E*TRADE Financial

www.etrade.com

E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Paul T. Idzik

Pros
  • Etrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path(in 16 reviews)

• The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • could improve in employee work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Call center work can eventually wear on an individual(in 14 reviews)

Lots of New Life

User Experience (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsExciting and challenging projects underway to modernize the company. Leadership is supportive of ambition and knows they should think big.

ConsSometimes there are a lack of processes and also a lack of speed in modernization efforts. As a result, some change feels slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up on following through.

Getting better and making changes for the better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGetting better and making changes for the better.

ConsWas once the leader in the business but now it's a follower.

• Proactively contact clients to determine the best method of allocating assets across multiple markets in order to achi

Financial Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsThe ability to assist client with meeting their goals,. My strength has always been in sales, and this environment allows me to utilize my extensive experience to perform under limited management supervision

ConsI have been in the securities industry for 27 years, and the overall atmosphere has changed tremendously from one of trust and long standing relationship, to one of distrust and skepticism

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to repair the image of the ind

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Etrade is transitioning from a stock brokerage firm to a discount full service broker.

Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsEtrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path. The management team also supports their employees allowing them to pursue their professional goals.

ConsEtrade is primarily a stock brokerage firm and is transitioning to a discount broker dealer firm with a full product line offering. Having worked at a competitor in this space Etrade needs to develop products that are competitive in both price and performance to be successful. The firm also needs to embrace retirement planning as an initiative to further develop client assets to diversify the firms revenue stream during turbulent market conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe internal systems at Etrade need to be reviewed and modified to be more inline with competitors software package for employees. If the firm is attempting to transition to a full service discount broker and intends to offer more than a platform to trade stock, information must be accessible in a more useful format for employees. Additionally, there are several contract groups that offer 3rd party services for Etrade that should be brought in house to ensure business continuity.

Software ruled by clueless NY business people

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsIf you find the right team, you will be working with nice people, some of whom have been there for years. It is a more laid-back environment, in most cases, and again, depending on the team. Changes in leadership means that some finally got to advance in title (the company has a relatively flat hierarchy, and rarely promoted from within to manager positions), and new technology is started to be explored and used.

ConsIn the past year and a half, there was a major layoff, in which most of the contractors, and some full timers (some who had been there for a decade) got laid off for the first time in years. Within a few months, departments were scrambling to rehire to fill those positions and new ones too. It could be argued that the company was trying to save money and get rid of poor performers, but in the end, we hired newbies who had to be retrained (the tech 'stack' is archaic, frustrating, and a time-suck to deal with) and the market got so hot it was extremely difficult to hire top performers who would accept the lower pay Etrade was offering. All of this resulted in some poor code/projects not up to the same level as before. On top of that, Etrade became very strict about physical time spent in the building. They were always obsessed with 'badging in/badging out', and we were periodically told to be in the office no later than 9:30 am (sometimes by 8, whenever a CEO was in town), but recently I felt like we were more closely monitored on this, to the point where people wouldn't leave the building for lunch, and would take less walks around the parking lot, and would even just sit in their cubes doing nothing until 5:30 came around, if they had finished their work for the day. For a tech company, this is odd...usually if you are lucky enough to finish for the day, you are free to go, and techies are known for their late starts in the morning and leaning towards a flexible schedule. And forget working from home, at all, unless your manager likes you, and is not scared of discussing your badge log with their superiors. If you like that sort of thing, don't join Etrade. The bottom line is that this is a financial institution, based and led by often clueless people in New York, who don't have an understanding of what makes the tech side of things great (which is a shame, because for the most part, Etrade is an online business, and is known for that). 4? CEOs have come and gone in the past 5 years, and the current leadership (Idzick) is as hard core NY as you can get...he was brought in by the board to get money for shareholders, and money and the short term is what he is focused on. For a year after he joined, he was unable to convey any sort of goal, long or short term, to us worker peons. In the interim, many long timers decided to leave after a decade of service (to apple, start ups...lost some good talent). My feeling is that they will continue to sell off portions of the business, and 'lean things down' until they can sell the trading platform. When that goes, so goes the company and whoever works for it. It may take years, and in the meantime, if you wish to put some financial coding experience on your resume, join. But don't make the mistake of staying too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what it takes to be a successful software company. Support your Tech people, give them the tools and environment it takes to succeed and attract the good talent in the Silicon Valley. Provide a better path toward career advancement and pay raises. Let people becomes leaders within the company. Stop fiddling around with monitoring badge logs, and focus on the bigger picture.

Once a great company, now reduced to mediocrity and support of the ever-declining status-quo

Systems Engineering (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsWas a great opportunity to work on some bleeding edge technology products a few years back. Good if you like outsourced environments - there is a lot of use of outsourcing here so if you are into that type of environment, you could fit right in here.

ConsLots of outsourcing, most people are just there for the paycheck. The environment is often described as long-time employees as "toxic". Personal growth opportunities are now largely limited due to the outsourcing -- being promoted likely means more late-night calls with teleworkers and remote teams.

Not bad, but limited opportunities for growth

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA (US)

ProsNice environment, but mostly because of a great direct manager.

ConsLimited opportunities for career growth.

Principal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only positive is Etrade has nice and hardworking employees.

ConsNo career growth
    Old and outdated technologies
    Under staffed
    Stuck in the past

Run Away

Client Service Manager (Former Employee) Sandy, UT (US)

ProsSmart friends who never ran away

ConsThis place is horrible. I've seen so many colleagues replaced and asked why when I saw their replacement. It is an environment that no respectable human being can thrive in unless they are willing to sell their soul.

Great training and good experience

Financial Service Representative, Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)

ProsMy colleagues at E*Trade were great. I also had a very supportive manager. The benefits are good and included insurance for domestic partners. I felt the pay was fair and the training was superb.

ConsCall center work can eventually wear on an individual. There is such an emphasis on leads that sometimes one can feel like they are a child being constantly poked and prodded. Employee interface is not particular efficient and would cause unnecessary customer delays. Most opportunities seem to be lateral unless one goes into sales or management, although advancing from an entry-level rep is definitely encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen finances get better, improve the system that reps use. Also, consider more definition of sales versus service roles. Service sometimes feels like their sole job is to feed leads to FC's. FC's lessen the value of their role by dumping service issues back to reps. Improving intra-department communication would also help smooth transition of new assets to company. While the website is really good, there are some functions that really seem to need improvement but are simply neglected.

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!