Eastman Chemical Reviews

Updated 7 April 2015
839 reviews filtered by

1. Fall Internship in Longview

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros

The people truly are very kind and helpful at Eastman and in Longview. The projects I was given were not intern projects that had no purpose. They were genuine projects that saved the company money and I received the satisfaction of watching something I created being put to use.

Cons

I think the biggest con is getting used to Longview. Being from a city, Longview is a whole different world. However, the new hires and other interns made my time in Longview memorable and I ended up loving the city. It's not for everyone, but if you give Longview a chance, you will grow to like it.

2. Maintenance Engineer

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Good resources and trianing available.

Cons

Employee to job ratio is low.

Great Company with Great People

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Effective hiring process results in a great team of people. Culture is oriented around team results. Management is carefully selected and well-trained.

Cons

Processes are very bureaucratic and doing simple tasks can take significant time to go through red-tape. Company is very oriented around main Kingsport site so being at a satelite site can feel very disconnected from corporate resources.

Long and very satisfying career with Eastman so far. Great people! However, I am concerned...

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman actually does care about their team members and their well being. Lots of opportunities for those willing to engage the challenges and work hard on the solutions. For such a large company, integrity and ethical practices are still in very much in practice daily. I personally think this is the backbone of Eastman's strength.

Cons

Some of the management and leaders of acquisitioned companies seem to not practice the same level of teamwork and integrity as is the culture of Eastman. Have seen some of this behavior somewhat "tolerated" over the last year or so. Very concerning to me.

Advice to Management

Lots of great changes over the last 6 years and a strong company as a result however, do not stray to far from the fundamentals of what makes Eastman the great company it is. Integrity, Trust, Teamwork (especially across organizations, not just within a natural team), Work Life Balance, Manufacturing Excellence, etc.

Working for Eastman is becoming overrated.

Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Anniston, AL (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees can expect insurance and a paycheck. You can expect average wages with a declining benefits package.

Cons

Eastman does not care for their employees. We have a satellite human resource representative from another site. Questions constantly go unanswered while employees are left in the dark to figure out what we are losing next. We just lost our gym memberships after moving to a CDHP. They want you to be healthy, you just wont get any help from the company to get to that point. I hope you are not used to a Christmas bonus. Eastman's policy is $10 per person. Yes, a slap in the face. If you are a Christian, you probably won't even here Merry Christmas . It is replaced with Happy Holidays. The Managers don't listen. Production is a major priority while safety falls to the rear. The managers want all the credit when things are going good, but when things start going bad they want to blame the men in coveralls ( after you told them what was wrong). If Eastman wants to be the number one chemical company in the world they have a long way to go.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are not as dumb as you think. We are all in this together trying to work toward a common goal. We want to make Eastman a better place to work. Success starts at the bottom and goes up. It doesn't trickle down from the top. Try being good to your employees. If you want to be the best, you have to treat them like the are the best. Prediction: our company rank will continue to fall on glassdoor.

7. Loyal Employer

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Team-oriented culture, Family flexibility, focus on individual development, training

Cons

Processes mandated by larger companies, Integration growth pains, increasing health benefit costs

8. Supply Chain Analyst

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman has an aggressive growth strategy which has contributed to its success. As an employee, you feel such accomplishment being a part of that growth.

Cons

Health insurance policy could be improved upon.

9. Eastman is a great place to work, learn and be valued

Current Employee - Market Development Manager
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Eastman is a very innovative company which provides different paths for you to develop a strong career. The company is flexible, very results-oriented and it is always posing challenges to the teams. I feel valued at Eastman and like very much the way the company and my co-workers act and make decisions. Eastman is concerned about people from safety, health and family issues. My quality of life improved a lot after joining Eastman.

Cons

The company has made some acquisitions and people need to adapt to this new environment. It is just a matter of being adaptable but I am happy to see the company's growth! This is more a challenge than a cons.

New Recruits beware!

Former Employee - Technical Service Manager/Sales Development Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Collaborative Environment is excellent.
    2. People at Kingsport/regional sites are excellent.

Cons

1. If you are recruited to work at Eastman, be prepared to be used for the following information with little reward:
          a. Connections of a focus industry if you come from that industry.
          b. Manager not to be involved in your skill set development.
          c. Little Career Advancement because your manager will be a fellow Eastman colleague when you start. The manager will be promoted as a result of your experience/knowledge.
          d. Constantly yelled out by my manager who had little experience in the industry compared to myself.
    2. Overall Benefits are terrible. Health benefits are not good and minimal salary increases are given.
    3. Corporate Credit Card is really a personal credit card given by the company which the company reimburses for approved expenses.

Advice to Management

1. Appreciate your recruited employees better.
    2. Improve your benefits.

Great people, diverse work opportunities, ethical culture

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Eastman people are friendly, helpful, and always glad to share their knowledge and experience. Work schedules for most of us allow good work/life balance. At world headquarters in Kingsport, TN, there are opportunities to work in a huge variety of work assignments without having to relocate or change employers, so you need never grow bored or underchallenged. I go home each day feeling like I've made a difference for the good of other people (and myself). The pay is good, especially considering the low, small-city cost of living. Home-wise, we get the best of all worlds because the Tri-Cities has everything most of us need or want, and there are several good-sized (but not large or crime-ridden) cities within a few hours' drive for those who want bigger-city opportunities on weekends. Eastman is a good neighbor, helping fund local events and fully supporting the United Way, among other efforts.

Cons

The good work-life balance doesn't reach everybody; some business people are attached to their i-phones 24/7, and operators mostly work swing shifts which are hard on the body and mind. Benefits have eroded over the years (but are still good compared to other employers). "Benchmarking" seems to mean all peer companies are in a downward spiral as the best companies make a mad race to mediocrity, bringing the average down. There seem to be artificial caps on promotions so on average, it is a long time between merit reclassifications.

Advice to Management

Benchmark against the best instead of the average, when deciding whether your pay and benefits are where they need to be.