Great work Environment

I have been working at Amazon.com

Pros

Work satisfaction, Fun @ work , Recreational activities

Cons

No cons observed till now.

Other Reviews for Amazon.com

A good place to learn open source and linux

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Amazon.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can learn many open source project and Linux on the job

Cons

As an engineer, responsibility is not communicated clearly from manager, lots of legacy technology and hard to grow in technical depth.

They don't listen to advice.

Say hello to work and goodbye to life

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Amazon.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Amazing customer focus. I've worked for some top companies, and I've not seen customer focus like in Amazon.
    * Pays slightly better in cash than other similar companies; this comparison falls flat if you bring in other benefits into the picture (Amazon has nothing there)
    * If you like rapid changes and find excitement in firefighting, you'll like the work in most teams

Cons

* Absolutely no work-life balance. You are basically expected to work weekends often, and it is assumed that you will join late night calls every day.
    * On Call. If you're interviewing with them, ask them about it. They generally don't mention it to you till you've joined. Your mobile number is entered into the system, and anytime there is an issue in production, you will get a message and you are expected to login and take a look within 15 mins. This could happen anytime while you are on-call; 3am or when you are with friends on weekends... Oh, they'll give you a datacard though, so you can carry your laptop wherever you go and login and work when they ask you to. One thing that makes it slightly better is that the team takes it in turns, so you are on-call about one week every month (will vary by team size and other factors).
    * Absolutely no respect for personal space. I was called 8 times from office (about work) when I had explicitly told them I was out of office attending a funeral. When my friend's dad was hospitalized, he was asked to send a report within an hour, despite the fact that he was in the hospital with his father.
    * Minimal benefits. Amazon takes frugality to an extreme. If you even make the mistake of joining there, "Frugality" is one of the core principles/values that they will advertise during your new employee orientation, and you will hear this word a LOT during your stay at Amazon.
    * A minor gripe - their stock vesting cycle is designed that you lost a lot of stock whenever you leave the company. Here's what you get after completing:
    1 year - 5%
    2 years - 15%
    2.5 yrs - 20%
    3 years - 20%
    3.5 yrs - 20%
    4 years - 20%
    So anytime you leave, you lose all stock awarded within the last 1 year, 95% of the stock awarded between 1yr and 2yrs ago, 80% of the stock awarded between 2yrs and 2.5yrs ago and so on.
    I quit in around 1 year and 11 months. 3 weeks more would've given me a considerable amount of stock, but I decided not to wait; it was that bad.

There are newer employer reviews for Amazon.com.

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!