Education Management Corporation

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros
  • Great people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there(in 13 reviews)

• They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family(in 14 reviews)

• Management, hours, job security(in 12 reviews)

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMade a great salary on the "matrix" which they say never existed. Decent benefit package

ConsEnough pressure for a nervous breakdown, they want you to say or do whatever to get a student to enroll. Once a student "posts" in an online classroom they owe money. They suggest students attend an online school who don't even have a computer or who can barely pass a basic reading assessment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all of the pressure and try to do the right thing. Also, smirking in the midst of group layoffs is completely inappropriate!

Do not apply to them

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS (US)

ProsNone, they do not care about employees

ConsThey do not care about the employees, only how much money they make

Going downhill fast

Proslocated in Pittsburgh, continued education IF you are employed

ConsCEO, all departments are getting cut

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied employee.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsI have developed great friendships with coworkers.

ConsNo raises, negative environment with little communication from management.

This job has been interesting and rewarding at times but overall is enough to give you a nervous breakdown!

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsInteresting projects, opportunities to develop solutions that make coworkers tasks more efficient and less challenging, opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and innovative business process improvements.

ConsWork-life balance is pathetic. More and more positions are being cut because the company has financial issues. However, the demand continues to grow as upper management pretends that we are not in trouble and continues investments in new products and services.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease choose one road or the other. Either we are downsizing in which case we need to stop all investments and implementations and just keep up with what we have, OR, we are going all in to turn this company around and get back to profits. You cannot continue to cut IT groups in half while INCREASING the workload. This philosophy is simply burning out the great employees and we can only do this for so long without giving up.

A company in major transition

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThis company does provide a decent salary with a good amount of PTO. The 401K match is also the highest that I have seen.

ConsThere are going to be more layoffs this year. The environment is not stable and there is no growth.

Time to Move On

Student Finance Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsStaff at local campuses are awesome. Highly motivated and truly loyal and dedicated to the mission of the company and helping students get a solid education.

ConsCorporate has hired outside groups to run almost every aspect of the local campus. What used to be a thriving educational system has quickly deteriorated at the hands of centralizing almost every aspect of the enrollment, financial aid, advising and business departments. Local staff are no longer able to fully support and help students as necessary because these outside groups and corporate themselves want to have their hands in everything. Salaries are low in comparison to what the job requires. an estimated 90% of employees at the local campuses, including top executives and department directors/chairs are constantly job searching and bragging about making it to second and third round interviews. "Everyone" wants out, but there seems to be no place to go so morale slowly drains.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire CRC and stop this centralization non-sense. The local campus is completely capable of managing the buisness and day to day acitivitie in a professional and efficient manner. Increase everyone's salary to what they deserve, not just admission representatives some of whom receive twice what other department chairs earn. Listen to your employees. Don't just hear the words, but truly work to understand the meaning and then implement their strategies. We work on the floor every day. We are not in an office 200 miles away. What looks good in a board meeting does not always translate into practical aplication. CEO, go on undercover boss and see what it is actually like to work each department; you would be amazed at the deficiencies the policies and proceedures management has installed has brought to a once thriving company.

Good and Bad

ProsStarted out as a great work environment.

ConsCorporate leadership has deteriorated over the last several years. Insecure future for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop concentrating on profits only.

Upper management needs to be letgo and true leaders need to be brought in to replace.

Admissions Representative/Academics (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsSalary rewarded on matrix free bachelors degree

ConsManagement, hours, job security. Unethical practices. Guilty of what they are accused of.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop favortism. Do your jobs and

Work with people to help train and develop them. Stop hiring friends as managers it's not working.

Excellent pay and benefits, difficult job.

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe pay is excellent and not working from paycheck to paycheck is ideal. Overtime is voluntary but encouraged often. The paid time off and holidays off are excellent.

ConsThe job is overly redundant. After some time one's conscience prohibits from being able to actually perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoral needs to be raised, encourage growth for the team members, and allow cell phones and internet browsing.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!