Education Management Corporation

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 11 reviews
  • "high pressure sales to prospective college students"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unethical business model

FAO (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual business attire, friendly coworkers, meetings are few and far between.

ConsBad work-life balance, bad company values, low compensation, no overtime for working weekends. Forced to work weekends.

Did not like it from the start

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay
catering
co workers weren't all bad
working with the occasional student that wanted to go to school

Consstruggling for leads
policies changing constantly
micro-management
favoritism towards certain people
burn out is very common, higher turnover if you can even make it through their month long + training with out being let go
very difficult to get promotions if ever

Advice to Senior Managementyou have a lot of good people there, people have ups and downs, instead of rewarding only the people who produce, allow all leads to go to all people this will allow for a more even playing field. recent changes to the company have been good. however, many aren't happy with having the same conversations day in and out people burn out eventually from the stress to preform.

It was a very cut-throat place of employment.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is very competitive and work hours are nice. There was room for advancement and more pay.

ConsThe job was very stressful and you had to worry about your job every few weeks as an Admissions Representative. It is a very cut-throat environment to work in.

I have a had a fair experience due to extensive turnover

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is great work life balance at EDMC as long as you are meeting your goals. They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs

ConsUnfortunate turnover at the local and corporate level, you are pushed hard to meet your goals but with no compensation for doing so.

Leave your morals and values at the front door ....

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsSome people here are very good people who care and truly believe they are helping potential students to get into college. However ... they need to stop drinking the coolaid that EDMC is pouring for them.

ConsUse psychology skills to convince ( or push ) low income families to go to college and put themselves $63,000 in debt. There ya go ... an average day in the life of an EDMC Admissions Rep. They like to pretend that this is "all for a better life of these individuals". God knows these poor people ( and sometimes homeless people ) dont need more debt in their lives. ARGOSY, SOUTH, and Art Institute will charge the MAX amount they can to suck every penny of financial aid they can from each person.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out, before the numbers go south AGAIN and your canned.

Great in the beginning

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, working with students

ConsWork weekends, company under scrutiny

Good company to work for most of the time

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteractions with students and dedicated staff members

ConsLayoffs happen frequently and unexpectedly

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should all be on the same page

Edmc is a national treasure in the great state of New York.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Prosgreat benefits excellent incentives motivational and encouraging supportive in the know

Consdisorganized poor leadership insensitive unstructured

Advice to Senior Managementtighten up

Wow...what a change

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI don't work there anymore! That is definitely a pro! There are also some nice people that are stuck here because the job market hasn't allowed them to go elsewhere yet.

ConsThis place used to be great --- and then the investors drove it into the ground through their greed. Questionable practices, unethical managers, greedy leadership. You name it!

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit the company out -- let the Ai brand go back to a ground-only school and create your own online school. The online degrees are diluting the reputation that of the brick and mortar schools.

Not a great place for Adjunct Professors!

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI was given a lot of latitude in curriculum design. The pay was pretty good.

ConsThey were poorly managed. They had a lot of management turnover and very poor communication. If you were staff you were included in meetings, but adjuncts were left in the dark on policy, policy changes, processes, performance evaluation and schedule plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep professional instructors on staff you need a standard review process and a lot of training in intrinsic and extrinsic motivation of senior people.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 232 reviews are posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.