Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is available to those who are not driven toward stratospheric career achievement"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Location of Cororate Headquarters - Kingsport is a great place to live"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Transition... This ship does not turn on a dime!

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong culture of safety. Establishing a vision and long term strategy. Mid to upper level directors and manager are seasoned and know the ropes (in most cases). Strong balance sheet with inorganic growth vision that will bring non-tradition opportunities for Eastman.

ConsTransitioning to new Leadership Team (CEO, COO, CTO) back filling with seasoned internal candidates that have never had to make the tough decisions. CEO influence will dominating the near to long term vision (He is an consultant / outsider view) that has surrounded himself with "Yes" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDebate with facts and figures that shapes the vision.

Great experience, but not for me

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany is devoted to personal and professional development of the employees. Five star company to work for.

ConsJust my personal preference, but I did not enjoy working inside the plant itself. It is dirty and loud. Others may not have an issue with this but I did. Also, when hired in to the job, I did not have a full understanding of what my job responsibilities would be. I did not get a chance to see my office or get a good feel of what the day to day activities would be like. Had I seen those things, I probably would not have taken the position. It wasn't a good fit for me. Also, as an electrical engineer, the role was looked at as support, rather than lead. Looking at management, most of those people have a chemical or mechanical background since those roles drive the company. It's difficult for an electrical person to get noticed, but not impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the employees that you hire are put in a position that they enjoy.

Great Company to work for!

Team Manager (Current Employee)
Martinsville, VA (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat core values that are upheld.

ConsNone to mention, great company.

Use to be a great company to work for but has been raped of most good things

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAbout the only game in town. Pays slightly above average but local companies are catching up quickly.

ConsAverage worker extremely under valued and often referred to as useless pawns that can be replaced at any time. Huge pay differential from salaried positions to operations roll employees. No incentive for operations roll employees to do anything other than show up because the Old bonus system was given to the upper echelon and replaced with a VIP (variable incentive plan) that amounts to basically a weeks pay. Not fair or equitable as lower management and above share the take and give nothing to the employees doing the work. Made more real money 20 years ago. Sad the direction this company is going by taking away benefits and decent pay. 20 years ago you could not pay someone to say anything bad about Eastman. Now, only employees rating company higher are either paid or scared.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the foot soldiers, as they are truly the backbone of the company. VIP award is a joke with the performance we have had recently.

takes years to move to abetter position

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

Prostime for personal life, constant meetings, good working tools to employees, usually take time to

Conseverything is so standarized that trying to innovate on a procedure is almost unachievable, unless the new talent is ready to wait years for a promotion, employees will go.

Advice to Senior Managementthink of ways to not loose talented people. Heads up for HR to check out working atmosphere

Flawed ideology and spineless management

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

ProsChallenging work and lots of it to go around. Best pay in the area if you want to sell your soul.

ConsManagers are spineless and throw workers under the bus at the first sign of problems. All accidents are preventable culture is equivalent of an ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccidents are not always preventable. Have managers hold the right people accountable instead of the masses. New blood from outside the company is needed badly! Let's start acting internally how our external persona portrays. Hold managers to a higher standard. We're all adults here, let's start by treating our people like adults and holding individuals responsible for their own actions.

Good company that develps people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Capelle aan den IJssel (Netherlands)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood personal development and IT infrastructure.

ConsPoor individual promotional outside US

best job in local area

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Prosbest job in local area

Conschanging insurance to lower coverage and losing physicians

Great company to work for!

Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsVariety of career paths to choose

ConsI walk about a 1/2 a mile to get to my building from my car

A company not very open in its culture

Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was lucky to profit from the natural gas boom. Also as a global company, it may provide a lot of opportunities globally.

ConsClose culture. Plenty of politics. Location of its global headquarter. Benefit packages not competitive or motivating.
One year, due to bad performance, the company had a -3% merit increase for everyone, instead of having the gut to make tough decision and make the business leaner and more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove your global headquarter and hire talents according to their strengths.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastman Chemical reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Eastman Chemical CEO Mark J. Costa. All 473 reviews are posted anonymously by Eastman Chemical employees.