Ecolab

www.ecolab.com

Ecolab Reviews

Updated 15 November 2014
Updated 15 November 2014

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.
Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Only real plus is having a company vehicle to take home with gas & insurance taken care of (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60 (in 39 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunities for growth and development of skills

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting and fantastic opportunities to do different things

Cons

Going through culture change - can be difficult to deal with people who are stuck in their ways and unable to move forward.

Business likely to operate better if senior management have the same direct reporting line. Current matrix brings uncertainty, potentially conflicting objectives.

Nalcolab... if you want a political company -- this is the one for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None any more - unless you know how to play the politics.

Cons

Company acquiring companies to grow bottom line at the expense of long serving loyal employees. The office culture from Nalco for example is being pushed into the Ecolab associates.

Nalco are political and back stabbers and have remove Ecolab employees in favour of their own.

The Ecolab culture is diminishing... it's now Nalcolab...understand the need for integration however letting Nalco management -- a company that was not making money -- bad management that they have been bought over so many times -- to take over managing successful Ecolab divisions and pushing the Nalco culture vs the Ecolab culture is very disheartening.

Good company that is still growing

Current Employee - Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company vehicle, fuel, insurance

Cons

No overtime pay

Reward more money or incentives

Was great, downhill after acquisitions

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN (US)

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Originally great teamwork, lots of opportunity to learn and try different areas in your department. Two of the projects I am most proud of to date happened at Ecolab. CEO does a great job from my viewpoint. Benefits are decent, stock purchase plan is nice.

Cons

Some overbearing management overshadows some of the other great leaders. After two acquisitions the sprawl of management and extreme bureaucracy makes life stressful. Teamwork has decreased. I don't think the employees are less willing to help, but they can't keep up with unrealistic workload and expectations . So much time is spent fighting fires that thinking long term and truly fixing issues doesn't get much attention.

Management has lost touch with the employees and what is operationally reasonable. Work life balance is out the window. Sometimes spending money toward a long term enterprise solution is worth it. Stop stepping over dollars to pickup nickels.

Route sales manager

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good earning potential if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Long hours and weekends.

Admin Assist

Current Employee - Administrative Assist in Naperville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assist in Naperville, IL (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly working environment. Busy, learned something new every day.

Cons

Laid off after injury. HR has not helped or assisted in finding a position.

Great benefits, fantastic stocks, a company of hyper workaholics and sales drivers.

Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Service Route Manager in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Ecolab full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, great benefits, opportunities to move up, most people in upper management started out in the field. Solid company with high ethical standards. Company vehicle, phone, and uniforms.

Cons

Upper management is always looking for ways to drive sales. They push the field service reps for higher numbers at all levels. They like quantifiable stats so reps are always filling out quota reports and are pushed for more and more info. I was a good service person but only fair at sales. When our division went to commission just as the economy slowed in 2009 my pay dropped significantly but my work load increased even more. If you are type A that loves to sell, good for you but you have to fix complex problems and deal with frantic customers who are hours away and demanding instant service late on a Saturday night. You cover a large territory and when you're our someone has to drive for hours to take your calls and visa-versa. You get time off but have to work like heck before and after to keep up. It's part of the job but it can be tough after a while.

I know many people who are good at service but feel super stressed with the sales focus. I also know some who enjoy the sales but can't deal with the difficult service calls. Good troubleshooters and mechanics rarely make good sales people. It stresses them out and makes the quality of life not so good. I liked talking with customers about solutions I believed in but I hated being forced to do it to hit some quota and make some middle managers look good upstairs.

Overall a great company.

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Naperville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Naperville, IL (US)

I have been working at Ecolab full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a good company, definitely a place you and start and end your career and everyone feels like family.

Cons

Very hard to work your way up, moreso who you know as opposed to what you know. Promotions based on friends and seniority.

Great Company

Current Employee - TSM
    Current Employee - TSM

I have been working at Ecolab full-time

Pros

Fantastic benefits and pay. GREAT products. Doing something that matters is a plus also.

Cons

Work / life is not so balanced

Reformed policies to ensure better work life balance

Great but be willing to play the game

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I have been working at Ecolab as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of work, rapidly growing company. The are expanding all over the world. Alot of employees have worked there for many years.

Cons

Difficult to get ahead as a woman. If you want to succeed you must be willing to play the game and not necessarily agree with the senior leadership.

Really consider who you are hiring for senior leadershp. What is their motivation? How do they treat their employees? Vendors? Consultants?