EBRD Reviews

3.2

EBRD President Suma Chakrabarti
Suma Chakrabarti

Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, a lot of traveling involved

Cons

Beaurocratic, sometimes slow paced, have to be ready to move to different countries to advance

Great experience

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- nice and friendly staff (colleagues)
    - great benefits
    - each member of staff has 2 days off per month
    - no people turnover

Cons

- people hold their positions for years preventing new enthusiastic people come to the Bank and move it forward

It was the best I have worked in my whole career!

I worked at EBRD as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Despite being a contractor, I have made lots of great friends. I have learnt a lot and learnt what is like to work with people from many, many different countries.

Cons

It is a place where if you know the right people you will definitely advance in your career, otherwise you can forget about that.

New talented, smart employees do not stay very long when they realise what the Bank is really like.

I have been working at EBRD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Outstanding benefits
    Diverse

Cons

Slow paced and beuraucratic
    IT infrastructure is either 20 years old or non-existant
    Calibre of many employees is poor and individuals tenure is long as there is no where else for them to go and they are overpaid for what they do.
    The Bank employs more people than needed due to poor management and lack of any performance management frmework.
    New talented, smart employees never stay very long, once they realise what the Bank is really like they get out as soon as possible.
    Performance is measured by length of service resulting in people with very little experience in relatively senior positions.
    Office space is dated and uninspiring.

The EBRD would benefit from some new commercial blood hired into senior management positions and then restructured in the lower levels. A move towards a performance based culture would allow the Bank to cut out "dead wood" allowing it to be more efficient and results driven. Abolish the Presidential structure where decisions are based on the politics of re-election as opposed to decision being made in the best interest of the Bank.

Appalling

I worked at EBRD as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Met some really nice people worth keeping in touch with.
    Nice offices
    Good CV experience
    Great cafeteria

Cons

Some people are in management roles although they are not cut for it. They are given the power of making decisions, when in reality they should just be kept in normal administrative positions. Unnecessary management positions are create in order to get some individuals advanced, when in reality there is no need for them to do so. Progression is very often stopped due to these individuals' personal dislikes, not considering that hard worker employees could actually be a good asset for the Bank.

Invest more in young management. Invest more on people who actually value work integrity more than a glass of wine (or two) over lunch hours.

The Board needs to change the senior management

I worked at EBRD

Pros

-work on exciting projects
    -get a lot of responsibility
    - great experience
    - good visibility in the market
    - great insurance
    - good job security
    - zero impact for failed deals
    - good cafeteria

Cons

The Bank is very bureaucratic and the senior managment (BGDs) exemplifies cronyism.
    - all the business group directors and many of the directors need to be changed
    - most managers have not worked outside of the bank ever or not in a very long time (more than 10 years)
    - many people are/were promoted based on their passport, friendships within the bank and their length of service (we were told we had to hire one analyst because his passport was under-represented at the bank)
    - it is very difficult trying to sign deals when your manager does not understand the business and is more focused on internal politics
    - senior managers are promoted for doing whatever their BGD wants (often unclear what the end goal is) rather than doing the best commercially viable deals and fulfill the mission of the bank
    - senior managers do not ever intend to work outside the bank so just do whatever will get them promoted within the bank or at least will never get them fired
    - senior management is all aligned along certain language/passport/and alumni of the same 1 or 2 universities. If you do not have these you will never move up. Totally demotivating
    - HR and the ombudsman cannot help you if your bullying boss is well-connected (I was witness to this happening in my team and it was very obvious to everyone)

- do not hire or promote people based on their passport or connections (the review process for promotion ensures this because your manager needs to ask many "friends" to sign off on your promotion from around the bank, many of which will never have had much to do with you; conversely it makes it easy for managers to ring their friends to obstruct a promotion while seemingly having put it forward)
    - hire from the outside for director's roles which require industry experience rather than promote people from within with zero industry experience
    - the Board needs to change the senior management as they will never change themselves.

One of the most disorganised I.T depts I have ever worked in with my 20+ years experience.

Current Employee - I T SUPPORT in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - I T SUPPORT in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EBRD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

An investment bank role looks good on my C.V! That's about it. Was not entitled to any staff benefits being a external contractor (which is fine) but yet expected to perform to the same level and motivation as perm' staff who get many rewards and we were part of the same team.

Cons

Management very adverse to positive change and progression. Many have been there for years so have their 'best friends' working alongside them so there is a very 'clicky' culture and if you do not fit in - do not expect to go far.

See past your own appraisal/bonus objectives, appreciate the constructive feedback received from staff (certainly new ones who have more experience in differing roles and come to EBRD with fresh eyes/ideas)and work with them to ensure a more robust I.T dept.

Great moral ethics

Current Employee - Control-M Technical Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Control-M Technical Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at EBRD as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

People use strange words like "please" and "thank you". I enjoy coming into work everyday. The people are really nice people.

I would recommend anyone to come and work here

Cons

The people on the trains getting here!!!

exciting work but restructuring needed

Current Employee - Principal Banker
    Current Employee - Principal Banker

I have been working at EBRD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- work on exciting projects, with plenty of resources
    - multi-cultural staff
    - great benefit package

Cons

- too much internal politics
    - senior management needs a serious turnaround
    - not enough reality check with private sector, sometimes disconnected from reality of the business environment

fresh blood urgently needed

Uninspiring, backward and behind the times

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at EBRD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has a subsidised staff restaurant with a great menu. You will have job security for life and the benefits are quite attractive (great private medical insurance)

Cons

Senior Managers are very old fashioned and behind their times. Total lack of dynamic and forward thinking, unfortunately very much to the detriment of the organisation and the Countries of Operations who are supposed to benefit. EBRD likes to set high standards for clients but when it comes to its own staff doesn't follow the same rules (e.g. gender equality is pretty poor but EBRD expects its clients to put in place policies for gender equality that it doesn't even expect of its own staff). This company is very poor in adapting to changing economic climates. The recent modernisation programme has more style than substance. The One Bank programme was supposed to introduce "Efficiency", "Modern Culture", "Innovation" and "Impact". Nice intranet pages but no action and no implementation. Don't expect to see change. Its not just the COO that are stuck in transition (as the latest transition report suggests), this institutions is seriously stuck itself and lacks any entrepreneurial spirit. There is no link between performance and reward either. Which explains the poor performance of senior management. There is no reward for excellent work. Promotion is by years of service and not performance (although they are trying to change this, however, since change doesn't happen we are back to square one.)

Sack underperforming managers and get rid of half of senior management. They neither inspire staff nor are the competent or capable stopping the younger generation of managers from moving this organisation into the 21st century. The staff survey even highlights that senior management have a poor perception but nothing is done about it or whatever they are trying to do is not effective.