Accenture

www.accenture.com
  www.accenture.com
There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

Great Opportunities if starting at Accenture, but they dwindle as you continue to move up the corporate ladder

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX (US)
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Large exposure to different types of work and people.

Cons

Long hours and continuing to get get more bureacratic since the company went public.

Don't forget about the people who help drive this company forward as you continue to put all of your focus on the bottom line.

9416 Other Employee Reviews for Accenture (View Most Recent)

Accenture is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

The people and culture are great. Very collaborative and supportive. Everyone including sernior executives invite communication. Everyone is available to give 15 minutes to talk to you about mentoring, an idea for a social responsibility initiative, or advice on completing your work. I have seen very junior people have an idea and be supported in pursuing making it real. Many of the current social responsibility initiatives started this way. Accenture also has a great blend of people who are home grown and experienced hires with multiple paths to success. If you started right out of college, you can be on the same track as someone hired with work experience.

Cons

Some projects can be brutal if they are not managed well. This well affect the Accenture experience, but overall senior executives are very supportive of people. LIke any organization that provides System Integratin or Management Consulting services, Accenture doesn't always get it right because of an individual manager who is underperforming, external client dependencies or the project just is not a good idea. More times than not, Accenture delivers on its reputation for getting the job done. I have been fortunate to see tough projects still provide a positive experience as Senior Executives bring a people-first attitude and try to recognize the great work being done on their teams.

Continue to do the things you are doing to promote a positive culture.

Out of college = "hell yes," Experienced hire = "hell no"

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Accenture

Pros

You want to go into consulting out of college and work your way up in one firm. This is a great place to do that. If you're smart, and work here for the first 8 years of your career, you will do very well. Period.

Far and away superior training to the other mainline consulting firms (excluding all the strategy firms, I'm just talking about the traditional systems integrators). The general training at each level is now probably the best in the business, and the specialist stuff is excellent. Meanwhile, on the job learning is excellent as Accenture has a very strong team-oriented culture, and people will go out of their way to help each other out/teach.

Culture is (in my opinion) great. It's a bit abrasive (people can be mean), and it is known to be arrogant since the Anderson Consulting days, but some mellowing has occurred in the last few years. Lots of funny and interesting people. Lots of irreverence.

The brand is another excellent reason to work here. In just 7 or so years since coming up with the name, it is (I believe) the most recognized name in professional services. They've done an amazing job. From every billboard you see at the airport, to most every deliverable you bring to a client, the brand is positively reinforced. (Funny note though, most Senior Executives just hate the Tiger Woods stuff... go figure).

Good clients. All in all, Accenture clients have something going for them, or they wouldn't be able to afford the rates. Lots of name brand clients means your market value is shooting up every 6 months.

Good networking. Accenture people are good at referring opportunities to their co-workers. People tend to look out for each other more passionately than I've observed at the other firms. This goes to the "us vs. them" mentality that most Accenture hires have that join out of college.

Cons

You simply cannot be an experienced hire and expect to do well at Accenture. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but look deeply at the numbers... between 50-75% of their experienced hires quit within 12 months (I received that number from a high-level Senior Executive). The firm has always had this problem, but even with the desperate need to hire at all levels from outside, this probably is not going away at all. You're way better off at one of the other firms if you have more than a few years of work experience. Less ramp up, far more respect right away.

Performance reviews are actually overly critical. If you're writing one, you almost feel a pressure to be a little negative. I only comment on this in relation to having worked in other big consulting firms, where I realized the Accenture harshness on these things isn't all that necessary. I'm not sure much value is added sometimes on these things, and I can't count how many times I've heard of someone quitting because of a negative (unnecessarily so) review. Happens all the time.

I already participated in a detailed Experienced Hire study, I'll leave it at that for specifics. Suffice to say, my advice would be that each Senior Executive needs to look at his/her business, and study the labor model. If the firm's business model requires adding headcount/billable hours to fuel growth (this is obvious I suppose), then Accenture will need to be a 400,000 person consulting firm in the next 5 years to keep Wall Street happy. Ouch. Translated to each SE's business, how do you grow your own headcount at these crazy rates? Each SE will need to take personal accountability to decrease their attrition rates, and Senior Management should begin compensating on this metric immediately. This firm could have real problems with the street in a few years. Lots of Senior Executives are talking about this internally.

There are newer employer reviews for Accenture