Echo Global Logistics

Updated 12 December 2014
3.3

Echo Global Logistics CEO and Director Doug Waggoner
Doug Waggoner

Pros
  • Echo Dallas has a great work environment for someone who wants to work hard and play hard (in 20 reviews)

• kickball team on thursdays, softball team on tuesdays, beer fridays and happy hours regularly (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweeping changes in benefits and commission structure were made without warning (in 13 reviews)

• I wasn't 100% prepared when I hit the floor after training (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I do not recommend after a 12 month experience in carrier sales.

Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning and practicing the skill of negotiation. Understanding the transportation industry and how the supply chain functions. Company bus for commute before and after work.

Cons

I do not want to repeat myself. A lot of the Cons can be understood in a different section below. See "Advice to Management"....

Consistently practice being a professional and lead by example. Be transparent with your team. Meet with your team and individuals regularly, it will benefit everyone including you, management. Understand what is going on with your team as a whole and each contributing member, i.e.- morale, business successes and struggles/opportunities/improvements etc. (see previous sentence). Do not use disrespectful, elementary language to individuals regardless of situation or industry. Hone your skills and develop Rookies into All Stars. Stay positive. Take lunch away from your desk. Look from the outside in; be the manager you want to see leading. Keep an open mind and be willing to change if necessary. The hours of work expected out of each person ....including mandatory Saturdays.....does not seem healthy, my advice is to rethink this expectation.

Echo Global Logistics Response

Dec 15, 2014Talent Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to write a review. Happy to hear you gained new skills and knowledge during your time with us. Your advice is appreciated; we developed and launched a ... More

Echo Scottsdale: Poor leadership, low morale, & zero advancement opportunity

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are opportunities for travel at times which can be fun. The 401K is appreciated, although the match is pretty minimal. Can be a good first job to transition you into a 'real job' because of its decent location in Old Town, lack of a dress code, and younger average age.

I'm sure (I hope) the corporate office is a much more professional environment that truly has their employee's best interests at heart as well as the shareholders and customers, however, that is unfortunately not the case in Scottsdale.

Cons

I want to start by saying, heed this warning if considering employment. Management will try and get you to dismiss it as a 'disgruntled ex-employee' but, again, not the case.

I have seen more quality employees leave this office specifically due to the middle/senior management and lack of true leadership than in my time with any other company. Management makes promises that turn out to be blatant lies and barely even attempt to hide it. This includes but is not limited to the following; running sales spiffs that never pay out, promising reps to 'just keep doing what you're doing and we will take care of you', phantom team bonuses at manager's discretion that are kept as dangling carrots and dispersed (or not dispersed) without explanation.

They fully expect 10 hour days from all of their reps. Employees will literally sit there staring at each other hoping one of the others will leave first to earn the wrath of the managers well past their actual shift is done, honestly, I am not even sure if that is legal.

There are a few lucky sales reps (about 2-3 to be exact) that found their success years ago and the entire rest of the office revolves around making those few reps large amounts of money while no one else sees a dime of it. If you were not one of those first few reps - you will likely not find success financially at this branch.

As far as upward mobility, good luck. You are essentially isolated across the country from the corporate office with a small office of support staff. The best you can even hope to become is a low-level supervisor role with no authority to make impactful decisions. Only other option is to move across the country to Chicago to find alternatives at the corporate office, however, they do not offer any moving stipend to help.

Adding a 'Senior' in front of your existing title while maintaining the same daily functions is NOT a promotion.

A $30K base salary is not competitive within the industry, restructure your commission plan because currently it is nearly impossible for a rep to even earn a dime of commission within their first year of employment without hitting the lottery.

Stop telling your employees that 'the grass is never greener on the other side.' Focus on fixing your broken management style and extremely low employee morale rather than trying to trash the reputation of employees that leave and the companies that they move on to - People see right through it and it only sheds more light on your lack of solutions.​

Great company culture- needed because the job isn't always fun

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture, personal growth, compensation (if you stick it out)

Cons

You'll be making a ton of phone calls, all day, every day; benefits

Remember you were once where reps are now

Churn and burn factory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Echo has a very young atmosphere. It is also very casual as far as dress which I prefer. It is nice not having to dress up every day like I work in a bank or something.

Cons

Echo is basically a churn and burn factory. 70% of the people they employ are straight out of college seeking to move to Chicago from various places in the Midwest. Mostly Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. These kids know to apply at Echo because it's fast and easy to get a job. Echo never gives raises and has horrible retirement benefits so it's in no one's interest to stay long term.

Pay people what they are worth. Have your salaries more in line with the other 3PLs (i.e. CH, Coyote, etc) and maybe you wouldn't have the turn over that you do.

If you want to see people have careers and not just jobs you need to up your retirement contributions. .5% is a joke.

Also your insurance plans are too expensive. I can't imagine having to cover a family under it. It would literally be my whole paycheck.

Good company, industry can be frustrating

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good atmosphere, good training program, they offer a lot of good benefits and everyone is there to help you.

Cons

all cold calling and don't make commission until after a year and a half most likely. Management contradicts themselves sometimes, these reasons are why a lot of people leave.

Favoritism and Very Bad Management Style, Don't Care about employees

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros

Located Downtown. But no close to a lot of things. A little too west.

Cons

Bad Management Style, A lot of Amateur Managers. Company don't really care about it's employees only when you belong to the club, then you are ok. This place sucks.

Get new Managers, most of the are fully incompetent.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun Work environment
    Central location
    Young office atmosphere

Cons

terrible commission structure, favoritism, unprofessionalism, competitive price driven market, difficult customer base to work with.

Management needs to set a better base with the expectations they have on employees. This is a stressful job in an unreliable industry. We are expected to close accounts, manage accounts, track our shipments, do all of our accounting and service our customers like they are our only ones all while making 35,000 a yr. The work environment is fun but the blatant favoritism of certain reps whom have not worked hard enough to earn the accounts that have been handed to them without anything to do with the sell-close process is so flagrant; all of your employees know who deserves to be rewarded for their hard work and who are given accounts they did not earn nor deserve

This job is not for everyone and most people quit w/ in 6 months or stay for the long haul.

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, fun employees and beer Fridays are perks.

Cons

You will be working 55-65 hours per week. 11 hrs M-Thurs, 12 Hrs on Friday and 12 Saturday shifts per year at 8 hours per shift. There is absolutely no work-life balance. 401K plan is the worst I have ever seen.

Management can be rude and unprofessional. We have to be there for about 60 hours per week so lets keep it fun.

Favoritism is prevalent

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual
    Some co-workers are decent
    Good benefits
    Remodeled office space

Cons

River North Location is not great.

A lot of egos.

Work pace is so fast it's hard to focus on quality. Some managers are all about # of releases and don't care about real added value or quality.

A lot of favoritism. Recognition is a problem if you are not part of the club. Some peoole get praised for doing way less than others.

Managers are mostly young and inexperienced andvthat leads to the cons above.

Pay attention to hiring competent experienced managers. It's about technical abilities only. Leadership is about managing motivating, mentoring and nurturing employees

Great Culture, Support, and Opportunity in the Dallas Branch

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is competitive and fast-paced, but there is a lot of support. Management is open to experimenting with new ideas and going after different opportunities than they are historically used to. Folks in the branch are friendly and helpful for people new to the company. The Dallas branch does a lot of celebrating - celebrating wins, birthdays, milestones, promotions, etc. The company is growing quickly and there are some growing pains associated with that, but upper management has done a lot to make those changes as seemless as possible. Having come over from another brokerage in Dallas, and knowing a dozen others at other brokerages in Dallas, Echo's way ahead of the competition in a number of really important ways.

Cons

Being in downtown, it's a bit of a drive for anyone living in the suburbs - but the surroundings are still great. Freight brokerage is difficult, and building a book of business is not easy. It's a lot about confidence and your ability to adapt and stay calm for the roller coaster. But Echo does a lot to help reps manage that too.

Perhaps hire/train up more folks in Business Development who can help sell enterprise-level Managed Transportation solutions. There is a bottleneck in that process currently.

Echo Global Logistics Photos