Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros:
  • "Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work-life balance isn't as good as it could be, but that is probably true everywhere"
    in 106 reviews
  • "Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate"
    in 85 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Strong work ethic, lots of potential for growth

Account Director (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe network is amazing and the opportunities to work with big global teams is awesome. The very high standard or work is also rewarding

ConsSome teams are on the small side so working at Edelman can be tough for those not working autonomously.

Great company to work for and great people to work with!

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for less than a year

ProsMy colleagues are all smart and dedicated to their work and the energy is contagious. Leadership genuinely cares about the employees.

ConsYou work on the demands of clients, so work loads can vary dramatically

Edelman Singapore: Fast & Furious; Come if you're single not married

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery fast paced environment with a very international team; regional hub for Asia and incredibly satisfying work can be achieved here; great exposure and you're never confined to just the Singapore market; great fighting spirit and good team work; your opportunities is limitless when you want to grow and expand from Singapore. You also learn to be very independent.

Cons-There has been a change of leadership recently, so people are still adjusting to a new MD and a new regional CEO - whose styles were very different from the previous MD (who has since moved to North Asia)
-Very long hours (average of 12-13 hours per day) including weekends sometimes, which means it's daunting for colleagues who have families to go back to
-With a big office, there will be cliques that form, which breeds gossip and back-stabbing, which is damaging to the morale of the people
-MD is always canceling last minute on her appointments with people, making people feel they are not prioritized. It's always business first, people second.
-Disadvantageous for women who want to have children and remain in this office. Most women leave when they want to start a family. Ironic because the MD is a woman, but not enough priority goes to protecting and giving more benefits to women who want to have families.
-Incompetent HR function, with little to no attention given to colleagues. Very little empowerment from the top to protect juniors and even middle management.
-Managers and below do not have laptops, and there are no work-from-home policy, which is ridiculous. Not flexible.
-Changes are slow in this office. Not fast enough - so people leave out of frustration.

Advice to Senior Management1. Consider serious HR changes to better benefit the people.
2. MD needs to pay attention to the people and not just the business. Take internal initiatives seriously
3. Women will continue leaving the agency without more protection or policies to give them the assurance that they can be a mother and be successful in Edelman Singapore

A lonely road for rockstars

I have been working at Edelman

ProsIt is not normal for people to spend their entire careers at one agency. But Edelman has achieved a culture where many people are happy to stay. If you are a rockstar, you can beat your own path at Edelman. You will find people who are smart, driven, creative and focused on achieving real impact in the real world. You will find a vast base of clients who trust Edelman to steward bold ideas forward. Opportunities abound.

ConsMiddle management often pays homage to "big ideas" but, for the most part, perpetuates the status quo. Talented thinkers often find a way -- but too often, they're finding a way around their supervisors. Or, just as bad, they are given a green light but no resources to achieve their goal.

Also, the cliquishness between divisions is borderline unbearable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBust up bureaucracy. Help monetize new ideas.

Great company that values interpersonal relations and tenure

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

ProsEdelman is truly innovative; if you have an idea you can run with it. The people are genuinely nice and put clients first.

ConsCareer paths to promotions are unclear across departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare career progression guidelines and keep up the good work with hiring smart people!

Global exposure guaranteed

Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEdelman gives you an opportunity to work with some of the most renowned global brands across verticals and also train under seasoned industry experts.

Apart from this, the HR policies are flexible and benefits offered to the employees are helpful

ConsNo cons as such

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Management can consider expanding their digital practice presence across locations in India

Great culture! As with any employer, there's room for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros- The opportunity to work with amazing clients who highly respect Edelman
- Great company-wide client work overall. Everyone at the company is high performing and successful.
- Great internal resources to address any and every client need possible. Clients love Edelman!
- Great culture, friendly people, and great worldwide networking opportunities
- Great benefits overall (PTO on your birthday, pet adoption stipend, generous holiday schedule, great health insurance coverage, etc.)
- For an agency environment, Edelman is very friendly to career-driven individuals who want to start a family or have a family
- Great place for women in leadership positions
- The company is starting to compete more with ad agencies, integrated marketing agencies, etc.

Cons- Account team members often get "stuck" on one account because an account may require 100% of an employee's time; as a result, career growth can become stagnant
- Junior employees are underpaid (but that is also the case at most agencies)
- Because of the size of the company, great talent is overlooked and amazing people get passed up for promotion far too often. The promotion cycle is political and hurts morale.
- Lack of office and meeting room space can make it challenging to be productive
- Though Edelman is independent, it is still highly profit-driven, and I did sometimes sense that senior management was more concerned about profit than employee happiness

Advice to Senior ManagementThe industry standard is to pay junior talent a certain amount, which is pretty low, especially for the San Francisco market. I think Edelman could break this cycle and give junior workers a more generous salary, especially considering its financial health. This would relieve the pressure during the promotion cycle.

Great place to work and grow a career in communications consulting

I have been working at Edelman

ProsLots of opportunity - for growth, great client programs and great client brands
Strong teams and talent

ConsNot necessarily a con - but it's a fast-paced environment with high expectations from clients and teams.

Accessible senior management, high turnover

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart and senior management accessible. I worked at Edelman internationally in the mid-2000s, and had a chance to work directly with the CEO. Fantastic opportunity, and I was just an account executive in my mid-twenties.

ConsLow pay and high turnover. Such is agency life I suppose.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick your people based on merit.

Great people and quite a learning experience.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart and strategic assets to the company who hold remarkable relationships with their clients. Just the same, clients treat Edelman like a strategic partner vs. just an agency, which is a testament to the work we can do.

ConsI've seen several teams in the past few months lose team members who aren't being replaced, meaning across the board many have an even heavier workload. There are definitely employee gaps that need to be filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire employees where and when needed. On top of this, there needs to be improved compensation for top performers.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!

Edelman Videos

Edelman – Why Work for Us?

On October 1, 1952, Daniel J. Edelman and Associates was founded in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago with three employees servicing one client. More than 60 years later, with 67 offices and over 4,800 employees servicing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Edelman reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Edelman CEO Richard W. Edelman. All 799 reviews are posted anonymously by Edelman employees.