EMC

3.5 1,830 reviews

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,217 ratings)

Pros
  • work-life balance is good and you have chance working with lots of smart guys(in 162 reviews)

• There is also good flexibility around shifts or if there is the need to work from home(in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work/life balance - and not just in the US but in Europe as well(in 83 reviews)

• Becoming a really big company - small raises, can be political, but that goes with the territory of being at(in 44 reviews)

1,830 Employee Reviews

Great culture, focus on staff and customers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat focus on customers and on people. They look after high performers.

ConsSenior management outside local countries make distant decisions about employees. Offices are dull and need to get a more modern look.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company culture needs to move forward. It's a nice culture, but will it attract the future talent EMC needs?

Account Manager

Account Developemnet (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsOne of the most organised and dedicated organisation not only to it business goals but also to its staff

ConsAlthough Senior management are not interested in politics there is a lot of it in lower management.

Positive

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training opps, good management, good experience

ConsNo office atmosphere, ppl don't really socialise across teams, high pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam building

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with excellent vision and strategy

Systems Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAn environment that is constantly reinventing themselves to stay relevant

ConsHard to establish yourself in the organisation, need at least a year to fully understand the machine

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing

Insular, boys club mentality.

(Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThere are some great people. Most departments have a good working environment. Can't really think of much more I'm afraid.

ConsManagement is inexperienced. Talking to some of them is like listening to a recital of the latest Harvard Business Review. Tenure is more important than experience. Promotions are given to the in-crowd and those unlikey to rock the boat.

Products are falling behind the market - there are only so many start-ups you can acquire while claiming to have a coherent strategy and keeping the key people seems to be an issue. Regular spin-offs like VMWare and Pivotal deprive mainstream employees of career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending. Many of you lack the required experience to lead the business to success in a world that is very different to how it was when you joined 12-14 years ago. You've been navigating EMC while the market moved on.

Be suspicious of those who always agree with you. Be even more suspicious of those who can clearly identify what the problems are in their area but fail to share how they plan to fix them.

Embrace your channel - don't bully or threaten them - it's a free world and you need to earn their business. Their customers aren't impressed when they find out that the only reason a solution has been proposed was to keep you happy.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting Leading edge tech company
    Lots of training on offer, and certifications.

Consneed to find your way around the politics

Great culture, great people, great benefits

Senior Director (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGood culture with very competitive packages, good benefits and work life balance.

ConsI can't think of any (today)

Growing Pains

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Storage Technology, market leaders, good people and pays quite well

ConsAll the acquisitions changed the companies culture - not for the better
    Product Quality decreased.
    Very Bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't morph into an IBM or HP and trying to be everything to everyone

Good foundations, struggling to innovate, numbers driven.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Melbourne

Prosgood pay. good reputation. large customer base

Conssterile environment. extremely numbers driven

Large organisation with stacks of cash

Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsDepending on which group you are in - they are market leaders.

They have nice community focussed activities.

ConsToo many separate fiefdoms that don't collaborate - one division is actually partnering with another division's main competitor!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have many billions of free cash - stop the petty cost savings that hurt employee morale.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!