Education Management Corporation

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Edward H. West

Pros:
  • "The Human Resource team is helpful and the employee benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
  • "They compensate you fairly and have good benefits for employees, 401K match, insurance, wellness programs"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance for this company is not ideal for people with a family"
    in 11 reviews
  • "high pressure sales to prospective college students"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Leave your morals and values at the front door ....

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsSome people here are very good people who care and truly believe they are helping potential students to get into college. However ... they need to stop drinking the coolaid that EDMC is pouring for them.

ConsUse psychology skills to convince ( or push ) low income families to go to college and put themselves $63,000 in debt. There ya go ... an average day in the life of an EDMC Admissions Rep. They like to pretend that this is "all for a better life of these individuals". God knows these poor people ( and sometimes homeless people ) dont need more debt in their lives. ARGOSY, SOUTH, and Art Institute will charge the MAX amount they can to suck every penny of financial aid they can from each person.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out, before the numbers go south AGAIN and your canned.

Edmc is a national treasure in the great state of New York.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Prosgreat benefits excellent incentives motivational and encouraging supportive in the know

Consdisorganized poor leadership insensitive unstructured

Advice to Senior Managementtighten up

Great in the beginning

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, working with students

ConsWork weekends, company under scrutiny

Good company to work for most of the time

Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteractions with students and dedicated staff members

ConsLayoffs happen frequently and unexpectedly

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should all be on the same page

Wow...what a change

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI don't work there anymore! That is definitely a pro! There are also some nice people that are stuck here because the job market hasn't allowed them to go elsewhere yet.

ConsThis place used to be great --- and then the investors drove it into the ground through their greed. Questionable practices, unethical managers, greedy leadership. You name it!

Advice to Senior ManagementSplit the company out -- let the Ai brand go back to a ground-only school and create your own online school. The online degrees are diluting the reputation that of the brick and mortar schools.

Not a great place for Adjunct Professors!

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI was given a lot of latitude in curriculum design. The pay was pretty good.

ConsThey were poorly managed. They had a lot of management turnover and very poor communication. If you were staff you were included in meetings, but adjuncts were left in the dark on policy, policy changes, processes, performance evaluation and schedule plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep professional instructors on staff you need a standard review process and a lot of training in intrinsic and extrinsic motivation of senior people.

An "ok" place to work

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth benefits are good. Employees are nice. Company is minimizing cost for college student and trying to increase employee satisfaction.

ConsSchedules vary. Not a lot of room to move up in many departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementEDMC needs to be more family oriented.

Run away!!! Most dis-functional IT department ever!

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time

ProsSome nice people to work with.
Decent building/facilities.

ConsConstantly changing directions/priorities prevent employees for being effective at their job.Poor communication between departments and between upper management and employees.
Several members of upper management in IT have their head in the sand about issues within the organization..
Low employee morale and poor employee survey results.
Small cubical/desk space with low walls.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from the employees.
Do a better job determining priority tasks for employees to work on.

Its alright but home/work life balance is missing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people to work with and there are opportunities to move up here and there.

ConsManagement has unrealistic expectations for goals and they adjust goals as corporate sees fit. High pressure sales tactics. I would compare it to used car salesmen. You will work late nights (even later than the school is open if a sales person pitches a fit), weekends, and recently they changed Saturday hours to be 9-5 instead of the 9-1 it was originally. When people first start there, they are told they will work one Saturday a month....lies. There were times when I worked all Saturdays in a month...extra late nights...etc. I also feel that they use bait and switch tactics with the students. They cater to underprivileged students/families and high pressure sales pitch them into signing their financial aid plans...even if they cant afford it. Many students are simply not ready for all of this. Cut bonuses as well while the guys at the top are making millions (no joke). Got rid of sales training so it is all internal now as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart investing in your employees. Bring back the training program. It will increase your success rate. Provide training for financial aid. They have so much to learn and are expected to just figure it out as they go. Create flex schedules (get with the times) for employees. The staff is large so why not have a 3 shift system? Get rid of the smaller mini mesters...they are not that successful and with most kids not being prepared for school, they are set up for failure with an intense 5 week program.

Stay away if you can

Director of Admissions (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDeep down, there are some people that are trying to do a good job and make a positive impact on students.

ConsMarketing has been watered down by corporate and those at the campus level have no say.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to think about your employees more. Managers at the campus level are mere puppets in corporate's plan to forget about values and solely focus on numbers.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All 227 reviews are posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.