Amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Must Love Panic Attacks

(Former Employee)

ProsAmazon is innovative and moves quickly--you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short amount of time--if you don't burn out first.

ConsAfter speaking with numerous other ex-Amazonians, I can honestly say I'm not alone when I tell people this company has given me post traumatic stress disorder. When people at Amazon say the teams "run lean," that means they hire one person to do the job of multiple people. Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done and the long hours you'll work (there's a reason they issue you a laptop here--so you can come home from the office and continue working).

Some folks love to work at a constant fever pitch because it motivates them, but it inevitably takes its toll--the company has a ridiculously high turnover rate because of burnout. You might think all of the current employment opportunities at the company are because they're expanding. Not really--they're mostly constantly trying to refill positions where folks have freaked out and left. If you don't have a social life or home life, and want to constantly be on-call, then this may be the place for you. if, however, you want to work for a place that cares a little more about their employees and less about their bottom line, look elsewhere. Yes, the company seems to pay well, and it can be exciting to work there, but you might need to be on anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds to do it...

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Pete's sake, hire more people! I know it's like hitting the jackpot when you find a single person who has the skills to do 5 different jobs, but that doesn't mean you should make them do it! Respect that an employee wants to give you their best, and that it's difficult to do when they're completely overwhelmed and no one cares enough to fix the problem.

Pure misery - much worse being an associate at a law firm

Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for less than a year

Pros: Very competitive salary for Seattle market Cons: - Workload and work/life balance (was even worse than being at a big law firm) - Inadequate training - Uninteresting work (get ready to spend your days… Advice to Senior Management: If they have any interest in retaining talent, they should try to improve training and support, improve work/life balance, streamline the endless cycle of goal-setting… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fast paced and exciting

Process Assistant (Current Employee) Plainfield, IN (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good pay, excellent benefits, and opportunities to advance Cons: Training minimal and the feedback system needs improvement Advice to Senior Management: Put more effort into training your associates to be ready… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!