Eastman Chemical

Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa

Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Eastman is a unique place that values work-life balance and giving back to the community (in 41 reviews)

• Pay packages are competitive, especially when you take into account the low cost of living in Kingsport (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being based out of a small town provides unique opportunities as well as challenges (in 23 reviews)

• Sometimes to much burocracy which is taking the speed out of the decision making process (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Not your everyday chemical company!!

Market Insight and Strategy Specialist (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsExcellent culture; great benefits; challenging/value added work

ConsHuge organization; lots of information to master

This is the best place where I've ever worked.

Director (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsPeople at Eastman are willing to help you with whatever project you're working on. I've never felt such a team spirit at any other company. Also, whether its someone in manufacturing or someone in a business office, everyone seems to be focused on the same things to move the company forward

ConsCompetition from companies in other countries continues to increase and increase quickly. It's sometimes hard to stay ahead or even keep up. Plus the company has grown quite a bit in the last 3-5 years and alot of change has occurred. The changes haven't necessarily been bad, but there's been constant change.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the performance review program. It could hurt the team spirit and team attitude if employees start having to compete with each other. We need to be a team and focus on competing with outsiders-- not competing with our own colleagues for a bigger bonus or promotion.

Company that Cares

Engineer (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsWith a large company comes various job opportunities. At the largest sites, you can move into different job functions and never have to physically uproot your family. Eastman is working hard to do their part to minimize industry's impact on the environment. Eastman is very supportive of family and promotes good work-life balance.

ConsSeveral outside upper level managers are being brought in who don't understand the "family" culture that Eastman has had for many years. However, some are trying to understand it and make positive changes and improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because some other company is doing it doesnt make it the right thing for Eastman. Remember that your employees are your number one asset.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for a long career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsOver the long haul, the company has continuously worked to have an ethical, high valued, quality culture. This for the most part makes the company a great place to work.

ConsIt is not a company with much opportunity to live in a large metro area. Most locations are smaller communities which is both a positive and a negative. It depends upon your view.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to act humbly and to plan for the long term.

Growth company that puts safety first, has an inviting culture, and headquartered in a great community.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsThe Eastman culture is by far the best I have ever experienced. The commitment to safety is extraordinary. The focus on growth and innovation is impressive and exciting. The opportunities for professional growth is greatly supported. The diverse workforce works well together at common goals. The headquarter is located in a pleasant community that is family friendly, offers many special activities, and has many great educational systems.

ConsOccasionally, meetings are overwhelming and hinder contributing to the bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue appreciating the culture, community, and people as each are a great asset to the company.

Wonderful Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsEastman is committed to work/life balance, as well as safety. Benefits & Compensation are competitive. Eastman provides a wonderfully diverse culture. I enjoy meeting new people everyday and working with an exceptional group of people.

ConsBusiness Support personnel do not receive any paid sick leave so if you miss any work due to unforeseen health reasons then you must file short term disability. It would be nice if they offered a set amount of hours a year for paid sick time before an employee would need to contact the employee service center for short term disability compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great company, but not sure how much more we can do with less or the same resources...

Market Development Manager (Current Employee) Kingsport, TN (US)

ProsGood opportunity to learn and grow.

ConsConstant increase in responsibilities without additional compensation is creating a lot of exhaustion. Company is doing well, but morale doesn't reflect it because the grind isn't letting up.

Outstanding Place to work!

ProsOrganizational values, specifically the quality of life they focus on for employees. The organization values individuals, and wants to see you succeed, but not at the cost of your family life.

ConsUltra conservative culture, which can be challenging to navigate. Additionally, it can cause a mindset of 'we don't do that here', which can also be challenging to navigate.

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect the core culture at all costs - the quality of life that is part of the org culture is a key differentiator in the market place.

Continues to evolve brilliantly.

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsThe company is focused on innovation, productivity, performance and growth, not just of the company but employees as well. The company treats employees fairly and well, particularly high performers and high potential employees.

ConsGiven the global footprint, it is a relatively more diverse and challenging place to work. However, it is a good place for top talents looking to gain a global perspective to work.

A great place to work!

ProsGreat managers that want to support you to reach your full potential. Employees are hard-working, intelligent and passionate about the company and are rewarded for this with great employee benefits.
    The safety of employees is a priority for Eastman so it’s nice to know that we work for a company that genuinely cares for its employees.

ConsCan be slow to act at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore decisions and approvals should be made regionally to speed things up and improve productivity.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!