Edelman

Updated 22 January 2015
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 65 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 137 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 94 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong work ethic, lots of potential for growth

Current Employee - Account Director in Sydney
    Current Employee - Account Director in Sydney

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The network is amazing and the opportunities to work with big global teams is awesome. The very high standard or work is also rewarding

Cons

Some teams are on the small side so working at Edelman can be tough for those not working autonomously.

Smart people in a very big company

Current Employee - SAE in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SAE in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers are smart, fun and clever. lots of resources globally and abroad. large network allows for great insights across practices, traditional and digital PR as well as marketing

Cons

sometimes easy to get lost in the shuffle

keep doing what you're doing

Financial Analyst

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Great place to work for and some of the people are also great. Company offers a lot but you do have to stick out in order to be noticed.

Cons

Leadership is not so communicative as they should be for a commination work place.

Don't be so shady and share information with all employees.

Edelman - great client service, good career opportunities but heavy workloads and focus on profits

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman has good opportunities for growth if you are aggressive and push hard for advancement. It has a wide network of offices and specialty practices and managers are usually open to transfer requests. Company encourages professional growth and education. Employees are smart, dedicated, and hard working - everyone brings something unique to the table at Edelman and clients are served very well.

Cons

Work is demanding, the hours are long and salaries are low compared to industry standards. Focus is on increasing profits. Easy to get lost in the company if you don't make the effort to network and stand out, there are plenty of others that can take your place. Company touts work/life balance but workloads and local managers don't support that. Day-to-day contact with local executives/GMs is very limited and they are not in touch with what's happening in local offices.

Local executive management should provide more oversight to local senior management, encourage work/life balance.

Global and enriching experience

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Edelman is one of the few PR agencies in Brazil that really allows you to take part at a global network. You get to meet and work with incredible people from Edelman network around the world and attend leading companies of the industry.

Cons

The office culture is fast-paced, you deal with a considerable amount of pressure and you are required to be multitasking, attentive and dedicated. You end up working extra hours, but that's standard for PR and comms market.

Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Benefits, and that's all really

Cons

No room for personal and professional growth, admins are not considered promotable, very little training, time-off is frowned upon

Fast-paced

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Edelman

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Work pressure is very high.

Best experience I've ever had working for an agency!

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here is great because managers really make you feel appreciated. "Thank you" and "Great Job" is expressed often and the sense of teamwork is always present. Managers help you plan your goals and (even better) help you achieve those goals by putting you on the right clients and getting you the experience you need to grow. There are tons of learning opportunities within Edelman including trainings, workshops and seminars. People who work here are really some of the smartest people I've ever met and they are very invested in pulling you up with them. This is an ethical company that I can really say I am proud to be a part of. They treat their employees with respect and are always looking out for employee's best interest.

Cons

The only con I have with working here is I had to make a lateral move to get my foot in the door and I really think they should pay their entry level staff a little bit more. But I see myself growing here and hope that promotions will make up for the entry level salary I am currently receiving.

Pay your AEs and AAEs more money. It will make them stay much longer.

I worked in Edelman Shanghai as Talent Acquisition Manager, it has great leadership and culture

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good career development, respect employees effort and hard work, encourage them to be creative and be the industry leader

Cons

more budget for recruitment would have been nice, I had to do direct sourcing for candidates and they always demand for the best in the market!

overall good experience

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of intelligent people
    nice office location & building
    great benefits (health, vision, etc.)
    good amount of holidays/PTO offered
    room for growth and flexibility to transition internally to other offices/depts

Cons

poor work/life balance - you need to be able to put your foot down with colleagues and management and ask for time off, flexibility to work from home, etc.
    open office environment - everyone sits in a cubicle right on top of each other
    high turnover - lots of restructuring - constant change

take the time to pat your employees on the back some more. let them know they are valued and are an important part of the team especially during times of restructuring.