Dixons Retail

Updated 17 November 2014
2.9

Dixons Retail Group CEO Sebastian James
Sebastian James

Pros
  • 10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office rather dated but that is being addressed (in 4 reviews)

• Needs to recognise the hard work of the workforce (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

An experience!

Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Apple Expert in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will work with some great people and have enjoyable days at work.

Cons

Every good day has a bad day, some stores have prehistoric managers with similar management styles.

Treat staff better and they will respect you and in turn sell the things you push them to.

Decent colleague and team leaders...... contract hours, bonus, targets all terrible

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really to do with the company but I got on really well with all my colleagues.... Sometimes managers can be decent....
    To be honest, the training isn't too bad... the course you are sent away on is quite helpful

Cons

Quite a few cons with it....

- The contract situation is a bit of a joke - I applied for what was stated as a full time job - then was told I would have to start on 20 hour contract (despite doing 40 years every week) and then it would go up to 28 hours at the end of probation, this never happened. It wasn't too much of a problem, until after the peak period was over and it became quiet, and the management started cutting everyones hours...

- It gets pretty tedious, you get the same boring talks every day about selling "Knowhow Care plan" and other attachments, the managers always say the same painfully simple things about it, and seem to have no grasp on what its actually like to sell it.... Having to sell it was bad enough anyway considering no employees agree with it.

- The targets are quite pressured, and quite unrealistic - they expect you to hit 40 per cent on your knowhow care plan sales, and if you don't then, well you don't get hours .... however people that mis sell it and hit targets get REWARDED with hours.... hmmm

- The bonus system is absolutely terrible. First bonus I got less than I was told I would get, I didn't get anything id earned in the first 2 weeks because "you apparently have to be there for the whole period to get it" (i'd never been told that at all). The bonus team also tried to tell me I was a peak temp colleague so I wouldn't get any of it, despite my contract clearly stating I was a full time permanent. They seem to do anything to get out of giving you your bonus, which is the one thing that stops it being an awfully paid job (it still is). Now, I've left and i'm due bonus for my last 6 weeks... shock I didn't receive it, currently trying to chase it up but they haven't replied to me.

- Not Dixons fault but the hours are awful, working 11 - 8 shifts in the week, and working every weekend, means you don't really have a life outside of work if youre full time.

- They try to get away with anything, For example my contract clearly stated that if I worked over 40 hours a week, id get time and a half pay. I was asked to cover an extra shift, so I asked if i'd get time and a half seeing as it would take me up to 47, they just said "no" ALWAYS REFER TO YOUR CONTRACT!

- Also, do not agree at all with their rule of having to approach every customer countless times, it annoys them and drives them away, yet you are MADE to approach EVERYONE. Of course, it was us that got the flack off the customer for bothering them, despite us not wanting to!

Sorry for the long rant

- Get rid of the stupid targets

- Stop being absolute arseholes over the bonus

- Stop trying to mug off customers with the knowhow care plan and hdmi cables just to hit targets

- Don't mug off your staff when they clearly have stuff written down on their contract

- Get rid of the ridiculous "conversion" targets, meaning staff have to continuously approach and bother customers even when they don't want it

Never Again, Poor working conditions and pay

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you like working for pennies you will love it....

Cons

Very Poor managers, waddle about all day, barking out demands and there next set off targets or quoting company policy. You are basically required to sell a targeted pile off products and inflated prices for minimum wage and there BIG thing useless warrenties/insurance policys, you get a nice big talk EVERY HOUR about how that is going.
    Horrible atmosphere to work in there is always some-sort off crisis every day you just cannot go in and have a normal day. I was looking for a new job in 3 months, just like everyone else, there was so many people who just left one guy at lunchtime he just did not come back. I lasted a year, my previous job I had been at for 5 years.
    , bonus scheme is misleading...and they will think off any excuse not to pay out. I think most people just shop online these days and there maybe living in the past a bit.

it is 2014 by the way

Anybody offering a new job?

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time

Pros

If you have next to no bills to pay then the wage is ok

Cons

Where do I start:

For most people who actually do pay for things on a daily basis the wage is terrible for the amount of work put into every sale unless you're management so can get a nice bonus from it all which staff rarely see.

Training can be good if and when you might be lucky enough to do it once given 5 mins away from the shop floor to do it yet even then get asked to serve straight after.

The amazing bonus that's talked about during interviews the somehow the company seem to get out of paying.

Busiest time of the year Christmas where you work all day everyday with no breaks apart from to quickly grab a snack between customers bringing in massive amount of money to the company but seeing nothing for your hard work.

Getting expected to sell everything to every customer and even if the customer says no a million times there is obviously a way they will take it.

If you're not selling everything to every customer then apparently you're not doing your job... last I checked I could get paid more flipping burgers in McDonalds an don't see them forcing stuff at you.

The whole company I see these days as greedy money grabbing fat cats who need to learn how to treat customers and staff.

From what I've seen most new starters last about 4 maybe 5 months before seeing sense and leaving for good.

Poor management skills by all managers and like to pass the buck with any complaints.

I could go on but I don't think there would be enough space to type it all

Sort it out now before you don't have a company to manage!

Once a giant slowly withering

Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Colleague in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some really good people (staff), and they did pay on time....10% discount on most items, and you get the odd benefit from a supplier. Would suit a 18 year old the job is quite easy to get, learn a few sales skills (not from the trainers, other sales guys), and use it on your CV and move on.

Cons

Old fashioned mentality, some management think it is still 1998. Company speak, Micro Management, I had about 20 Managers in 3 years... Very poor pay and as many targets as you cant handle, I lost count off there SQ targets, (basically add ons like there what ever happens (insurance they never stop talking about it), HDMI cables for like £80 mental.
    ....poor product training, there only interested in the add ons and not the actual products. Very High staff turnover, after 6 months I was getting shadowed by NEW starts. Basically you are a number....and there expecting you to leave they have a poor attitude to workers

You need your employees to actually want to be there, you have talked about improving things for the workforce for years now and never done anything

Awful company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Colleague

I have been working at Dixons Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a 10% discount on products and 20% on staff promotions at Xmas. You learn about cool and exciting technology. In a sales or customer service role you can develop your confidence and social skills.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from customers whilst managers rarely (if ever) give you time to train.

Use of part time contracts as little as 8 hours for employees that work 30+ hours, meaning they miss out on proper holiday pay.

Staff leave all the time.
    Stores regularly understaffed.
    Shift patterns are not set in stone (or anywhere near it) so can change in a whim.
    Management poor at organising shifts.
    IT systems are ancient and ridiculously slow.
    Top managers earning good money eventually are made redundant to cut costs.

Give staff time to train on a regular basis. Actually do something as opposed to being seen to be doing something. Be positive when motivating staff. Offer full time contracts for full time workers.

Extremely poor with no integrity!

Former Employee - Knowhow/Sales/B2B in Yeovil, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Knowhow/Sales/B2B in Yeovil, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you really push your managers and willing to do training in tour own time, you may get an ok wage.

Cons

To start, the company are certainly not out to give the best experience to the customer, they are there to take as much money and dodge as many complaints as they can. I have worked in all store roles except for management and can tell you it is the same in each role. If you're sales, you only have one goal, sell them everything! If you don't, you will get penalised. If you do, well, you will get nothing.....no incentive to to really put that effort in to each sale. (Of course, the manager can get a nice bonus from it).if you are business orientated, the same applies. If you are knowhow, Tell everyone their machine has to go away for repair (their careplan has a lot of clauses you do not realise!).

Every company is out to make money, but should do it with dignity and integrity. Not lile a sleazy dodgy dealer from the west end.

The management will NOT deal with a tough situation, they will always refer them to knowhow OR good ol customer service! (These guys get paid to take as little responsibility as possible)

Take some responsibility, show more respect for the colleagues who are earning your bonuses and doing the dirty work and do what's right for the customer!
    A dixons quote is 'to never leave the customer to fend for themselves'....it would be nice to see that

Overall a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wages and benefits good/excellent once you get to mid level.
    Plenty of learning opportunities.

Cons

Low level employees undervalued and uniformly strictly monitored.
    Politics and poor numbers behind many decisions throughout.
    Archaic IT infrastructure, some the backbone is still AS400.

Check numbers at every level, failings are being covered up and without good numbers you can't make the best decisions.

Good for learning but management is appalling

Current Employee - Consultant in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Hemel Hempstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Dixons Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a good scope of learning, co-workers are nice in general. You will learn across the business and different verticals (if working on head office).

Cons

Senior management is appalling. They treat employees as liabilities! Following merger with Carphone Warehouse, they have made hundreds of people redundant (and hiring contractors instead to show a head-count reduction in accounts – to please city investors). In stores, staff turnover rate is very high (because they are paid minimum wage). The people who worked 15-20 years in head office were let go in favour of replacing them by fresh graduates in Czech Republic.

Treat your employees with respect rather than continuously trying appease city investors!

Largest electrical company in Europe

Former Employee - Business Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dixons Retail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Various product training available within the company, Huge pool of knowledge for consumer products and electronic gadgets. Great for someone who loves to tinker with products and latest gadgets, as many manufactures gives you live demo

Cons

Could do better on wages, sales incentive and bonus structure is not very lucrative. Management can be more people friendly.

Management should take the feedback from colleagues and forward it to policy makers.