There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Opportunity to grow within the organization across various businesses from retail to devices

Current Employee - Program Manager in Chennai (India)
Current Employee - Program Manager in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent culture that rewards performance
High hiring Bar ensures that you are working with smart people at most times
Diversity of business allows an individual to find opportunity to learn and grow within the company

Cons

Deliberately chaotic .. May not suit people who like a structured environment to work in. (Some people like this environment though.)

Larger vision of the direction company wants to take should be shared with more frequency with the middle management. This helps them align their effort with the overall objective of the company.

3679 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Good experience in general

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, cool problems, bottom-up decision-making

If you are young and aggressive, this is a place you can make real difference. Just make sure you get into a good team with a good manager.

Cons

Most Devs have to spend a significant amount of time in operation and supportive work, which can be a big distraction sometimes.

The operation mentality gets in the way of innovation too. Some managers are so afraid of making mistakes or causing customer complains, that they'd rather take mediocre baby steps rather than addressing the root causes. The company has a slogan: Amazon does not believe in Big Bang, which is totally understandable, but this is sometimes used as excuses for taking short cuts, making safe bets, and rewarding mediocre.

If Amazon pays so much attention to operation, you'd imagine that they would put much focus on QA, but ironically, QAs virtually do not exist at Amazon. The end result is that many Devs spend so much time fighting with the legacy system rather than building the new ones. I simply cannot understand the rationality of hiring top-notch Devs to push buttons, handling customer requests, and trivial bug fixes with over 6-digit salaries. Sure, any SDE job would come with a list of not-so-interesting tasks, but I haven't felt so mundane at my previous jobs, so I don't know.

Finally, the immigration service at Amazon is horrible. That only costs you a few thousand dollars, which is a tiny fraction of a SDE salary and your operation cost. Why don't you fix it so your International employees can spend less time worry about their GC and spend more time working for you?

Hire more middle level managers, and try to reward the good ones.

Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary well above industry average. I also find agile development practices such as scrum and continuous delivery being very motivating.

Cons

From the start, the recruiting process is deceitful. I was approached by the recruiter. I told her I am only interested if I could be placed in an intermediate but not beginner position. Instead of telling me I may not be qualified to intermediate position, she sign me up for an SDE I anyway. I should have suspected it when my interview questions are standard algorithm/design questions that I could answered in my sleep. Then, I realized being SDE I is the least of my problems. I spend 80% of my time doing operational task and 20% on programming tasks. I am sucking at my job because I suck at operational tasks. Instead of testing me in computer science they should test me how well I can follow a huge amount of trivial instructions. But there is no possibility of changing position until I am here for 1 year. 1 year does not sound that long right? It's only been 4.5 months and my blood pressure has already went up. I can't quit my job either. I would have to pay back the relocation expense, which they did NOT explicitly mentioned in my contract.

Understand who you are hiring.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com