Ecolab

Ecolab Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ecolab Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Doug Baker Jr.

Doug Baker Jr.

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, flexibility in work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• You will also get a company vehicle to take home with fuel and expense cards(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance gets lip-service - make no mistake there is expectation for 60(in 33 reviews)

• NO time off as you are literally on call 24/7 and that is what you usually work(in 23 reviews)

Opportunities for growth and development of skills

Project Manager (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsInteresting and fantastic opportunities to do different things

ConsGoing through culture change - can be difficult to deal with people who are stuck in their ways and unable to move forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness likely to operate better if senior management have the same direct reporting line. Current matrix brings uncertainty, potentially conflicting objectives.

Great company to work for!

Specialist (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN (US)

ProsLots of upward mobility, great people, good cause.

ConsA lot of contractor employees to decrease company cost.

Management is for themselves.

ProsStable company, continues to grow and expand. Works at sustainability for themselves and other companies. Some good people to work with and learn from.

ConsLittle to no work life balance. Don't take care of the people that do the everyday work and keep the business running and profitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and moral will start to improve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work.

ProsGreat company to be part of

ConsUpward mobility is limited in Logistics.

Great Place if you Want to Drive Change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsA lot of change happening drivien by strong growth pattern and M&A. This gives people the opportunity to take on challenges and drive beyond what more stable companies would offer. Opportunity for personal development, but you have to drive it very proactively.
    The climate is very friendly and informal, you can count on people to help / work collaboratively.

ConsSo much change and growth has led to complexity that the Company is trying to address by putting teams together, improving processes and tools and egnaging employees more broadly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make Ecolab simpler while keeping the fantastic customer focus and the warm & friendly culture

Ecolab

ProsMake my own schedule, pretty autonomous job, company vehicle

ConsCompany bends over backwards for clients at the expense of the person doing the work

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) DFW, TX (US)

ProsWork-life balance, great flex-benefits, good pay, caring managers.

ConsNo direction from a corporate it perspective. Senior/executive management does not care if people leave as long as you make plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet and IT direction and move forward with it. You are a multi-billion dollar company with multiple ERP systems pick one and consolidate. You would be surprised how much your sales and company improve from everyone pulling in the same direction

If you don't want a life work here

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great team in my area that provided assistance as much as possible for each other.

Cons24/7/365!!!!!!!!!!! I have not been with the company for over two months and still receive calls on my personal cell phone at all hours of the night asking for me to come out and fix something. This job would b e great if it was either a sales or service position. It is very difficult to do both and have any type of home life. I traveled over 800 miles per week and while they provided a company gas guzzler that I needed to have to transport the 1000's of items that i might need to fix who knows what - they provided me 325.00 per month to cover my gas and cell bill. Even with the help of a great team it was still nearly impossible to do this job without working at least 65 to 70 hours per week and that does not include the weekends when you are on call covering vast areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back service managers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Treat your people with respect and reachable goals that do not go through the roof each year!!!!!!! Small realistic adjustment per year would be good. You are squeezing the life out your people and they are leaving quickly!!!!!!!! Get back to reality and maybe spend a month out in the field again to get a clue that cross roads did not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Culture of Fear

Route Sales Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsFree company vehicle (logo'd) and tools provided to you. Make your own schedule but often told you are not doing enough. Can make extra money when you cover routes that people left (because they quit).

ConsBenefits have declined. All benefit coverages have increased in cost per month and decreased total coverage. Overwork people on the weekends and nights. A lot of issues with people being disengaged and just trying to get by. In our area, many people have been on performance plans and threatened to get fired. Many times they can't fire anyone because there are already open areas from those who just quit. People live in fear of getting fired but then when everyone is threatened with it, they understand the threat is not real.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to engage people and have a resource for employees to go to that have been bullied by managers. Also, a fair way for promotions without choosing people who they like. Promotions should be performance based. Multiple people should get the opportunity to interview instead of someone just being "picked".

Overall good

Route Sales Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsThe fact that they pay for everything: from providing a vehicle, corporate credit card, gas card, cell phone bill, mobile hot spot, tools, training, clothing, shoes, and excellent meals when traveling.

ConsWork-life balance can be very difficult at times because of being on-call 24hrs M-F and some weekends. Upsetting a customer will get to upper management very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing on-call 24hrs M-F sucks!!

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!