Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Opportunity to grow within the organization across various businesses from retail to devices

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Chennai (India)
Current Employee - Program Manager in Chennai (India)

Pros

Excellent culture that rewards performance
High hiring Bar ensures that you are working with smart people at most times
Diversity of business allows an individual to find opportunity to learn and grow within the company

Cons

Deliberately chaotic .. May not suit people who like a structured environment to work in. (Some people like this environment though.)

Larger vision of the direction company wants to take should be shared with more frequency with the middle management. This helps them align their effort with the overall objective of the company.

Other reviews for Amazon.com

good and bad during holidays

Pros

good money, alot prize give aways

Cons

over work during holidays, not to nice on absences

Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Salary well above industry average. I also find agile development practices such as scrum and continuous delivery being very motivating.

Cons

From the start, the recruiting process is deceitful. I was approached by the recruiter. I told her I am only interested if I could be placed in an intermediate but not beginner position. Instead of telling me I may not be qualified to intermediate position, she sign me up for an SDE I anyway. I should have suspected it when my interview questions are standard algorithm/design questions that I could answered in my sleep. Then, I realized being SDE I is the least of my problems. I spend 80% of my time doing operational task and 20% on programming tasks. I am sucking at my job because I suck at operational tasks. Instead of testing me in computer science they should test me how well I can follow a huge amount of trivial instructions. But there is no possibility of changing position until I am here for 1 year. 1 year does not sound that long right? It's only been 4.5 months and my blood pressure has already went up. I can't quit my job either. I would have to pay back the relocation expense, which they did NOT explicitly mentioned in my contract.

Understand who you are hiring.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!