Edelman Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
4.1

Edelman President and CEO Richard W. Edelman
Richard W. Edelman

Pros
  • Lots of resources available to employees and good work-life balance culture (in 64 reviews)

• Many smart people to work with on a diverse portfolio of projects (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high work pressure means that work life balance is adversely impacted (in 135 reviews)

• Junior staff are expected to work long hours, with minimal financial compensation (in 95 reviews)

More Highlights

Top agency, best talent, becoming a creative shop, what else could you ask for?

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of clients and I often utilize the broad network of experts you simply can't find at any other agency. We are making strides to become the lead marketing agency. The fellows program allows junior team members to transfer to international offices for one year, an amazing benefit of the agency.

Cons

Over the past few years the agency has become much more political internally within the senior leadership team. In the rare event there is a bad hire, we have historically been slow to correct the situation. Better integration across other office team is needed, especially at the practice level.

Many teams have become top heavy and we must recruit quality junior staff to support our clients. Our EdelU program seems to have stalled out, invest and have a greater emphasis on our continuing education. The MIP program is too confusing and does not reflect the senior teams investment into the business, this needs to be restructured.

I love working at Edelman. The company, the global perspective and the people keep me motivated each day.

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Edelman continually pushes the boundaries for the definition of PR. The company values high-quality client service.

Cons

At time, it seems that financial compensation is not as competitive as other agencies.

Continue to be as transparent as possible.

Life is Pretty Good Here

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came to Edelman after being burnt out on agency life, and was surprised to like it so much. Originally my plan was to stay a year for the name on my resume and then leave, but now I don't know... Everyone is really nice and supportive. There are so many learning opportunities. Work life balance is real. There are interesting projects to work on, and you don't get locked into the same thing. If there is something you are interested in, you can make it happen through sheer will and entrepreneurial spirit. Lateral moves within the company are quite common. Also, all the people who have left have gone on to really great jobs.

Cons

The one thing that makes me consider leaving is the PAY. It's abysmal. Edelman can get away with it because it is Edelman.

Also, the company feels a bit top heavy. There are so many VPs going on about what great work they've done, when most of the grunt work is done by junior employees.

Make your pay more competitive with the industry standards.

It was a good place to launch my career and I've engaged in digital campaign planning and social media management.

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global networks, Friday massages, Thorough trainings, Collaboration across functions and teams

Cons

No life. I never left office before 8 pm.

Try to hear more opinions from the bottom level.

A very satisfying experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance, open 360 degree approach

Cons

Could have more lateral growth prospects

One of the best places I've worked

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for over 10 organizations in my career and this is definitely top 2. Company culture is large and supportive but still nimble. And, for a PR firm, people are intelligent, strategic, and on top of things. Good managers and VP level leadership. Company appreciates people who don't come from a PR background which is in my opinion, the best way to differentiate. Supportive managers if you are a good employee. I have only been here for a few months and my manager is already working with me to try and get me a promotion. Fingers crossed!

Cons

Still don't understand the divide between the "digital" and "pr" practices within the firm. seems to be an org construct that doesn't reflect people's actual knowledge or abilities. I'm betting this will go away soon. Geographies also operate pretty separately but not a deal breaker, just an observation.

Get rid of digital vs pr teams. Everyone should be doing both.

Blazing a trail for the future

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredibly smart and talented workforce. This company gets it, sees where the industry is going. Ability to meld social/traditional/digital/measurement = best-in-class. Unlimited ambition, which can be infectious (in a good way). Diversity of coworkers makes every day an adventure.

Cons

Divergence of traditional and digital mediums is both a blessing and a curse, but the savvy of our department heads stack the deck in Edelman's favor.

Continue respecting the talent and vision our junior staff embodies. They will be the leadership, soon enough.

Adrenaline ride of opportunities, deadlines and experiences

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is extremely entrepreneurial and you have many opportunities to grow a long-lasting career that is incredibly dynamic and engaging.

Cons

It is a competitive environment, which can make it intense at times. However, we hire smart and creative people who are interested in being successful and pushing the limits for new ideas, approaches, etc.

Continue to focus on removing arbitrary barriers created internally by separate P&L structures between offices (and sometimes even within the same office).

Keeps you on your toes...

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people, innovative, creative, fast-paced, fun, engaging, office culture

Cons

work-life balance, lots of travel

There needs to be greater connection between the firm's most senior leadership and younger employees. I see good interaction between these groups on the local level but very little interaction with the firm's top level.

Career opportunity with lots of room for growth

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Edelman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, frequent raises/promotions, collaborative environment, room for creativity and self expression, opportunity to go far and gain expertise in multiple markets.

Cons

Low pay at junior level, long work hours.