ESPN

ESPN Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

ESPN President John Skipper

John Skipper

Pros
  • clearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family(in 11 reviews)

• Great team, Awesome work life balance, Opportunity to learn(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The scale on Work/Life balance is definitely tilted toward work(in 11 reviews)

• Long hours and traveling was constant(in 17 reviews)

Senior Manager

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsA great company. Good to their employees. Great benefits and incentives & activities.

Everything done there is an excellent product. The best it can be. One can take pride in that. I loved that about the company. It is a class act!

ConsIt's huge company so staffs work life can be dramatically difference. It can feel like you are in a non-stop factory if you are in production, 24/7/365. Some never having holidays or a 2 days weekend off (just 2 single days during the week). OR you can have a stressful and intense but not long hour job as I did. I was compensated very well. Schedules and hours can vary big time from group to group.

They will get you at the lowest salary that they can so get all you can in the beginning. Most people just jump on board to work for ESPN.

If you have to live in Bristol, CT. Well....it's Bristol, CT. Long cold snowy winters.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so afraid to get rid of upper management that is not good for the company and employees. Too many overpaid positions where people are doing very little and coasting along at the expense of the company, a head count doing nothing but the minimum and creating bad moral for those who report to them. Many people want to be excellent there. Let them and cut the others who seem untouchable for some reason.

world wide leader

Announcer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosgreat place and SOOO fun

Consdont expect rapid advancement,, there is a lot of ;paying your dues'

Advice to Senior Managementjust keep on doiin what youre doin

Intense and sometimes rewarding, but unfocused.

Technology and Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Bristol, CT (US)

ProsVery exciting and fast moving, with several intangible perks.

ConsLack of focus in determining direction

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work! Great people to work with!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsYoung people working hard and doing their best to succeed. Great work enviornment surronded by a "sportish" feeling. Lots of challanges to be faced.

ConsThe company is not its market leader in the country, which makes businees harder here. There is, somehow, a lack of established procedures which makes decision making more difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo whatever they can to be as big as ESPN is in the US in the local operation.

ESPN- To Serve the Fan

Director of Programming (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI really enjoyed my time working with ESPN and Disney, especially in the London, England office. It was the best years of my career.

ConsMy division was downsized because of financial reason, which is fine, I accept the fact that it was a business.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend more people on training courses, I found my participation in Leadership Discovery very rewarding and still use aspects I learned almost everyday.

Very fun

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Bristol, CT (US)

ProsPeople are cool and management is relaxed. Hours are relaxed nobody looking down your throat counting minutes. Do a good job and people dont care how long you work.

ConsThere isnt much going on for a young person in the hartford/bristol area. Theres somewhat of a lack of structure from above, takes a very long time for big projects to develop

X Games Event Staff

Event Staff (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsVolunteerism and philanthropy are highly valued here.

ConsThe X Games left LA for Austin, TX.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopeful the X Games will someday return to Los Angeles, CA.

Production Intern

Production Intern (Current Employee) Bristol, CT (US)

ProsComing to work everyday is exciting, offers excellent benefits, top-notch facilities, and unrivaled opportunity for networking in the sports industry.

ConsConsumes your life, promotions are difficult to come by unless you are very long tenured, it's a corporation and while it sounds glamorous it is a job.

It's not just a job ... it's your life

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bristol, CT (US)

ProsPeople look at you in awe when you tell them you work at ESPN. A great place to hone your skills. Most people are willing to teach you anything they know.

ConsRecognition doesn't always come from what you do. A lot depends on who you know and how well you praise them. The scale on Work/Life balance is definitely tilted toward work. Its very hard to do balance life when work takes up your life 24/7

ESPN has an incredible amount of smart and talented employees, but is the bloom coming off the rose?

Prosclearly the leader in sports media and technology and part of the Disney family

Consorganization can feel siloed and you can see the impact of the pressures of the increased competition in the sports media landscape

Advice to Senior ManagementSkipper has done a solid job so far, but some of the cultural strength of the organization left with Bodenheimer.

Worked for ESPN? Contribute to the Community!