Amazon.com

www.amazon.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com

Pretty mediocre company for which to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing special, really. An advantage is that you can push hard for something, and if you're willing to put in the time, you will be able to get it done. If you've got the energy, drive, and chutzpah, you can do well here, but this is a production environment, don't expect cutting edge.

Pay is good.

Cons

Amazon is basically a big store with a huge web presence. Don't expect anything really exciting to happen here. Although, occasionally, something may pop out.

When you work here, consider yourself a cog. The catch-phrase is something like "a good software developer can do anything." What this means, in practice, is that everyone seems to be working on stuff they are not particularly good at. If there is a need to deal with a web scalability problem, there may be someone two desks down who may be an expert on server scalability, but is instead working on UI. No effort seems to be made to fit people with their strengths.

Amazon's emphasis on frugality makes it so the work environment is not particularly pleasant. Be prepared to work in a "start up" work environment with power cords hanging from the ceiling, cheap desks, no partitions, etc.

A real issue with the frugality mindset is that Amazon tries to develop on a shoestring. The build procedures are poorly planned, and tools are pretty primitive. Most infrastructure groups are woefully understaffed and it shows. Because the infrastructure is so poor, developers can expect to spend more time dealing with infrastructure issues (such as build issues) than in other companies. So much time is wasted dealing with issues like this, that you can expect to work overtime just to get a normal amount of work done.

Lastly, benefits are not great.

4363 Other Employee Reviews for Amazon.com (View Most Recent)

Awesome place! Very smart people

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

very smart people who care about the company vision and the end customer. Leaders in ecommerce so obviously a lot to learn from one of the best in this space.

Cons

can't really think of anything. I guess as it gets bigger there are the inherent dangers with size that may impact culture but didn't see much in my time at least.

continue doing what you do - focusing on the end customer

Good Solid Company to work for but employee work performance seems to be only based on your production rates.

I worked at Amazon.com full-time

Pros

Amazon.com is a very solid company growing larger every day with a lot of potential for advancement and a long career.
    Very good benefits...

Cons

In my opinion, the biggest con of working at Amazon.com was Amazons production rates system - you have to meet a minimum rate of work which is ,of course, understandable because items have to be stocked on the shelves and orders need to get shipped out to customers but it's constantly thrown at you from team leads/managers,"get your rate up!" I feel that Amazon gets a little over zealous with rates...
    Amazon.com uses a point system for being absent, tardy and clocking out early/clocking in late etc. If you accumulate a total of 6 points, Amazon.com will terminate you (unless you have a doctors excuse, etc.) The point system didn't effect me as I went to work every day and was always (and always have been) punctual to my jobs but it really bugged me. I know that employers have to put rules in place to hold their employees accountable and force employees to be responsible but instead of feeling like a valued employee It made me feel like I was in the 6th grade...

Please don't forget about your hard working associates who may not have the highest rates but are always there working hard giving it their all to do the very best job they can do, thank you...

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com