Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 45 reviews
  • "Great client roster, great perks and plenty of opportunities for growth"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "You need to have the ability to truly own your work-life balance in bigger offices"
    in 102 reviews
  • "If you're put on a challenging account, you may be working very long hours"
    in 80 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

excellent

Contractor (Current Employee)
Chennai (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Prosthey want us to work like independent contractors

Consworking full time is a drawback

Great place to learn, grow and be challenged

Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are great - from bosses, colleagues to administrative staff. The opportunity to work across the network in other markets and collaborate closely with colleagues in other offices is great as well. The company also emphasises the need for continuous learning, so training is a key benefit. Some senior leaders also show genuine concern for their staff career development, and work towards moving staff in direction of growth. For example, helping them specialise in certain areas or connecting them to a specialist in the area for mentorship.

ConsDespite being the largest PR agency in the world, Singapore, etc., and having some of the best known brands in the world as clients, there is still a relentless push and drive for new business to meet targets. These targets are presumably KPIs set for senior management, but they put very heavy responsibility on consultants - from CEs to Managers to do the bulk (sometimes ALL the heavy lifting) on new business. This, in addition to an already heavy client workload. There is no reward for non-directors if the targets are met.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm is growing too fast and I fear that this rapid evolution will cause Edelman to lose alot of what I think makes it stand out. People will burn out and leave and Edelman will need to rebuild its talent base from scratch, lose quality people and its reputation for quality thinking and execution.

Inspiring

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

ProsEdelman is widely regarded for its Trust Barometer, which not only distinguishes the firm but acts as a foundation for much of the work the agency does. As a fiercely independent but still leading and very international operation, the culture, the people and the clients that Edelman retains are truly inspiring.

ConsFor all of the reasons I just mentioned, the bar on quality is very high at Edelman. This is obviously a good thing, but obviously also does create a certain amount of pressure to always be better than the day before. There's a certain amount of stress that goes along with that.

Office Manager

Office Manager (Current Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational environment
Multicultural company
Modesty of the senior management team

ConsEverything is possible!
We can do, because we work differently

Advice to Senior Managementshare info sometimes already known by the team :-)

Fast-faced, entrepreneurial organization that appreciates quality work for its clients.

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart people to learn from, ability to experience diverse types of work, Richard Edelman and the US CEO, Mark Hass, are terrific leaders.

ConsCan sometimes take on too much at one time which makes balance for employees very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain a culture of keeping a check on dishonest behaviors.

Working with the best in the buisness

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsWe have some of the smartest people in the industry. We also have the best employee engagement programs I've ever seen in my career.

ConsWe work A LOT. This, however, is not unique to Edelman. It's an industry thing...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employee engagement initiatives going!

Best of the Best

Vice President (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have been employed at several well-known NYC agencies over the course of a long career, and Edelman is by far the best place I have ever worked. The "E" in Edelman stands for excellence. It is impossible to overrate the importance of the firm's independence and the outstanding leadership and commitment of the Edelman family. The firm is loaded with smart, creative people, who are challenged everyday to grow, learn, and give back. Hard work IS rewarded here.

ConsAfter experiencing other typical NYC agency environments, ranging from tolerable to unbearable, I truly can't think of any "cons" that amount to anything.

Edelman is a great place to work. Smart and creative company.

Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits and I love my co-workers.

Conslong hours when deadlines are due

Advice to Senior Managementkeep employees informed of what direction the company is going

The only agency I will ever work for.

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsUnlike other agencies that say they support work-life balance and value their employees as their top asset, Edelman actually does both of these things in practice. Through the actions of middle to senior management, you are truly made to feel valued and appreciated. Opportunities are everywhere and the culture is laid back and fun.

ConsWhile there is far less pressure on utilization than other agencies, making for a more relaxed environment (that's not to say we don't work super hard to achieve successes), but the salary compensation does seem lower than market competitors in the area. However, with the environment and culture, PTO and benefits, it balances out.

Big Talent Big Ideas

EVP (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsWickedly talented and smart colleagues. Creative risk takers who think differently to solve client needs. Collegial, fun, casual. Great community. As a private company the firm invests in takent and stays ahead of the tech curve.

ConsNothing substantive. Growing fast and need more office space asap. Preferably in our amazing building.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrab more office space in the building. Improve the cafe! Keep hiring great talent.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 797 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.