DynCorp International

DynCorp International Chairman & CEO Steven F. Gaffney

Steven F. Gaffney

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I enjoy working here.

Cisco Voice Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAfter April 2013 working in IT got 75% better. A lot of improvements have been made within the IT department as a whole and there are good IT managers willing to give you a chance to move up if you work hard. Training is okay. Most of the training I've gotten to advance my career has been done on my own initiative, at my own expense, and on my own time. There is a lot of opportunity to learn and get experience with a wide spectrum of technologies. Not a lot of perks company wise that I can think of.

ConsAs far as job security, it's only good when there's a major war going on.

DynCorp = bully

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay and benefits. Met some great friends.

ConsEmployees with children and families are favored over single, childless employees as if single people have no life. Being single does not mean I want to stay late so a parent can go home on time to pick up and take care of a child. Never could make plans afterwork, no advanced notice of overtime hours. Normal hours were 8-5 but sometimes you were excepted to work odd shift hours such as midnight to 9am, 5am-5pm, etc.

Expected to not take your lunch hour.

Deadlines are unreasonable and last minute. Management not willing to stand up and demand deadlines that aren't so tight and last minute.

Gave awards for outstanding performances that came with a cash award. Unfortunately, one person won the award for "placing a decal on a plane." Often awarded those that were simply doing their job. Overlooked those that went over and above and did many jobs.

Military employees looked down on and treated non-military employees horribly.

Lots of sexism in the workplace.

Had to constantly take ethics training, including how retaliation was not allowed. It happened all of the time.

Bullying was a large part of how they got things done.

Never looked forward to going to work.

Must account for how you spent your time at work and on what project. You'd be screwed if you were actually efficient and got done early.

After expecting you to stay crazy hours they couldn't even provide decent coffee. At one time they offered individual coffee creamers in many flavors, provided plates and plastic cutlery. After one of the many CEO changes the plates, cutlery, creamers were gone. Creamer was replaced with generic powdered crap. Generic sweeteners. No more tea, hot cocoa, etc.

Good first job where I gain lots of education and experience

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat Mentors
Opportunities to grow and advance in your career.
Educational/tuition reimbursement opportunities.
Set policies and procedures set in place for almost anything (I didn't realize how valuable this was until I worked for a company with no policies/procedures).
Great Benefits

ConsWork/life balance - at times I was working 70-80 hours per week, on-call and expected to be available 24/7.
Some favoritism
Some people in management positions did not deserve them or do a good job in them, making it more difficult for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall I feel like this is a good company to work for, but a lot of that has to do with the department and people that you work with/for. I believe that it opened many doors for me and taught me so much.

Ideal employer for those willing to work hard, apply themselves, and who are dedicated to learning more about business

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong company values for which people are held accountable; companywide sense of pride in the mission - people care about the work they are doing; opportunities to learn more to advance your career are limitless

ConsMarket dynamics make this a challenging time for anyone who contracts with the U.S. government; not a place for those just looking to "show-up" each day who are not invested in the work they do

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on core values across company; continue to hold people accountable for delivering results and living the company values

unhappy place

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI want to be able to put something, but I honestly can't think of anything positive to say. If you are out of a job and they will hire you, go for it (at least it's a paycheck), but I wouldn't leave a decent job to go here.

ConsEmployee morale is in the toilet. Constant threat of layoffs for the worker bees, but yet they have an over abudance of VPs. No pay raises for the last two years, but mgmt still paid themselves a bonus. Managers can't or won't make decisions. Too much red tape, but it's a government contractor so I guess that's to be expected. Really depends what group you are in, some groups are expected to work themselves to death. Seems to be a better balance in the field or on contracts than in corporate office. Advancement opportunities are practically non existant. You might be able to make a lateral move but unless you are "in the club" you won't be moving up anytime soon. They are stuck in old fashioned ways "because that's how we've always done it". Company gets bought/sold on a regular basis, so the structure is constantly changing. As soon as the dust begins to settle from one sale, the next one happens. The only thing that stays the same here is change, but it all seems to focus on superficial things that create more work. I did not feel valued as an employee at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would accept that your employees are your most valuable asset and brought back things like jeans Friday, and actually put an effort into improving morale you would do infinetely better. People know they are expendable at DI. The constant threat of layoffs causes your best people to leave voluntarily before they are cut, so you end up with the poor performers sticking around. You need to put some effort into training people - new hires leave so quickly because they are thrown to the wolves with ZERO training or support. Pick a direction and stick with it for more than 5 min to see if if actually has an impact.

The oldest startup

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Salary, some very good qualified people, not much else good to say about Dyncorp

ConsDisorganized, no direction, lack of planning, management does not listen to employees, to much turnover from layoffs and voluntary, long hours expected by all.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, find other ways than layoffs to keep the bottom line looking good. You know the government is going to be cyclical, but you consistently hit the hard working people with layoffs instead of finding another way. Live the Code of Conduct instead of just spouting it.

Staffing review

I worked at DynCorp International full-time

ProsEnjoyed most of my co-workers. Other departments did not seem to have the issues staffing did.

ConsSr. Management needs better communication with employees

Great company at times. The program / management team an employee has will either make you love or hate the company.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood people, strong values, decent benefits, competitive pay, military / vet friendly, branching into commercial contracts in addition to government contracts.

ConsLimited options for promotions and employee development. HR policies seem contradictory. Company owners have changed the way enterprise functions.. and it hasn't benefited the employees at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your current people rather than bringing on new VPs.

Good Starting Point

Subcontracts Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFast Moving Environment, Decent Benefits, Work Flexibility

ConsNo stable Senior Leadership, Lack of Standard Operating Procedures, Procurement System Slow and Outdated

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Directors should have hands on experience in the type of work being completed by subordinates

Upper Management is Abusive

Director (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at DynCorp International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay up until they lay you off

ConsIf you have any integrity or skill, you WILL be replaced.

They hire old, used up generals and affirmative-action square-fillers who bring in their own yes-men. It is entirely unimportant to do a good job; just smile a lot and hope your boss doesn't have a buddy looking at your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and hire competent leaders

Worked for DynCorp International? Contribute to the Community!

DynCorp International Videos

DynCorp International – Why Work for Us?

A GLOBAL SERVICES PROVIDER OFFERING UNIQUE, TAILORED SOLUTIONS FOR AN EVER-CHANGING WORLD DynCorp International is a leading global services provider offering unique, tailored solutions for an ever-changing world… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DynCorp International reviews and ratings in Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DynCorp International CEO Steven F. Gaffney. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by DynCorp International employees.