Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Wonderful company culture, pretty good pay and benefits, chance of poor work/life balance

Software Development Engineer I (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsEveryone at Amazon is smart and fun to work with and do not subscribe to the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) that plagues software so big ideas can be followed through on. Compensation is generous with a salary, signing bonus, and restricted stock units. Hard work seems to rewarded with promotions and stock options, I have not been at the company long enough to have had my own experience with this.

ConsDifferent teams at Amazon have wildly different experiences, which range from poor to awesome. Some teams have operational issues that basically turn their SDE's into highly paid support engineers that grinds software development to a halt and destroys work life balance due to every SDE having occasional 24-hour "on-call" duties. This is not the case on my current team, but definitely a risk for anyone taking a job at Amazon.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire support engineers. SDE's maintaining their own software to promote quality sounds like a good idea, except employee turnover and role changing is high enough that most of the bad software teams are supporting was created by someone else.

Great place to work with, and people around are so technically sound with full of positive attitude

Team Leader (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: positive, better growth opportunity, great career prospect. Cons: area of improvement are there. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Software Development Engineer

Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Interesting and challenging problems to solve, good mobility, plenty of opportunity to improve and challenge yourself. Amazon is "a tech… Cons: The fast environment can lead to high pressure that is not for everyone,… Advice to Senior Management: Better sprint and project planning tools would help us be… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!