EY

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 4,214 reviews

EY Global Chairman and CEO Mark Weinberger

Mark Weinberger

Pros
  • Policies on flexible-working supports the principle of a work-life balance (in 199 reviews)

• it's a good place to start your career (max 3 yrs) or good if you have a family (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work life balance; not enough staff to meet client needs; quite political (in 582 reviews)

• Same cons as working at any consulting firm -- you will be work long hours (in 634 reviews)

More Highlights
4,214 Employee Reviews

Very flexible workplace

Tax Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsIt has been very flexible with maternity leave and flexible work arrangements. Also, great people work here.

ConsIt is such a large firm it is sometimes hard to see positive change happen.

A great employer with great people.

ProsVariety of experience and areas

ConsSometimes you can feel lost if you are not booked on a engagement

Great place to start career

Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat peer group and colleagues
    Some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure of working with

ConsA lot of working late just to be seen

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EY is hard work but can provide great experience when you take advantage of the opportunities available.

Assurance Services Senior (Current Employee)

Prospeople and culture, flexibility, global and differing service line opportunities

Conswork-life balance gets away from everyone quickly, constantly understaffed due to high turnover

very good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was only an intern but it was a very good experience and accurate example of what a career there would be like.

Consthere were no cons. I thoroughly enjoyed y time there

Senior Manager - Financial Services

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

Pros- Enthusiastic people
    - Young and vibrant culture
    - Great client base
    - Excellent Learning and Training programs
    - Good start to career

Cons- Long working hours
    - Less pay compared to industry

Advice to Senior Management- Take People survey seriously

Strong Foundation for a career in Consulting

Senior Consultant III (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsAt EY you may work harder than in the industry but you will gain a lot of base skills that are applicable in any industry. Not everyone is cut out for a consulting job. Those that are driven, like a challenge and like to work with different people be it clients or team will enjoy working in EY as a consultant in the advisory practice.

ConsBy far the main con working at EY is the Pay for the amoutn of hours you put into the work. Yes you wont get paid a lot for your effort but you are working for a multinational company and gaining skills that are applicable world wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter work life balance and flexibly would be favorable to staff retention.

Assurance

Staff Accountant (Current Employee) Brisbane

ProsGreat learning experience, multicultural environment, on-going professional development opportunities, some good people to work with

Consworking hours can get quite long during busy season, over-time not well compensated.

Good place to start a career

Pros- Great opportunities for career development
    - Friendly people are also great to work with
    - Great culture and a real team feel to projects
    - Flexible working arrangements
    - Easy to discuss personal circumstances with managers

Cons- Salary is below average as expected
    - There are long hours expected when projects are due and timelines are tight
    - Timesheets can be very confusing
    - High employee turnover as most people leave after obtaining a CA to pursue more lucrative salaries

Advice to Senior Management- More competitive salary with signing bonuses would be attractive

I have enjoyed my time at EY. I work with great people and have learnt a lot.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsGlobal brand, well respected, great opportunities.

ConsRed tape and bureaucracy, lower than market remuneration, long hours, hierarchical

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!