Eastman Chemical

Updated 22 November 2014
4.6

Eastman Chemical Chief Executive Officer Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

Pros
  • Many roles/supervisors are supportive of maintaining a good work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The compensation is competitive, especially considering the low cost of living in Eastern Tennessee (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Eastman is a company that is headquartered in a small town and has an aging employment base (in 31 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is frequently just lip service when it comes to direct management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing experience!

Former Employee - Pilot Plant Intern in Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pilot Plant Intern in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mid-size company that allows great hands-on experience and learning. The people and culture are amazing! Anyone and everyone is willing to help.

Cons

There were not many cons. Only con that I can think of is the location, but if you like East Texas, then by all means go ahead and apply to Eastman.

Great place to spend a career!

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Highly team-oriented, very ethical, committed to excellence, strong leadership, innovative.

Cons

Many excellent opportunities to work on. Need to get better at the discipline to focus on the vital few.

Great first impression that has not tarnished over time.

Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Eastman has worked hard to foster an inclusive environment for their employees. There is a strong emphasis on team work, but the individual is not forgotten in the process. There are numerous opportunities for training, growth and advancement without giving up your family in the process.

Cons

As with a lot of big companies, there does seem to be some duplication of recordkeeping activities and paperwork that can be frustrating. However, this is gaining some recognition at higher levels and it appears that some efforts may be underway to address some of the duplication.

Please be careful when pushing for a more competitive work force. Competitiveness, when not properly managed, can breed cut throat behavior and will drive people away from productive teamwork.

Great place to work and grow!

Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Integrated Global Supply Chain in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the best thing about working at Eastman! It's a supportive network that will help you learn and grow throughout your career. They genuinely care about your development. Ethical Chemical company isn't an oxymoron here. There's a big emphasis on safety and the sustainability movement is growing.

Cons

It seems to be difficult to attract diversity to the area, where more than 95% of the Tri-Cities area consists of non-hispanic whites.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It really is a great place to work. The pay is good, and benefits are comparable. There is ample opportunity for training and working with many different people. There is a sense of community and family. The company is growing with many opportunities in areas in which Eastman leads the market. Teamwork and networking are emphasized strongly. Safety is a top priority at Eastman.

Cons

Some things take a while to get initiated or to shift gears. Some of the petty things that should be a simple decision take a longer amount of time. Teamwork and networking are emphasized strongly, depending on your take on this.

Very welcoming, high performing culture

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is dedicated to growth - for it's employees and earnings
    I've had an opportunity to work for some of the best leaders of my career
    I trust my manager
    Heavy focus on welliness - even a '4 dollar healthy meal deal' that is partily paid for by the company
    Really great computer hardware - computers, monitors, phones

Cons

Retirement and health benefits are not top tier
    Some of the people processes could be updated

Be seen more.

One of the best places to work

Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Chemical Engineer in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing collaborative culture, good mentoring habbits for new employees and fresh graduates, nurturing environment and very competitve. Excellent work life balance and the benefits are decent. Lots of oppurtunities for training and personal growth

Cons

being a growing company diversity is a fairly new concept. Being a global company, management can spend some time teaching its employees about diversity and immigration in particular.

A great company to growup with.

Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Eastman over 35 years, I started out just out of high school and have been able to grow up with the feeling that I had a secure place to work and have able to support my family.
    Starting out as a labor and growing into a supervisor position has allowed me to really improve my families life even though I only graduated from high school. The benifits have always been competitive and pay one of the best in the area.

Cons

I have worked Shift schedule for the biggest part of my career. It has been challenging to balance personal life at times but the Company gives each employee paid vacation to be used and you may take it in different increments of time to help support our family and personal lifes. I have seen some of the benifits that were here when I came to work getting smaller, but they still remain competitive.

I would like to see some of the "Old School" type of caring about employees come back i.e. every employee and employee family member that belonged to the recreation club use to get a christmas present. We would bring our families out to recreation and the kids all go toys. Great time to met fellow emploees and their family members. I believe a lot of people will work their careers here now and never meet the upper managment. I personally have met most of them through my long career. We can't lose sight of our most valvuable asset, "Our Employee's" and their families.

A great company that puts culture and core values above all other performance measures

Current Employee - Principal Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Principal Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It sounds cliche'd, but I love working here because of the people I work with. Once you find out someone is an Eastman employee, you feel like you already know what kind of person he/she is. Don't get me wrong - we're not perfect, and there is a misfit every once in awhile, but for the most part, the Eastman employees are the type of people you enjoy working beside. In addition, I've been here 10 years, and I've truly felt that every position I've had has been more about how Eastman can develop me and mold me than it's been about what I can contribute to Eastman - that's worth staying for!

Cons

As other reviews have said, Eastman is a big company that tends to move a little slow at time. The converse to this, of course, is that the size of the company also seems to provide some stability - one or two businesses can struggle, but Eastman overall is still successful, so it doesn't tank the whole company. It might be common in the chemical industry in general, but sometimes there is a big of a wide chasm between the salary-type positions and the hourly.

Keep up in the direction we are moving - I think emphasizing core values, personal wellness (including work/life balance), and continuous improvement, as we have been, will keep us moving forward.

Good people, good work-life balance, good company outlook.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Longview, TX (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of folks worth making friends with and who will freely offer their time to work with you. The culture is not one based on competition, ends-justify-the-means, etc. Management doesn't expect you to live at work, though the realities of working in a chemical plant means that there are occasional demands to work outside of your routine schedule.

Cons

The company has a bimodal age distribution with most of the management much older. This is changing and provides opportunities as those individuals retired, but does result in a slow-to-change culture that can sometimes be frustrating. Most Eastman sites aren't located in major metropolitan areas so if that's important to you Eastman may not be a good fit.