There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  DFW, TX (US)
Former Employee - Project Manager in DFW, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, they have a lot of company recognized holidays

Cons

I don't think AA is comfortable with contractors. They keep you at a distance, and they make an effort to let you know that you are not an employee. As a result, it's difficult to do your work that requires collaboration with others.
Also, they are not a progressive company due to the older age of employees, averaging 20-30+ years of service. Most of the managers are former flight attendants who were promoted within, therefore they don't understand the flow of other progressive companies and of course the benefits of employing contractors who bring a higher level of expertise.
AA is very political, they have too many levels of management which makes it difficult to get approvals for projects.
Finally, HQ buildings are very dated. They do not have updated break rooms, coffee and filtered water is not provided by the company, you have to join coffee and water clubs or bring your own.
Overall, I did not have a good experience and will not return.

Remove some of the levels of management. Encourage creativity and embrace contractors who bring expertise to your organization.

659 Other Employee Reviews for American Airlines (View Most Recent)

Once great, not so much anymore!

Current Employee - International Flight Purser  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - International Flight Purser in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Travel used to be a great benefit, now you have to fight to get on an airplane. Our health benefits are still okay and pay will let you live in the lower middle class.

Cons

After the mismanagement of our current senior management which has lead to bankruptcy, they are attempting to completely gut our remaining benefits and quality of work life.

What you are doing is completely wrong, please try to find those who love the airline business and want to help us grow again and become the once proud airline we once were. The money-grubbing and business-as-usual policies will no longer work.

American Airlines HQ offices

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

AA is a great company to work for if you are wanting to gain experience in various departments and build your business expertise. I worked in three different organizations and had three very different experiences in terms of management and peers. For the most part upper management is personable and it is a good atmosphere to work in. Teams are usually close knit and work feels like an extended family. The flight benefits are great.... if you love travel.

Cons

The pay is not up to industry level.... there are many jobs where you can make more with other companies..... word of advice.... make sure to negotiate what you can with first job in company, if not you are stuck in a pay bracket that could hinder what you make in future jobs in the company.

Rethink your pay plan and how you value employees in this regard.... It is very difficult to see long term employees that know the company inside and out... and make huge contributions to its success making half of what newly hired college students that know nothing about it and will take years to get to that point of contribution.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!