Amazon.com
3.4 of 5 2,803 reviews
www.amazon.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Great place to gain varied experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros- High Hiring Bar
- Your career is your responsibility
- Gain a lot of experience in a short time
- Autonomy is readily granted (just keep on track with your annual goals)
- Great place for recent graduates to start careers

Cons- Need to wear a lot of hats
- Review process is short and intense
- Some managers have little time to advise career development
- High pressure environment with long hours expected (work-life balance can be difficult)

Not a con, more of a note of advice:
One needs to keep skills and qualifications on par or above the current hiring bar. Even with hard work and dedication, one can become no longer be qualified for the current job easily. Keep note of the qualifications of new colleagues and strive to equal them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush the mentor program. Since mentors have chosen to volunteer their time to help others, employees might find it easier get career development help. Senior execs tell employees to contact their managers for career advice, however managers are usually very busy just keeping up and may not have time available.

Area manager seasonal contract work

Area Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Amazon.com as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Pay I thought was above average hours - was perfect 4… Cons: Lack of communication between managers Advice to Senior Management: Communicated with managers before so everyone is not telling employees… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good Experience

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros: Good pay, nice people room for advancement Cons: Hot in the summer but the problem has been since… More

There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amazon.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos. All reviews posted anonymously by Amazon.com employees.