Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

Cons

Different teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Hire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

Best place to work with and hassle free environment.

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chennai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee friendly management. one can easily project their achievement and hard work without any hindrance

Cons

less visibility over the top level management.

Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting and challenging problems to solve, good mobility, plenty of opportunity to improve and challenge yourself. Amazon is "a tech company that just happens to do e-commerce", and so developers are first class citizens and the business revolves around delivering technology.

Cons

The fast environment can lead to high pressure that is not for everyone, and higher turnover means less people which means more pressure (but also more opportunity).

Better sprint and project planning tools would help us be more productive.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!