Eastman Chemical

Updated 17 November 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 80 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Very welcoming, high performing culture

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is dedicated to growth - for it's employees and earnings
    I've had an opportunity to work for some of the best leaders of my career
    I trust my manager
    Heavy focus on welliness - even a '4 dollar healthy meal deal' that is partily paid for by the company
    Really great computer hardware - computers, monitors, phones

Cons

Retirement and health benefits are not top tier
    Some of the people processes could be updated

Be seen more.

One of the best places to work

Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing collaborative culture, good mentoring habbits for new employees and fresh graduates, nurturing environment and very competitve. Excellent work life balance and the benefits are decent. Lots of oppurtunities for training and personal growth

Cons

being a growing company diversity is a fairly new concept. Being a global company, management can spend some time teaching its employees about diversity and immigration in particular.

Great place to spend a career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Highly team-oriented, very ethical, committed to excellence, strong leadership, innovative.

Cons

Many excellent opportunities to work on. Need to get better at the discipline to focus on the vital few.

Great first impression that has not tarnished over time.

Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Eastman has worked hard to foster an inclusive environment for their employees. There is a strong emphasis on team work, but the individual is not forgotten in the process. There are numerous opportunities for training, growth and advancement without giving up your family in the process.

Cons

As with a lot of big companies, there does seem to be some duplication of recordkeeping activities and paperwork that can be frustrating. However, this is gaining some recognition at higher levels and it appears that some efforts may be underway to address some of the duplication.

Please be careful when pushing for a more competitive work force. Competitiveness, when not properly managed, can breed cut throat behavior and will drive people away from productive teamwork.

Awesome place to work!!!

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dynamic company with great products! Eastman products are everywhere in our daily lives and it is great to be part of that. I am proud to be working at Eastman! Great people, great opportunities! Good salaries and other benefits.

Cons

Sometimes Eastman is perceived old school but I believe we are changing that.

Stay on our current track of growth and bringing this company from good to great!

A Large Company with Work/Life Balance at the Forefront

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eastman Chemical is a strong company that is focused on future growth. It is a great company to work for and has a very competitive compensation plan.

Cons

Eastman is a very large company, so making changes to anything can be a very time consuming operation.

A great company that puts culture and core values above all other performance measures

Current Employee - Principal Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It sounds cliche'd, but I love working here because of the people I work with. Once you find out someone is an Eastman employee, you feel like you already know what kind of person he/she is. Don't get me wrong - we're not perfect, and there is a misfit every once in awhile, but for the most part, the Eastman employees are the type of people you enjoy working beside. In addition, I've been here 10 years, and I've truly felt that every position I've had has been more about how Eastman can develop me and mold me than it's been about what I can contribute to Eastman - that's worth staying for!

Cons

As other reviews have said, Eastman is a big company that tends to move a little slow at time. The converse to this, of course, is that the size of the company also seems to provide some stability - one or two businesses can struggle, but Eastman overall is still successful, so it doesn't tank the whole company. It might be common in the chemical industry in general, but sometimes there is a big of a wide chasm between the salary-type positions and the hourly.

Keep up in the direction we are moving - I think emphasizing core values, personal wellness (including work/life balance), and continuous improvement, as we have been, will keep us moving forward.

Good people, good work-life balance, good company outlook.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of folks worth making friends with and who will freely offer their time to work with you. The culture is not one based on competition, ends-justify-the-means, etc. Management doesn't expect you to live at work, though the realities of working in a chemical plant means that there are occasional demands to work outside of your routine schedule.

Cons

The company has a bimodal age distribution with most of the management much older. This is changing and provides opportunities as those individuals retired, but does result in a slow-to-change culture that can sometimes be frustrating. Most Eastman sites aren't located in major metropolitan areas so if that's important to you Eastman may not be a good fit.

Great!

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

So many opportunites and training are available to employees for career development and personal growth. Many health and recreational programs are provided to employees and their families. I feel it is definitely the BEST place to work in the area...maybe anywhere!!

Cons

Sometimes the size of the company makes it difficult to keep up with everyone although the company does a great job with the many sites of info on our intranet website.

Deal with problems of poor performing lower management and do not let them destroy morale and work efficiency due to their poor self-image and lack of knowledge and their acting like a boss instead of a leader.

Eastman is a growing company that cares about me and my peers.

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman's care for its employees is evident in the core values (Safety expectations, Fair Treatment, Eastman Advantage), employee development (including leadership development) and focus on wellness / work-life balance.

Cons

Growth is very positive. However, with growth there is resource dilution and increased complexities (existing comprensation strategies may not fit every area that Eastman in which has empolyees, etc.) which must be managed.

See above.