Dress Barn Reviews

Updated 16 September 2014
3.5

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Honest and True Family

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Like any retail job, it depends on your manager. If your manager is a competent worker and same her bosses, then life at DressBarn is pretty great. It's a company that recognizes hard work and is quick to promote from within.

Cons

Dealing with the public honestly is the worst part. And if you have a bad manager, then things will be harder for all workers involved.

DM's need to stay in more constant contact with store managers. An example is if several employee's have a complaint very similar about a SM, then you should investigate and NOT say who you heard these things from. It's puts everyone in a bad position.

Nice company Limited opportunities to advance

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Nashua, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Nashua, NH (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice work environment and always current with the inventory

Cons

Very few full time positions per location thus a limited/restricted opportunities for advancement

Allow experienced employees to work towards a full-time Senior Associate position, thus making them eligible for benefits such as medical, paid sick leave etc.

Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Conyers, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conyers, GA (US)

I worked at Dress Barn part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good company to work for.

Cons

Pay really could be better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun job and loved my staff.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Boise, ID (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boise, ID (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, fun atmosphere and they really try to make employees feel appreciated.

Cons

when you worked an 8 hour day plus you only got a half hour lunch break and they have really low staffing so its hard to accomplish what you need to do each day.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Vernon Hills, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vernon Hills, IL (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relationships, contact with new people, developing, opportunities for grow up.

Cons

learning new methods, new programs...

n/a

Amazing culture!

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time

Pros

Dressbarn is a hidden gem. I knew it was a good company before I started working here but I had no idea HOW good! The company is very focused on doing right by its employees and wellness is very important here. Having the founders still so involved makes it feel like a small family business rather than a billion dollar corporation. We're very strong financially, rare in retail these days. And the new HQ building is beautiful!

Cons

Occasionally, not everyone is on the same page, but this is usually remedied fairly quickly. Budgets are tight, but that's happening everywhere and we wouldn't be so financially solid without that control.

Keep the culture growing!

Husband's job forced me to leave dressbarn and wow do I miss it!

Former Employee - Training Store Leader  in  Georgetown, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Training Store Leader in Georgetown, TX (US)

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Head of Stores Gil will tell you store leaders are them most important people in the company and he means it and it shows! You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance. Comparable pay with new bonus program based on store profitability should be great. Discount is great! Opportunity through company webinars for self improvement and professional growth. District and Regional leaders truly care about their teams.

Cons

Great merchandise sells quickly and replen is slow but getting better. Shoe buyers need to keep shoes coming into stores quicker. Warm weather stores need sandals! Online returns should not come off of store sales.

Keep up the great work. I saw so many improvements in the last couple years.

Go work at Walmart

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paid training
    Discounts at Dressbarn, Maurice's, Justice/Brothers, Lane Bryant, Catherine's

Cons

Not enough payroll to support having any full time except management
    Assistants and associates are never given any recognition
    Store managers expect to do nothing but gossip between stores
    Micro managing district managers
    Work/life balance does not exist
    No opportunity to move ahead

Reward all positions for the work they do. Bonuses are impossible to achieve

Not a company that follows through on intent

I worked at Dress Barn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Clothing discount. Right intent but lack of follow-through.

Cons

Very reactionary culture. Not strategic or long-term thinking and not able to differentiate versus competitors. Hires people with experience and then stifles them by not giving them room to run. Long term employees not highly valued and can be easily replaced depending on senior executive changes and them wanting to bring in their own people, regardless of the merits of the long-term employee.

Lead by example. Show employees you really care about their well-being instead of this being empty words.

Best Employment Experience of My Career

Current Employee - Director Level, Home Office  in  Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Director Level, Home Office in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wow, where to begin...

I guess the most unique aspect of our organization is the 'human-ness'. From our founders, Mr. and Mrs. J, to our entire Executive Team, to our entry-level associates, there is a level of humility that is innate to who we are as a company. It is this humbleness that helps shape our culture. From work-life balance (when we ask associates to travel to a company meeting, we ensure that we allow for travel to take place on a week-day, and not infringe on their weekend/family time), to growth and development (we have an incredible curriculum of classes and tools that help our associates be better at what they do -- and, we ENCOURAGE people to take the time to focus on their development!), to our overall focus on 'total wellness' (we have a beautiful fitness center in our Home Office that is free for our HO associates to use, and we ENCOURAGE IT - even during 'work hours'!)

Even if there are 'tough' business decisions to be made, we do so through a filter of "What is the RIGHT THING TO DO?" Truly, I have never seen anything like it. I feel like I have hit the career lottery! Of course, I love my role and the people I work with. I also believe in all our strategies to grow the brand and the company. We have amazing leadership who respect each other and seem to have genuine 'affection' for each other. To get to see and work under the direction of an executive team like this once in a lifetime is a rare privilege.

Cons

There is much work to be done! So it can be an intense pace (fortunately, we can blow off steam or work out some stress at our Smartlife Fitness Center any time).

Keep up the good work. I hope that our stores can feel what we feel here in our home office. And if we can accomplish that, our cutomers will surely feel it!

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!