E*TRADE Financial

www.etrade.com

E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Paul T. Idzik

Pros
  • Etrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path(in 16 reviews)

• The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • could improve in employee work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Call center work can eventually wear on an individual(in 14 reviews)

Finance intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat manger to work with.

Conslocation is not very close to campus

Advice to Senior Managementgreat intern program.

Good job for the young and single

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee)

ProsTraining provided to earn your Series 7 is excellent. Base pay is decent compared to most call center jobs. Promotions are easy to come by since the company cleaned house a few years ago. There is unlimited overtime opportunity during tax season.

ConsEmployees that work less than 50 hours a week receive poor performance reviews. You will be required to refer millions in outside assets from existing client base and receive no bonus for your efforts. Your job is to help clients maintain regulatory compliance so you have to maintain a high level of focus for long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on training after Series 7.

A nice place to start in financial services, dont plan on a long career. Employee retention is poor

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Sandy, UT (US)

ProsEtrade is a good company if you can climb out of the front line trading and customer service level and get into stock plans, corporate services, etc.. Benefits are excellent. Raises are performance based and generally fairly small percentage increases. the best way to earn more is to take advantage of overtime hours when offered.

ConsEmployees are micro managed for call handle times. Customer service can often be sacrificed for efficiency. Financial advisors are not really advisors and are not trained to be such. The company just wants to get as many assets under management as they can and charge management fees for not managing the accounts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Staff Engineer

Senior Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsNice env, nice people. Fast release. Good business. You can make or break system fast.
    People are nice to work with. Flexible environment

ConsOld technologies, need to change to new stack of technologies. They should move to big data hadoo hbase hive etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be hands on.

Getting mojo back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsE*trade is known for innovation. So where along the lines they lost their way. It seems that the company has found its mojo. Lots of energy around innovation and new ideas are taking place. Management is making every effort to create the right environment to encourage and foster new thinking

ConsThere are many new processes that management should consider streamlining. Few opportunities for promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great Company for the self-motivated

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsGreat opportunities for those willing to work hard to accomplish goals.
    Great employee recognition for outstanding performances, contributions, and accomplishments.
    Very competitive compensation.
    Access to best trading tools in the market.

ConsLack of upper management stability.
    Poor communication between departments.

Relationship Manager

Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Sandy, UT (US)

ProsNice colleague, good working atmosphere

ConsCost cutting, outsourcing to the Philippines and management do not look out for their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees,

Call centers suck.

Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsPaid for Series 7 and 63 classroom hours with amazing instructor. Free materials (books software to study at home) and test. Was awesome to be able to get paid and study!!!

ConsMicromanagement like you never seen before!!! I might as well have a supervisor sitting in my cube!!

You have to literally log on the computer EVERYTHING you do the second you do it. If not the sup will IM you and ask what you are doing. You will receive a schedule everyday that dictates when you have lunch and go to the bathroom. I am serious!! I cannot make these things up!!

Unless you like having a phone glued to your ear from when you get in to when you leave, this job is not for you.

Also, they are very sales heavy, sups want you to push products of these poor investors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging your employees!!!

Run FAST

Operations (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ (US)

ProsViews of lower Manhattan. I can't think of anything else.

ConsI have never seen a group of managers and directors with such hatred towards one another in my entire career.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making an environment that pits managers against each other.

Terrible

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) Sandy, UT (US)

ProsOkay benefits and good hourly pay for what you were doing.
    Get to look at the stock market all day and see a lot of fox news, if that's your sort of thing.

ConsCondescending middle management, little autonomy, Absolutely no one on my floor woke up and wanted to go to work in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive an accurate description of position in the interview and maybe you won't have a 50% turnover every 6 months

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!