There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Growth Abounds at Amazon

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A forward thinking company that operates at the speed of the Internet

Cons

You'll work harder than you ever have in your career!

Keep up the good work!

3697 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Three years I'll never get back - and no I haven't been fired, I just wanna leave..

Current Employee - Not Worth the Risk Revealing What I Do, They'll BE After Me! in Dudelange (Luxembourg)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Package WITH CAVEATS: The stock is pretty decent for the first couple of years, then it overperforms and you're like totally screwed ("it's not our fault we did so well" cry the fat cats)
    Some people are really decent and they try super hard.

Cons

The tech is substandard, I mean it's hard sometimes to just get the basics done without raising ticket after ticket
    The processes are ludicrous (and - worse - inefficient)
    Complete diregard for people's lives - work and social (most of us are pretty young, we need to live a little outside of work - I see little of the 'work hard' ethic)
    The salary is poor for such an expensive, dreary place to live

Practice what you preach guys. It's about time to wake up and smell your substandard coffee: Amazon is no longer a startup but a (tenuously profitable, true) multi billion dollar business thats been around for almost 20 years. Stop hiding behind cool slogans and 'leadership principles' that you don't represent and use as an excuse not to spend money. Grow up. If you can't spend because profits are so poor, then rethink your strategy.

Does not hesitate to over-work employees...

Current Employee - Database Administrator in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Smart people all around keeping you on toes.
    - Culture of thinking out of box.
    - Tough milestones to achieve promotions ... extracts the best out of the employees.
    - A transparent internal job transfer to suit an employee's choice.

Cons

- pathetic work-life balance.
    - in the name of frugality , they do some cheap and mean things like choose a facility in the remotest corner of the city where facilities are cheap.
    - the job offer letter misleads almost every employee...in the sense that the stocks given to an employee is considered every year during appraisal and the increment in salary will be in inverse proportion of stocks vested, so if lots of stocks gets vested , the company won't give you much hike even if you are a top performer.
    - Hard to get recognized for good-work but fast enough to get criticized for an error.
    - Have a history of Lay-off at trifle error.

An employee's work ownership does not make the employee a work-horse which can keep running without any pause. Learn to recognize key employee and try to make them happy , after all they are the ones which keeps your company alive.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com