some programmes and processes are outdated

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to front line staff

Don't even think about it...

Sales Colleague (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros10% discount for employees - very customer focused - good atmosphere (depending on store)

ConsVery low salary with a lot of pressure. Poor training for such high technology. Make you feel like you don't care as employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget a bit of KPIs and focus on quality of employees. Don't forget companies are made up of people.

Worked for Dixons Retail? Contribute to the Community!