There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

Great Opportunities if starting at Accenture, but they dwindle as you continue to move up the corporate ladder

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Large exposure to different types of work and people.

Cons

Long hours and continuing to get get more bureacratic since the company went public.

Don't forget about the people who help drive this company forward as you continue to put all of your focus on the bottom line.

8867 Other Employee Reviews for Accenture (View Most Recent)

Excellent Opportunity.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

The best reasons are for the Experience, Network, and Professional Development opportunities.

Cons

Travel can impact one's ability to balance life at home with family and friends. Compensation, while moving towards more competitive, still can lack behind similar industry work.

These folks are smart and have run a successful Fortune 500 business for several years... generally mastering the art of managing Wall-Street expectations and our core business.

Out of college = "hell yes," Experienced hire = "hell no"

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Accenture

Pros

You want to go into consulting out of college and work your way up in one firm. This is a great place to do that. If you're smart, and work here for the first 8 years of your career, you will do very well. Period.

Far and away superior training to the other mainline consulting firms (excluding all the strategy firms, I'm just talking about the traditional systems integrators). The general training at each level is now probably the best in the business, and the specialist stuff is excellent. Meanwhile, on the job learning is excellent as Accenture has a very strong team-oriented culture, and people will go out of their way to help each other out/teach.

Culture is (in my opinion) great. It's a bit abrasive (people can be mean), and it is known to be arrogant since the Anderson Consulting days, but some mellowing has occurred in the last few years. Lots of funny and interesting people. Lots of irreverence.

The brand is another excellent reason to work here. In just 7 or so years since coming up with the name, it is (I believe) the most recognized name in professional services. They've done an amazing job. From every billboard you see at the airport, to most every deliverable you bring to a client, the brand is positively reinforced. (Funny note though, most Senior Executives just hate the Tiger Woods stuff... go figure).

Good clients. All in all, Accenture clients have something going for them, or they wouldn't be able to afford the rates. Lots of name brand clients means your market value is shooting up every 6 months.

Good networking. Accenture people are good at referring opportunities to their co-workers. People tend to look out for each other more passionately than I've observed at the other firms. This goes to the "us vs. them" mentality that most Accenture hires have that join out of college.

Cons

You simply cannot be an experienced hire and expect to do well at Accenture. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but look deeply at the numbers... between 50-75% of their experienced hires quit within 12 months (I received that number from a high-level Senior Executive). The firm has always had this problem, but even with the desperate need to hire at all levels from outside, this probably is not going away at all. You're way better off at one of the other firms if you have more than a few years of work experience. Less ramp up, far more respect right away.

Performance reviews are actually overly critical. If you're writing one, you almost feel a pressure to be a little negative. I only comment on this in relation to having worked in other big consulting firms, where I realized the Accenture harshness on these things isn't all that necessary. I'm not sure much value is added sometimes on these things, and I can't count how many times I've heard of someone quitting because of a negative (unnecessarily so) review. Happens all the time.

I already participated in a detailed Experienced Hire study, I'll leave it at that for specifics. Suffice to say, my advice would be that each Senior Executive needs to look at his/her business, and study the labor model. If the firm's business model requires adding headcount/billable hours to fuel growth (this is obvious I suppose), then Accenture will need to be a 400,000 person consulting firm in the next 5 years to keep Wall Street happy. Ouch. Translated to each SE's business, how do you grow your own headcount at these crazy rates? Each SE will need to take personal accountability to decrease their attrition rates, and Senior Management should begin compensating on this metric immediately. This firm could have real problems with the street in a few years. Lots of Senior Executives are talking about this internally.

There are newer employer reviews for Accenture