Eaton Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
3.6

Eaton CEO & Chairman Sandy Cutler
Sandy Cutler

Pros
  • Reasonable benefits, work life balance depending on team, reasonable compensation (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for professional growth (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance can become an issue in most departments because of understaffing (in 21 reviews)

• If employees are working such long hours they at least need time away with their families (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Eaton as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I worked in the office but I love how you can interact and learn the building part to it also.

Cons

To me there weren't any cons. I enjoyed working there. People were great, job wasn't overwhelming.

Keep Eaton Charlotte, there are a lot of great hardworking people there who loves Eaton. I met a man who was there for a long time and he said he wanted to retire no place else but Eaton. He sounded so proud. I've learned a lot in my days at Eaton.

Engineer

I worked at Eaton

Pros

Qualified people, goal oriented, good benefits.
    Many long timers within the company with positive inclusion of new green talent.

Cons

Organization has been tightening the belt for five years and continues to do so. Most staff lack adequate backup support; work life balance is talked about; not necessarily promoted. Good people with heavy workload makes it difficult to prove themselves.

New leadership appears less visionary; more likely to make decisions based on past/current quarter performance.

Excellent Intern Experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Eaton as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Learned a lot about the Electrical services industry
    -Good pay for interns
    -Great work environment
    -HR did an awesome job

Cons

Sometimes had to work strange hours on weekends and nights, but there isn't really anything bad I would have to say about working for them. The internship was great. I would highly recommend it. Perhaps I will work for them full time in the future.

None.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Lead Engineering Tech  in  Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Engineering Tech in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, room to move up

Cons

NO work life balance... work, work, work!

stop thinking college degrees are the only means of a person being qualified for higher positions. People that didn't go to college have brains to!

Enriching learning Experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Work culture and work-life balance.

Cons

Nothing that I could see in my duration.

The leadership is really helpful.

Your experience may vary..

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Eaton as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I interned with Eaton twice and was assigned challenging projects and left behind genuine accomplishments useful to the business. I got to work with a wide range of equipment and was able to specialize in my own interests.

Cons

You get out what you put in, many other interns didn't seek out projects and ended up bored. Interns are primarily assessed by a 10 minute presentation at the end of assignment by a panel unfamiliar with their work or accomplishments and weighs this presentation heavily in the hiring process.

The internship assessment process is too heavily weighted on a single presentation. There is little recognition for exceptional work effort and the resulting accomplishments during the internship.

Great name and great company

I worked at Eaton full-time

Pros

Collaborative enviroment, great leadership great compan to work for in HR

Cons

Legacy Cooper locations need more Eaton presence and leadership from the top down. Not a lot of clear direction on business culture, growth and current state. A lot of unknowns.

OK for Comfortable

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program-Operations for Engineer (LDP-OE)  in  Syracuse, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Program-Operations for Engineer (LDP-OE) in Syracuse, NY (US)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive benefits, good for someone looking to settle down. Their rotational programs are great for people starting out, specially if they want to relocate every year.

Cons

Not exciting, not the smartest people to work with and a complex hierarchy. The culture depends highly on the location you're looking at. Terms of employment are changed easily. I did not feel the LDP manager really cared about my career or building a relationship. Definitely not good for people with a spouse who also has a career. Location preferences are considered but you'll go where they send you.

Terms of employment should not be changed in the middle of a role. My supervisor overtime eligibility was taken away in the middle of a rotation. Needless to say, I was still required to work it. Some plants can have very poor management.

Data collection with regards to KPIs needs to improve to prove savings or justify projects.

Great Place to Learn, Grow, Get Recognized and Start Career... Not for Mid-Career.

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very collaborative, team-oriented, "get the job done" culture, with all levels - shop floor employees to Directors / VPs - working simultaneously to accomplish a task. Management takes an interest in your learning and grooms and mentors talent very well.

Cons

Being a publicly traded company with shareholders, there is a lot of emphasis placed on meeting monthly, quarterly and yearly targets affecting the profits and EPS. Message resonates from CEO to shop floor employees. Month-end, quarter-end, year-end is a particularly stressful time to meet goals, at any expense. This may not make the most sense to the overall income statement as much as it would to profit / EPS in particular (expediting shipments, overtime, changing schedule to favor high-revenue orders etc).

Compensate employees for efforts better - inspite of being a "top performer" I was in the mid-range for my salary band and not given the highest performance rating, with no real reason offered for not getting this.
    None to few perks of working at Eaton

Great industry diversity

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Eaton full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a great flavor of industry specialism within Eaton, from Automotive to Electrical and Financial Shared services. With a very large global footprint, you will have peers across different time zones and cultures, which brings a great flavor of variety on the workplace and creates great lasting friendships. Eaton is above market rate with their salaries.

Cons

Unfortunately the matrix organization does not share the variety as promotions are mostly either to get to people management or project management, anything else is mostly outsourced or is in the process of being outsourced (IT).

Getting higher in rank doesn't mean picking up different responsibilities, you just get more pay ....

Work within the different divisions sometimes feels like you are competing with the other sectors, not too much overlap, which ends up in tools and practices which could better be merged or adopted.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!