Edelman Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 96 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to start your career at.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of short-term projects and opportunities available to maximize learning. Colleagues are smart, fun and personable. Fantastic training courses available.

Cons

Not much say in clients you work for. Always expected to be "on the clock" even when out of the office.

Managers should always work with their direct report. it doesn't make sense for a manager to "manage" you if they have no direct knowledge of what you are like as an employee in actual client-facing work settings.

A very satisfying experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance, open 360 degree approach

Cons

Could have more lateral growth prospects

One of the best places I've worked

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for over 10 organizations in my career and this is definitely top 2. Company culture is large and supportive but still nimble. And, for a PR firm, people are intelligent, strategic, and on top of things. Good managers and VP level leadership. Company appreciates people who don't come from a PR background which is in my opinion, the best way to differentiate. Supportive managers if you are a good employee. I have only been here for a few months and my manager is already working with me to try and get me a promotion. Fingers crossed!

Cons

Still don't understand the divide between the "digital" and "pr" practices within the firm. seems to be an org construct that doesn't reflect people's actual knowledge or abilities. I'm betting this will go away soon. Geographies also operate pretty separately but not a deal breaker, just an observation.

Get rid of digital vs pr teams. Everyone should be doing both.

Blazing a trail for the future

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented workforce. This company gets it, sees where the industry is going. Ability to meld social/traditional/digital/measurement = best-in-class. Unlimited ambition, which can be infectious (in a good way). Diversity of coworkers makes every day an adventure.

Cons

Divergence of traditional and digital mediums is both a blessing and a curse, but the savvy of our department heads stack the deck in Edelman's favor.

Continue respecting the talent and vision our junior staff embodies. They will be the leadership, soon enough.

Adrenaline ride of opportunities, deadlines and experiences

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely entrepreneurial and you have many opportunities to grow a long-lasting career that is incredibly dynamic and engaging.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, which can make it intense at times. However, we hire smart and creative people who are interested in being successful and pushing the limits for new ideas, approaches, etc.

Continue to focus on removing arbitrary barriers created internally by separate P&L structures between offices (and sometimes even within the same office).

Great place to build your career

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture with a diverse mix of smart, hard working individuals who are all passionate about the work. Generous benefits and competitive compensation. Casual environment, NY office is in a great location and easily accessible from west side subway lines. Impressive roster of clients. Excellent leadership that cares about career growth.

Cons

Its fast paced, but can sometimes feel like constant fire drill mode. Hours can be long, but nothing crazy or unusual compared to similar companies/industries. It's a tough environment for less experienced/lower level employees.

Keep up the great work.

entrepreneurial, collaborative culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman is always pushing the limits of what's possible and giving the team the tools to innovate. Fantastic culture, a commitment to work/life balance, and an aggressive strategy to promote women into leadership roles. Great clients and brands, opportunity to work on integrated communications marketing campaigns that stretch your experience and knowledge.

Cons

Fast-paced culture, must be able to multi-task and be agile each and every day.

Keeps you on your toes...

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people, innovative, creative, fast-paced, fun, engaging, office culture

Cons

work-life balance, lots of travel

There needs to be greater connection between the firm's most senior leadership and younger employees. I see good interaction between these groups on the local level but very little interaction with the firm's top level.

Career opportunity with lots of room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, frequent raises/promotions, collaborative environment, room for creativity and self expression, opportunity to go far and gain expertise in multiple markets.

Cons

Low pay at junior level, long work hours.

Great environment, great people, great opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

opportunities for growth, company values, positive environment, encouraging upper management, interesting work

Cons

Compensation could be better for top preformers on lower levels