Education Management Corporation

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 11 reviews
  • "high pressure sales to prospective college students"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Administrative Assistant for 15+ people

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of interaction with internal and external customers

ConsFor Profit Education - not necessarily focused on quality of student body OR its employees

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on quality and less on quantity

Was a great company, not so much anymore

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

ProsBenefits are good
Some of the managers really do care about their employees

ConsVPs and Company heads have changed the corporate culture
Entry level pay is terrible, and raises have been ceased for the past two years

Good People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

ProsCoworkers were great, worked with a lot of great individuals there. Most were honest and hard-working.

ConsLeadership decisions are questionable, at best. Goals are not well thought-out or communicated.

Is this place still operating?

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, great people to work with, okay benefits --

Best decision of my life to leave that place behind! 1 year ago that company was a mess

ConsUpper management was horrible, recruiting tactics were unethical,

Advice to Senior ManagementShut this place down!

After many years, left that disastrous mess

Mid Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Prospeople in the trenches mean well, work hard, but can't compensate for poor leadership

Conslack of vision, poor leadership, ridiculous expectations, lack of acknowledging strong contributions from staff in favor of favoritism. allowing strong contributors to leave or be driven out while supporting failing leadership/management decisions.

Advice to Senior Managementquickly undo the poor hiring & promotion decisions you've made lately

Leave your morals and values at the front door ....

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsSome people here are very good people who care and truly believe they are helping potential students to get into college. However ... they need to stop drinking the coolaid that EDMC is pouring for them.

ConsUse psychology skills to convince ( or push ) low income families to go to college and put themselves $63,000 in debt. There ya go ... an average day in the life of an EDMC Admissions Rep. They like to pretend that this is "all for a better life of these individuals". God knows these poor people ( and sometimes homeless people ) dont need more debt in their lives. ARGOSY, SOUTH, and Art Institute will charge the MAX amount they can to suck every penny of financial aid they can from each person.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out, before the numbers go south AGAIN and your canned.

Unethical business model

FAO (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual business attire, friendly coworkers, meetings are few and far between.

ConsBad work-life balance, bad company values, low compensation, no overtime for working weekends. Forced to work weekends.

Did not like it from the start

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay
catering
co workers weren't all bad
working with the occasional student that wanted to go to school

Consstruggling for leads
policies changing constantly
micro-management
favoritism towards certain people
burn out is very common, higher turnover if you can even make it through their month long + training with out being let go
very difficult to get promotions if ever

Advice to Senior Managementyou have a lot of good people there, people have ups and downs, instead of rewarding only the people who produce, allow all leads to go to all people this will allow for a more even playing field. recent changes to the company have been good. however, many aren't happy with having the same conversations day in and out people burn out eventually from the stress to preform.

It was a very cut-throat place of employment.

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is very competitive and work hours are nice. There was room for advancement and more pay.

ConsThe job was very stressful and you had to worry about your job every few weeks as an Admissions Representative. It is a very cut-throat environment to work in.

Review EDMC under Wikipedia / Legal Issues before stepping foot in any of their schools

Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

ProsGreat school as far as the variety of curriculum, staff, and instructors. Upper Management, including Goldman Sachs have put a price on the head of every student. By the way, It's illegal to put a price on a students head when you receive Title IV (financial aid) from the Department of Education.

ConsEDMC, which is made up of The Art Institutes, Goldman Brown Mackie, South University, and Argosy University, is presently being sued by the Department of Justice for $11 Billion Dollars for misleading admissions practices related to Title IV Funding, mainly Pell Grant funds. (See legal section area EDMC in Wikipedia). Ever since Goldman Sachs, Providence Equity Partners and Leeds Equity Partners acquired EDMC and its 70 schools $3.4 billion in March 2006 - The downfall of EDMC was set into motion. Immediately, Goldman Sachs cleaned house and restructured the admissions department of every EDMC school. The number of Assistant Director of Admissions /Recruiters (ADA’s) grew by the hundreds. At the same time, the “interview” was set into place to pressure the student into applying. This new high-pressure admissions process lead to a revolving door of layoffs and firings in every EDMC admissions office. The average recruiter/ADA would be lucky to last 3 years. As soon as the recruiter/ADA catches on to the unethical behavior going on, they are given a bad review and booted out the door. Ask any EDMC school how much money they spend on admissions verses the needs of the students, you will be shocked! EDMC spends approximately $1000 for each application they take in. These predatory and high pressure recruiting practices are exactly why EDMC has come under fire by the Department of Justice. Would you allow your child to spend over $400 a credit hour to attend a college where they have to call their advisor who is half way across the country to work out their class’s schedule? If you do your homework, you will notice how EDMC is taking advantage of the poor job market by letting go of good, and higher paid employees, to repost virtually the same position for others to apply -for close to half the pay. I have a lot more to share about EDMC….stay tuned to Facebook and the Department of Justice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake Wall Street out of education! Major conflict of interest.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.