Edelman Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

Home sweet home

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazingly creative people making tremendous impact for clients; fantastic culture

Cons

Compensation, last minute deliverables for clients

Increase compensation

Large Firm with Start-Up Vibe

Current Employee - Leadership in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Leadership in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid leadership with the open playground to invent and re-invent new ways to build great programs for clients.

Cons

Agency life can be demanding of time outside of work.

Keep allowing folks to take risks.

Good company

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big clients, good environment, people are helpful. Work life balance is good as well.

Cons

The pay is not competitive, especially for junior staff. The company is growing pretty rapidly but the training resources are not increasing.

A firm of professionals dedicated to providing smart, creative and strategic counsel and who love the work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

The people are smart, creative and strategic -- they enjoy the work and are committed to delivering great counsel. It's a supportive collegial work environment. There is definitely a sense of shared mission and everyone is ready to pitch in to help deliver impressive work. It's a supportive culture and a fun office with a real sense of community. Leadership is committed to social purpose.

Cons

No meaningful cons -- it's a terrific place to work.

Great company to start your career at.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of short-term projects and opportunities available to maximize learning. Colleagues are smart, fun and personable. Fantastic training courses available.

Cons

Not much say in clients you work for. Always expected to be "on the clock" even when out of the office.

Managers should always work with their direct report. it doesn't make sense for a manager to "manage" you if they have no direct knowledge of what you are like as an employee in actual client-facing work settings.

Smart people, company truly cares about their employees

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are smart, creative and strategic, and I learn something new every day. The global resources and intellectual property at Edelman are amazing. While the company is big, Richard Edelman is very involved and present in the office, which makes it feel like a true family business.

Cons

There are employee gaps that need to be filled, making work-life balance tough. The office is also quite large so it's difficult to meet people outside of your practice (Health, Consumer, etc.) While compensation gets better as you move up the ranks, it can definitely be improved and more comparable to other PR agencies, especially at the junior level.

Junior team members need more guidance and resources, which is sometimes not considered because senior colleagues are too busy to provide adequate support. It's assumed that people will "just figure it out," which sets some junior team members up for failure. If junior team members make a mistake, the first thing that should be asked is "how could I have helped them succeed" versus pointing fingers.

Wonderful, fun filled work environment with forward looking management

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very forward looking and Industry leaders as Top Management
    Ethics and Values as top priority
    Fun filled and challanging work environment

Cons

For those who want 8 to 5 routine job, might not be correct place

Top agency, best talent, becoming a creative shop, what else could you ask for?

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of clients and I often utilize the broad network of experts you simply can't find at any other agency. We are making strides to become the lead marketing agency. The fellows program allows junior team members to transfer to international offices for one year, an amazing benefit of the agency.

Cons

Over the past few years the agency has become much more political internally within the senior leadership team. In the rare event there is a bad hire, we have historically been slow to correct the situation. Better integration across other office team is needed, especially at the practice level.

Many teams have become top heavy and we must recruit quality junior staff to support our clients. Our EdelU program seems to have stalled out, invest and have a greater emphasis on our continuing education. The MIP program is too confusing and does not reflect the senior teams investment into the business, this needs to be restructured.

I love working at Edelman. The company, the global perspective and the people keep me motivated each day.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman continually pushes the boundaries for the definition of PR. The company values high-quality client service.

Cons

At time, it seems that financial compensation is not as competitive as other agencies.

Continue to be as transparent as possible.

Best Place to Work

Current Employee - EAA in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - EAA in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Edelman. I'm learning something new every day and work with people who are highly creative in their craft. The company is gaining more and more clients and has just entered a joint partnership within the entertainment industry. Totally psyched!

Cons

Worklife balance should be more steady, and ACROSS THE BOARD, not just for a select few. Support staff should not feel hesitant about asking to work from home on a Friday if the EA who sits 3 rows behind her does it all the time. How is that fair and balanced? And how is the morale of the EA who can't?

We ALL deserve a worklife balance - it shouldn't matter what department you're in. Kids - or no kids! Stop the favoritism when it comes to worklife balance!