Edelman Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 96 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong work ethic, lots of potential for growth

Current Employee - Account Director in Sydney
    Current Employee - Account Director in Sydney

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The network is amazing and the opportunities to work with big global teams is awesome. The very high standard or work is also rewarding

Cons

Some teams are on the small side so working at Edelman can be tough for those not working autonomously.

Smart people and fun, engaging work

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Edelman as an intern

Pros

Edelman has an awesome culture and senior leadership is very approachable. As an intern, you will rarely get busy work, most of what you do utilizes and develops skills that will be valuable at Edelman and beyond. If you express interest in a certain account or project, management will help to work you in. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

Edelman is a huge company, and it takes some getting used to. The billing system is a pain.

Keep it up!

Incredible talent, crushing hours

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best talent and the best clients. Opportunity to learn a lot of facets and best practices of the PR business. Excellent perks and benefits.

Cons

Hours can be long and unpredictable. Switch groups, accounts, etc. or risk being pigeonholed. The transition from traditional PR to what Richard Edelman calls "communication marketing" is uncertain and frustrating at times, though I think that's unavoidable.

Managers need to try new things too, but sometimes it feels like we're too expensive to be allowed to take risks.

Talented Teams, Dream Clients, High Expectations

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman has far and away the most talented teams in the industry and subsequently has a dream client list. Everyone is smart and hard-working (if you're not, you're driven out pretty quickly), so it's easy to respect everyone you work with.

We have unparalleled access to resources and the company value of "entrepreneurial spirit" isn't just marketing hype - I genuinely feel like I can drive change and make things happen without red tape, both internally and externally. That said, if you like a lot of attention or hand-holding, it's definitely not the agency for you.

Cons

Grueling pace and high expectations make for long hours and stressful days.

<3 Edelman

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, growth opportunities, value, all great.

Cons

Work/life balance is what you'd expect working at the world's largest PR agency - if you do your research you'll know this coming in.

A breath of fresh air. I'm beyond happy being here.

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly inclusive culture. People are fun and social and welcoming. I feel respected, encouraged, and supported in my role here. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of this team. Edelman is doing some groundbreaking things--no longer just in the PR world, they are a social agency doing advertising and interdisciplinary marketing for huge brands. I'm honored to be a part of it.

Cons

I honestly don't have much to complain about. We work in a very competitive industry, so there are (of course) late nights and difficult client demands, but that's just par for the course. Everyone brings their A game and hustles to make a contribution.

Keep doing what you're doing!

What an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the global network, the firm's reputation, the benefits...the list goes on. As a junior employee, there is a lot of opportunity for growth and you have the chance to experience many different things and move up the ladder quickly.

Cons

You will work a lot, no doubt about that. Salary is a little low but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Superb company culture

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Excellent atmosphere,
    Great Training. HR really do take an interest in every person. You are made to feel like an individual and there are excellent opportunities.
    Fab clients
    Promotions are given - but it can take a while.

Cons

Filling out a timesheet for every hour of the day each week>
    There does seem to be some favouritism - but then there is in most companies

The best for a reason...

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best in the business colleagues and clients. Engaged and forward leaning CEO. A truly global and truly collaborative work environment. Management all rose through the ranks and understand the job as an Account Executive and all the way up.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve. It is very easy to overload your plate.

Ensure that you continue to monitor workloads.

Great company, dynamic, creative and talented co-workers, terrific clients, fabulous opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Edelman has a well-deserved stellar reputation in the PR industry. The client list is stellar, your co-workers are all rock-stars, the atmosphere is nurturing and they respect your work-life balance.

Cons

While the salary is good and bonuses during my tenure have been great, I don't like the fact that annual raises are tiny- under 3% I believe. I don't know if that would change during a year when bonuses might be limited, but think an excellent performance should merit a more substantial annual raise.