Edelman

Edelman Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman

Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 51 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 110 reviews)

• Long hours; org structure difficult to understand/navigate (in 90 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong work ethic, lots of potential for growth

Account Director (Current Employee) Sydney

ProsThe network is amazing and the opportunities to work with big global teams is awesome. The very high standard or work is also rewarding

ConsSome teams are on the small side so working at Edelman can be tough for those not working autonomously.

Edelman

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat clients. Collegial work environment. Good growth and professional development potential

ConsSenior managers and executives need to be trained better to become more inspiring leaders

Great internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsGreat work life balance, good company values, learning environment

ConsCompensation is relatively low compared to industry average

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate Practice Intern

Corporate Practice (Former Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosthe best platform at which you can get in touch with world-class clients and get first-class training

Conshard working and huge pressure

Good agency environment; business is booming in Seattle

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsBreadth of clientele to meet your interests; employee benefits; new Seattle office location coming in November 2014; strong growth in Seattle market/office across disciplines and practice areas; salaries tend to be competitive within the agency market; company values and vision

ConsSeattle parking (if you drive to work) can be $11-$13/day; work-life balance can be difficult based on client demands and workload, at times

Great people

Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI have developed so many great skills in the short time I have been working here. The name definitely carries great status and reputation. The people I work with bring so much to the table on a daily basis.

ConsThe quality of work should be more recognized. Billing is way too important.

Great people to work with/for

Associate Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsYou learn something new every day from co-workers and supervisors.

ConsAt times, the supervisors are doing a billion things that they can't really teach/train the people working under them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep motivating peers and increase training on digital.

Successful company, seems to only focus praise on the PR employees however.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood location, good benefits. Ok pay.

ConsThey dont give lower level people a chance to work up. Snobby PR girls. Company should focus less on being fancy and get back to their roots, especially in honoring their employees/having their backs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in "the little people's" shoes.

Work-Life Balance is a Farce at Edelman

Account Supervisor (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA (US)

ProsThe Silicon Valley office has decent snacks, and there truly is an interest in evolving PR as journalism changes. Of the large agencies, Edelman is the most committed to industry research and not just preaching expertise, but truly investigating the best ways to serve clients.

ConsThe down side is minimal work-life balance. While the agency continues to invent cute ways to provide "balance" and perks for employees, the truth of the matter is that certain clients and teams will consistently work 10 hr+ days (not including a lunch break), and even longer during major launches. I define balance as working hard, long hours during the upswings, but having a chance to recuperate and duck out early during downswings. Unfortunately, my accounts have never had downswings, and working until 8-630 is business-as-usual, even on Fridays.

Beyond just client work in excess of my intended allocation, billing under the required eight hours is highly frowned upon - even if you've worked 12+ hours days prior. This was made clear after a colleague was scolded for billing 7 hour day following two weeks of 12-hour days. While you can evade scrutiny by floating hours, the lack of flexibility is laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone is equipped to be a PM: many people went into PR thinking they could avoid numbers, and this lack of skill skews allocations and makes workloads heavier than they should be. Invest in financial training and crack down on deltas in allocation - not just when complaints bubble up. Otherwise, you're continuing to foster a "squeaky wheel" culture. Find ways to build career paths where those who do well working with percentages can PM; those who don't excel there, can contribute in other leadership paths.

In addition, hire Interns that actually have potential to grow within Edelman. Too often, post-grad interns are hired that can do the mundane intern tasks "OK," but have a good attitude; while a positive attitude is welcome, it's not grounds for for a new hire. These conversions breed frustration in the AAE-AE level as junior staffers slowly move along despite a lack of skill. It's unfair to those not equipped to do the job continue to struggle to tread water in junior roles, and those on their team suffer by having to carry too much extra weight. Make smart hiring decisions at all levels.

It's been a while

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsInterested in new ideas and technologies, gives room for growth

Consdemanding hours, lots of hand-holding of clients

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!