E*TRADE Financial

Updated 21 January 2015
Updated 21 January 2015
2.8

Paul T. Idzik

Pros
  • Etrade values work life balance and offers opportunities to advance in your career path (in 16 reviews)

• The Series 7 and 63 training is free and useful in other jobs (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • could improve in employee work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Call center work can eventually wear on an individual (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work environment.

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly and non-competitive at the lower level. People did their work and mind their business. There has been a major change in management. At one point, one VP pretty much ran the whole operations area and he was totally out of touch with how the departments actually worked. Over the last few years, E*Trade has brought in a much better management team with professionals from some major companies. You can slowly see the changes for the better.

Cons

Little chance for advancement at the lower level. Salary is consistent meaning no big raises.

Have the different departments cross train with each other and I mean really sit down and work in that area for a period of time. At one point, E*Trade made the different departments within Operations present their business during lunch. I believe it was called, Lunch & Learn. This was a complete waste of time and people attended due to pressure from management. Nobody actually listen or retain information.

first time

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

learning opportunities, good manager, resources

Cons

poor pay, long hours, little benefits

pay better

Meh

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities for training and advancement if you are motivated.

Cons

Pay is a little below industry standard.

Great Company

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

Stable Company that's been around for a long time.

Cons

Lots of old timers. Old school, risk averse mentality.

Be open to change!

Work Environment

Current Employee - Risk Management in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Management in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Executive leadership now in place recognizes the value of risk management. More structure has been employed which will ensure that the firm continues to grow and provide value added products to our customers.

Cons

Lack of leadership training and succession planning making it difficult to grow your career in most, not all, departments. The leadership training is left up to senior management over the department.

Employ a firm wide leadership training program and hold all senior managers accountable for developing leaders within their team.

HIGH Turnover!

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff that really try to help each other.

Cons

Poor compensation. Managers struggle to get stuff done with insufficient resources and blame staff for short comings...as a result, the smart people leave the not-so-smart to finish the job.

Make sure to ask about the turnover during your interview and confirm the facts with HR before making your decision.

Grow up!

Unfortunately I cannot recommend working for E*TRADE at this point in time.

Current Employee - Corporate Service Financial Consultant in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Service Financial Consultant in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

(1) E*TRADE Pro is a good application with a lot of usable functionality.

(2) Equity Edge appears to be a good application. The reason why I say that is because I'm only familiar with the functionality not the reporting capabilities. Tax reporting is essential due to the nuances of stock plan compensation. Assuming that the reporting is there (and I think it is) then it is a good application with a lot of usable functionality.

(3) The Mutual Fund All-Star List published on Etrade.com has a lot of good funds on it. There is a wide selection of classes, sectors, and geographies. Bottom-line, the funds on that list are good performers over time.

Cons

(1) The job description does not accurately depict the actual daily tasks and how those tasks are measured. The compensation is unnecessarily complex and can change mid-year which seems like a odd business to me.

(2) Life at the retail branches is disconnected from the online experience. The facilities are dated based on 1970's layouts so an infusion of capital improvement needs to happen as soon as possible.

(3) The managed account offerings (MIP & UMA) are substandard. One would expect ~7% average annual rate of returns but the actual is ~5%. My educated guess is because the funds used are A-shares not institutional class.

Stop trying to be the next Amazon, Facebook, Schwab, Fidelity, etc. and just focus on being the best E*TRADE. Also, if you want to hire advisors with an existing book of business, then advertise it that way because otherwise it's misleading. I'm an optimist so I hope things turn around but unfortunately I cannot recommend working for E*TRADE at this point in time.

Redline

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at E*TRADE Financial

Pros

A good learning environment for beginners.

Cons

Micro managed and way over-worked.

Dump the junk accounts and properly staff the queue. One person doing the work of five people isn't kosher.

Financial Consultant

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good people work there, current management is good, moving the company in the right direction. Guaranteed good friends will be made there. Becoming more of a presence in the investment advice arena. Salary plus quarterly bonus structure, but the bonus can fluctuate quite a bit, sometimes 0 for a quarter which can be tough. However the bonus is uncapped, some people can do really well, others struggle.

Cons

Extreme micro management from the top down. Many different systems are used to manage clients, view client accounts, view your compensation, etc. wish it was all better integrated. Abundance of leads but not a great lead qualification system. Limited product line for clients although it will expand. Seems as though departments within the company do not work together enough FOR THE CLIENT; a product of many departments being understaffed.

Current management is doing a good job of cleaning up balance sheet issues that plagued the company a few years ago, things definitely look up. They are saying the right things to give employees the impression that things will be much better in the future but actions speak louder than words, time for some more actions to happen.

E*TRADE Financial Photos