Advance Auto Parts

www.advanceautoparts.com
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Need new direction

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay and I only see my direct supervisor a few times a year so I am able to run the store how I see fit.

Cons

Lately corporate has been micro-managing the stores. We also use the slogan "Service is our best part." but we never have enough payroll to make that happen. We are more focused on numbers at every level. Our motto used to be "sell more parts, have more fun." Back then it was a funner place to work and the company did better financially. Now we drill down every figure possible. I appreciate having the reports capable of seeing how my team is doing, but putting so much emphasis on it is hurting moral. Also, the computer infrastructure is about 20 years behind.

Get back to having fun and raising moral and you will see better results in sales. Please quit staffing stores to the minimum hours. If you continue to do this you will have the minimum sales.

667 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Good some days, intolerable others

Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were friendly and somewhat knowledgeable when considering auto parts. A lot of the regular customers were very friendly and understanding as well.

Cons

If you worked with a team member that had no idea what they were doing, they were making your life more miserable because you'd have to pick up their slack.

Roughly 60% of the job is testing/installing batteries or checking OBD II codes. Company policy states we are not allowed to tell them what the OBD codes mean, but customers are never satisfied with just the code because they're expecting a free rundown of exactly what's wrong with their car. It boils down to a retail job offering free services that are heavily taken advantage of.

A large majority of the store managers are very easy to work with. Power tripping seems to be prevalent with the aren't

Par for the course when it comes to retail...

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers and most of the management are good people. The computer training is decent, but you'll learn best from the more senior store employees. Benefits are OK. You're encouraged to learn all aspects of the store operation which makes you a well-rounded employee. They tend to promote from within when possible.

Cons

Of course, it's retail, so the starting pay is low and pay raises are random (and lately, non-existent). Employee morale is quite low. Things seem to be more micro-managed now than before ( example: store managers used to make their own schedules but now must get approval from above first.). Hours have been cut-back to a point where service is starting to suffer. Even if you make great daily sales, they always find something else to complain about, like your "dollars per transactions" or "premium products sold." Oh, and 8am Sunday morning meetings are lame!

Give the store manager more freedom to actually manage. Some type of sales commission might help motivate the lower-level employees. And better starting pay = better quality employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!