EMC

EMC Chairman, President, and CEO Joe Tucci

Joe Tucci

(1,106 ratings)

1,623 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Best Work Life Balance, lots of amazing work and teams if you can motivate yourself"
    in 123 reviews
  • "You can occasionally work from home if you have personal things to handle"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "Into Global Service dept there are very poor work/life balance and near to zero career opportunity"
    in 64 reviews
  • "EMC is a big company so not all divisions in the company do equally well"
    in 42 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC full-time

ProsInteresting Leading edge tech company
Lots of training on offer, and certifications.

Consneed to find your way around the politics

Insular, boys club mentality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some great people. Most departments have a good working environment. Can't really think of much more I'm afraid.

ConsManagement is inexperienced. Talking to some of them is like listening to a recital of the latest Harvard Business Review. Tenure is more important than experience. Promotions are given to the in-crowd and those unlikey to rock the boat.

Products are falling behind the market - there are only so many start-ups you can acquire while claiming to have a coherent strategy and keeping the key people seems to be an issue. Regular spin-offs like VMWare and Pivotal deprive mainstream employees of career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending. Many of you lack the required experience to lead the business to success in a world that is very different to how it was when you joined 12-14 years ago. You've been navigating EMC while the market moved on.

Be suspicious of those who always agree with you. Be even more suspicious of those who can clearly identify what the problems are in their area but fail to share how they plan to fix them.

Embrace your channel - don't bully or threaten them - it's a free world and you need to earn their business. Their customers aren't impressed when they find out that the only reason a solution has been proposed was to keep you happy.

Great culture, great people, great benefits

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood culture with very competitive packages, good benefits and work life balance.

ConsI can't think of any (today)

Growing Pains

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC full-time

ProsGreat Storage Technology, market leaders, good people and pays quite well

ConsAll the acquisitions changed the companies culture - not for the better
Product Quality decreased.
Very Bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't morph into an IBM or HP and trying to be everything to everyone

Good foundations, struggling to innovate, numbers driven.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)
Melbourne

I worked at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood pay. good reputation. large customer base

Conssterile environment. extremely numbers driven

Large organisation with stacks of cash

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDepending on which group you are in - they are market leaders.

They have nice community focussed activities.

ConsToo many separate fiefdoms that don't collaborate - one division is actually partnering with another division's main competitor!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have many billions of free cash - stop the petty cost savings that hurt employee morale.

If EMC purchase your company, get out.

North Sydney

I have been working at EMC

ProsAs a big multinational you have slightly more job security than if you worked for a smaller, more dynamic but higher risk company.

ConsThey have moved their development work to India. All "centers of excellence" are areas that pay their workers less money. The company is basically so huge that nobody really knows exactly what it going on. Statistics are used by upper management, but everyone else know what they are looking for so they make up the figures - they are normally 2 steps ahead of the management. From a customer's viewpoint, their Powerlink system, which they tout as excellent, is pathetic and most of the client base don't want to use it. It's hard to get consultancy work going, hardware support doesn't seem excellent, they have no idea how to do software development. Don't talk to me about CAS... addressing storage via a hash of the content seems to me to be HIGHLY risky!

On top of this, they not only outsourced existing work to India, they reduced everyone's salary by 5%, then immediately got into a bidding war with NetApp to puchase Data Domain.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to your employees. Don't tell us that offshoring your support or development is a good idea. Your IT department is hopeless. Powerlink is terrible. Morale is low - you need to improve it somehow. How about paying people what they are worth?

EMC - run!

Not Saying (Current Employee)

I have been working at EMC

ProsMy existing team. Not much else good to say.

ConsScrew you over on pay and hours. Make you do a massive employment appraisal, then do nothing. Make you do hundreds of useless courses. Have the worlds most braindead call tracking system, I have literally never seen anything like it. Everyone is told to do things one way and then immediately find a way to get around the bone-dead decisions made by management. They don't know how to keep key staff. Employee satisfaction very low. IT helpdesk is not a helpdesk. For example, they still require the use of Internet Explorer 6 - how can this be a technology driven company?!?

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously, you bought so many companies you have no idea what to do with them all. Your internal systems suck very badly, how you know what is actually going on in your company I really don't know. Lean Six Sigma sounds great fellas, but I don't see a very lean or efficient company.

Open and friendly culture and people

Human Resources (Current Employee)
North Sydney

I have been working at EMC

ProsOpen and friendly culture and people. Work hard and celebrate culture. People are genuinely interested in promoting EMC and are proud to work at EMC. Management have an open door policy where they are always approachable. There is a strong focus on innovation, creativity and improvements. Benefits are an attractive add on.

ConsThe bar for high performance is set very high and this can be a very motivating factor because success and high performance are rewarded and recognised, but it a fast pace environment that not everyone would succeed in.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that senior management are doing a great job.

great place to learn

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at EMC

ProsGreat place for developing your skills as they have numerous technical learning options. They have a lot seminars regarding new products and their online self training center is great as well.

ConsBig company so you're just a number. For consultants i don't agree with some of their travel policies - e.g. There were times when people were required to fly back every weekend from a project site instead of having the option to just stay on on site - even though the flight costs were higher than the hotel costs!

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

Worked for EMC? Contribute to the Community!

EMC Videos

EMC – Why Work for Us?

A passion for learning, innovating and success EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver information technology as a service (ITaaS). Fundamental to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at EMC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for EMC CEO Joe Tucci. All 1,623 reviews are posted anonymously by EMC employees.