There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

Membership Counselor

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR  in  Apple Valley, CA (US)
Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Apple Valley, CA (US)

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free gym membership, easy job, company seeks to promote from within

Cons

The fitness industry is a tough place to make a living on commission-based wages. The system they use encourages unhealthy/unfriendly competition between sales associates.

I think they have already gotten rid of commission-based wages, and that was my only issue with them

476 Other Employee Reviews for 24 Hour Fitness (View Most Recent)

Could be Better, Could be Worse

Current Employee - Personal Trainer I  in  Monterey Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer I in Monterey Park, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

1)Super supportive management, although I'm sure that varies from club to club. They really want you to do wellI and be happy, and they understand how that ties into the success of the club as a whole.
    2)Everyone pitches in- no one is "above" say, cleaning the locker rooms just because its "not their job."
    3) I have a lot of control over my schedule.
    4) It's a great place for a new trainer to gain experience working with a variety of client types. You get the chance to figure out for yourself what works and what works better, as well as find your niche population.

Cons

1) No one is "above" say, cleaning the locker rooms just because it is "not their job." That means that you are going to be the one to do some dirty, dirty, jobs sometimes.
    2) It's not a very lucrative place to be a trainer. A big part of what makes 24HF a marketable company is its affordability, so many of the members aren't financially equipped for the cost of training in the long term. Add to that the fact that the training packages are pretty small and need to be resigned frequently, and you can see where client retention might be a problem. And, like all corporate gyms, the company takes the lion's share of what the client pays for the session.
    3)Looong days for not many $$$$s. Booking all of your clients back to back is not realistic for most trainers, so this has more to do with the profession than with this particular company.
    4) 24HF trainers do not have the best reputation within the industry. Like I said, it's a great place to gain experience without a lot of pressure to perform, but a few take advantage of the chance to be lazy. Working here doesn't make you a bad trainer, but you certainly don't have to be a good one to keep your job, and I worry that their low standards will follow me and haunt my resume later.

I like that you recently added an experience component to the PT tier system, but experience doesn't automatically make a trainer better. There should be some additional (meaningful) criteria for moving up to the next training tier. In exchange for that additional requirement, I think you could afford to give a bigger cut of the training cost to the trainer. When you pay 11-25% an hour to the trainer, it may not sound that bad, but keep in mind that we spend a good amount of time OFF THE CLOCK building and analyzing our clients' programs. The amount of time we are putting in for the return that we get is unreasonable, forcing many to take on second jobs and, consequently, reducing the amount of time we can spend in the gym pulling new clients.

Good company; great brand

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Membership and personal training discounts, able to work autonomously, flexible schedule

Cons

No opportunities for growth and development

There are newer employer reviews for 24 Hour Fitness

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!