You're Just A Number

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Convenient location near public transportation, cool staff, friends, steady paycheck, gym in building. Have I reached the 20 word minimum yet?

Cons

Share some of the downsides of working at AECOM? "Soul-crushing" and "you're just a number" are the most accurate descriptions of AECOM. When I was laid off last year during one of their many rounds of lay-offs, my manager wasn't even present.

I was with a former operating company that just celebrated its 100th anniversary. Post-merger and after months of mind-games, bending over backwards in the name of "AECOM values", and countless wasted hours spent on pointless "team-building" meetings, I was let go. When AECOM fires you, you have 15 minutes to vacate the premises, and you can't say goodbye to anyone unless they're near your desk. Some random HR representative, that you've never met hovers near you until you leave. If you don't leave within 15 minutes, security is summoned.. And to me, a company that treats you that way when you leave never really cared that you were there in the first place. Employees who were with the previous operating company, some for 20+ years, were just unceremoniously discarded. It's heartbreaking.

At AECOM, you are a number, not a valued employee with a personality and experience. Just a number.

Advice to management? Read these reviews.

Other Reviews for AECOM

Management and leadership of the company's domestic and international security services offerings

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

AECOM is a good company with great diversity in the global marketplace. They have a very strong body of assets that can contribute from across the company's portfolio to meet contract requirements.

Cons

As with any large company, the size of AECOM is also its negative. Decisions, direction, and requests must go through an exhaustive process for approval. Such process can add to the overhead and schedule of any project.

Yearly corporate restructuring

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, large projects, and opportunity to relocate.

Cons

Lack of leadership at a local level, too many changes make it unstable.

Stick with a plan for a few years before making changes.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!