EDF Trading

Be The First To
Add Photos

EDF Trading Chief Executive John Rittenhouse

John Rittenhouse

A great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsA great place to start and grow. Good starting salaries and performance based bonuses. Many young professionals keep it competitive; many whom are hungry to move up. Good training programs and opportunities to jump to other areas if you can show initiative. Very flexible in terms of family/work life. If the company is successful, everyone enjoys the spoils.

ConsUK/NA/Paris office differ in culture and direction. Sometimes it seems as though the EDF machine stalls with lack of clear objectives. There are some that have been there since the Lehman era that have hit a wall and really don't bring anything new to the company. Retention for top talent is not great. Bonuses for trading isn't just performance or book based but how the company does overall. Some good performing traders get shafted while others who get by reap in the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's hard to steer the North American ship with UK and Paris at the helm but try to become more independent. Great business model.

Still going through growing pains .

IT Support (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGreat culture and environment
    Good benefits
    Constant Challenges to keep you sharp.
    Access to new technology.

ConsManagement still learning how to manage
    Constant turnover n company officials.
    Minimal to no bonuses
    Hard to get a raise even to meet inflation.
    They have not figured out their identity yet. Shifting business strategies .

Good but no where near brilliant

ProsSalary is OK and so are bonuses. Good atmosphere.

ConsNo chance of progression. Hours can be very long when providing support.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a chance to progress

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job but no direction for the company.

Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsIt is a great work atmosphere. Culture and Values are very good. Compensation and Bonus structure is very nice. Good amount of perks. Back Office is well structured but its too top heavy.

ConsCompany has no sense of direction, Back Office is ok, but Front Office downsizes alot and then hires alot, retention rate is terrible. Senior Mgmt gives out mixed signals on growth. They do not take risks at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to structure EDF's relationship with EDF Trading in London, and figure out the relationship between EDF Trading in London with EDF Trading North America.

Good experience working for a leading trading firm

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople, experience, interesting transactions, international firm

ConsProcesses are a bit cumbersome.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on training.

EDF Trading North America

Power Trader (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsA great place to learn, grow, and propel your career.

ConsThe office location in Houston is not ideal for those who live inside the loop.

My intern experience

ProsCoworkers were willing to help

ConsThere wasn't an organized internship program

Internship was a great way to understand the challenges and changes in the energy industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsScale of the company is large. 4th largest natural gas marketer in the United States. Has the agility of a small company with the balance sheet of a world class utilities provider.

ConsIf you are not interested in a career in trading, the training opportunities in other business fields is limited. Great place if you want to trade commodities though.

Hard to get your footing in a very transitional environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe people that work (worked?) there are fun to be around. There are a lot of young people to connect and hang out with.

ConsManagement has a poor relationship with HR and, it seemed, with headquarters. There's a very high turnover among the higher levels of the organization. It's a very aggressive, competitive culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet yourselves together. Build a brand in the US as a company that people want to work for, and value your employees.

Disorganized and poor management/HR dynamics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPredominantly young, fun workforce. It's easy to make friends. The office is in a good location not too far from the Memorial area.

ConsThe trade floor is a bit of a boys' club; very competitive and aggressive. Managers and HR clash, with no one wanting to take ownership of issues that arise. There's some workplace drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake ownership of problems that come up.

Worked for EDF Trading? Contribute to the Community!