Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture(in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted(in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate(in 90 reviews)

Great place overall, staff are positive, benefits package, culture events and parties, extra long weekends, etc.

ProsThe people are fabulous, great benefits package, office culture is good, and lots of great incentives.

ConsLack of organized structure at times, no clear direction to grow your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency is key with staff and providing feedback and support.

A political minefield where perception trumps performance

Anonymous (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsEdelman is a best in class global brand - the number one PR agency in the world. We have clients from all walks of life, be it MNCs or smaller homegrown brands, with the scale and depth of global, regional or local work. The breadth of expertise is continually evolving beyond bread and butter media relations and traditional PR, diversifying our offering.

The handful of tenured loyalists continually strive to inspire a newer generation of hires, and exercise a fair but firm hand when it comes to managing people. A recently refreshed leadership team has more hits than misses.

There are visible attempts by the management team to alleviate what is an industry-wide issue such as long working hours and hiring behind the curve. However, results of these attempts have yet to be seen.

ConsWhile we are we global agency, we behave like a start up with no funding. Tools and processes necessary to our trade that would aid efficiency and enhance our expertise are ignored or are left in negotiation phases for long periods of time due to budgetary concerns. However, these budgetary concerns are not reflected at the extravagant and sometimes unnecessary office parties or the show-and-tell efforts when global leadership is in town.

The archaic financial system leaves little to be desired, with a finance team that is understaffed, overworked and unappreciated. Expenses incurred on behalf of the firm are paid out in two month intervals, and third party partners have gone for months after work is completed without receiving payment.

We hired a team of creative and digital experts in an attempt to move the firm forward beyond just the PR space and into an integrated marketing offering. Yet, these resources are not shared across the office and when support from these teams are required, it always boils down to dollars and cents and which client team has the biggest bargaining chip.

With over a 100 people in the firm, it is up to the management team to exercise discretion and to weigh each decision with fair and unbiased judgement. This has not been the case. It is increasingly prevalent that management has been blinded by hearsay, perceptions that are fueled by gossip and quick judgements, leading to favouritism for some and direct exclusion from the system for others.

The lack of a HR lead and a department which is meant to oversee employee welfare is evident in the long and late working hours of all in the firm, with even interns working past midnight to complete deadlines as it is more cost effective. The existing HR lead doubles up as the CFO for the sub-region, an obvious but often ignored direct conflict for all employees. Remuneration of consultants, especially at entry-level, have not changed in the last 5 years, and is once again behind industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the betterment of your people. Pay for the tools that enable us to be more effective at our jobs, instead of what results in the best numbers on your PnL sheet.

Listen to your people - don't just focus on what you think you know. Don't make quick judgements, seek to provide fair and unbiased opportunities for career development.

Recognise the strain of the business on many of the younger ones - support them properly with teams that are staffed based on expertise and interest and not just hours on a sheet.

Excellent place to learn, lacks staff welfare and work life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBest place to lay a solid foundation to pave a career in PR and communications.
    Compressed learning, wide exposure with cross practice opportunity.

ConsLacks work life balance.
    Consistent performers are 'rewarded' with more projects/ heavier workload resulting in burn out. Consultants leave not because of the lack of opportunity but the lack of management recognition, welfare, compensation and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinance and HR needs to be two separate entities.
    Engage in 360 performance based rewards instead of personal bias.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best of the global agencies in Korea, but...still MUCH room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seoul (South Korea)

ProsBig-name clients that look good on anyone's resume. Great coffee machines. A good number of very smart people. Struggling to come up with more "pros" to hit the 20 word minimum.

ConsFinances are not transparent and decisions on hiring/firing seem to be made in a very fast and loose manner. Promotions and bonuses are not based on performance, but on how much you didn't get on the decision maker's bad side. Practice leads are forced to be competitive about resources rather than work collaboratively. Leadership at the very top is very weak, and as this is is very well known throughout the industry, it makes recruitment very challenging. It's the best global brand in the industry, but I think most people would be shocked at how little of those corporate values that have made it such have "trickled down" to this office.

Advice to Senior Management"Show up differently" by not sticking to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying. Yes, the office has achieved its numbers over the past few years, but you should be asking yourselves why this office has been bleeding its best and longest-serving people. Regional/global execs in charge of this market need to look at expanding their own connections to include other mid-level and senior people who work here, rather than rely on just one person to inform them of what is going on.

Prepare to work.. really...really.. really hard

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat experience to put on a resume, benefits and big corporate benefits

ConsIt's an incredibly competitive place (at least the health department) these are all very hard working overworked people who may not have time to train you properly.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on encouraging and inspiring your employees

Didn't hate it

Corporate PR Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGot to work on great clients, Awesome people, Did some cool work

ConsVery sink or swim culture, Not a lot of support from managers

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are managing an intern, it would make sense to actually work on the same clients as the intern.

It was OK.

ProsA lot of resources and big accounts.

ConsYou do not have any freedom as an entry level position.

Definitily A Great Place To Work For The Inaimbitious

Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsBrilliant culture
    Brilliant global workplace policies

ConsUnstable management
    Lacks ambition to grow digital business
    Lacks skill sets to leverage the booming PR industry

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease choose talent wisely and retain the same
    Please provide client friendly solutions and not comfort friendly

Edelman HK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSenior management tries to make things seem easy and fun.

ConsThe junior staff to middle management have unimpressive people skills.

The best PR agency around. Period.

Senior Account Supervisor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros-Creative environment with diverse set of employees
    -Impressive and exciting client list
    -Difference-making IP
    -Culture of client partnerships
    -Emphasis on work/life balance
    -Opportunities for growth

Cons-Salaries tend to stay low; management knows Edelman is a sough-after place and salaries seem to be curbed accordingly compared to competition

Advice to Senior Management-Continue building on the enriching environment you've created for your employees
    -For the right people, be ready to invest with $ without having to play a lot of the "negotiation game"

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!