There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

No MBA? No Future!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive work environment. Dogs allowed at workstations. Online resources to self-teach.

Cons

Company actively pursues and recruits MBAs with no relevant experience and discriminated against Bachelor holders with relevant experience! No work life balance.

You need a good balance of education and experience. Graduate school can't teach you everything!

3507 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Was better before all the changes

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III  in  Grand Forks, ND (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Grand Forks, ND (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly coworkers and relaxed environment. Pay and benefits are great, hard to find another job that meets what they offer in this area. Work from Home opportunities

Cons

*Training needs to be changed. When I first started training was in depth and I hit the floor knowing what I was doing. With the past few positions I've taken, training has been minimal and I feel completely unprepared for the job at hand.

* Work from home staff gets forgotten and left out of on site functions.

* Monthly internet allowance of $25 doesn't cover half of my internet or phone bill.

* Leadership needs to be available more often and monitor the team members available time

* Huge amount of favoritism

* Under appreciated

* Company is micro-managed and has grown a lot faster than it seems can be handled at times

Pay attention to your team. Make sure people are in avail when they should be and treat everyone on the team fairly. Don't offer special treatment to people or single out others just because you're buddies with them. This leaves workers on the phones short handed and feeling angry towards their leadership. Offer more to Work From Home. This is a large part of your company in Grand Forks, make sure we feel appreciated.

Not as much opportunity for SDETs

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Exciting projects that have high visibility and use
    * Customer-centric focus
    * Lots of good software engineer tools and frameworks in place

Cons

* Not a whole lot of opportunity for SDET or test career. Sure, there are pockets of them, but I wouldn't count on Amazon as a long term place for a test career. Not uncommon to see the senior test folks eventually leave due to lack of promotion process for them.
    * Heavy emphasis on on-call activities with less emphasis on building quality in from the beginning.
    * Fairly young engineering management

If you want to attract and KEEP test professionals, hire more test managers and some test VP or Directors to help keep the culture alive.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!