Sr Manager IT

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX (US)
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at American Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very Flexible with Work Life Balance
Standby Flights

Cons

Low Salary with High Responsibility

We have down sized every year for 12 years. The teams are too small and don't have enough leadership

Other Reviews for American Airlines

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For!

I worked at American Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get a paycheck, health coverage & flight benefits (which are nice to have when you can use them).

Cons

Management of this company is the absolute WORST! I'ts no surprise it is going through bankrupcy, but in doing so, it really stuck it to the lower level employees. Upper management has continually been paid ridiculous salaries with all the perks, while everyone else suffered with poor compensation with the excuse that the airline was doing poorly. I personally worked with two managers who were so clueless and so egregious in their treatment of staff that they were eventually forced out - but that took years before anything was done. In my experience, the way to move up had nothing to do with your work performance, but more to do with "playing the game". If you worked hard and were good at your job, but didn't get involved with the office politics, forget about moving up - you just got more work to do as a "bonus". In the last position I worked, the atmosphere was very tense. Everyone felt like they were being watched and spied on & they were! Email, phone calls & cameras were monitored. One of my managers decided to implement "silent time" for us during which we could not talk or get up from our desk- as if we were childern in elementary school being punished for some nonexistent crime. I could go on & on, but I won't. These are my experiences & as such, I recommending NOT working for this company.

Treat your employees right; they are the backbone of your company! You've got to come up with a better way to coexist with your employees in such a way that they feel empowered in their work life. They want to be treated fairly and with respect, plus they want fair compensation. BTW, you have way too many people trying micromanage when it is not necessary. You could get rid of a lot of useless management positions and instead, let worker groups come up with solutions to their own problems. It makes no sense to have to go through so many levels of management, all of whom know nothing of what you are doing.

Good workout, but don't expect to make a fortune.

Former Employee - Station Agent  in  Greer, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Station Agent in Greer, SC (US)

I worked at American Airlines part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers; get to work around planes (if you like that sort of thing); lots of physical labor makes for a good workout; great travel benefits; freedom to do what you want during your downtime; lots of training and mobility potential (especially if you want to move to another part of the country)

Cons

Odd hours (our station was open from 4AM-12AM) possible; working in ANY condition (rain, snow, cold, fire, etc.), lots of loud noises and injury potential; small errors (i.e. driving tractor into wing antenna) will cost you your job (that stuff can cost more than your yearly salary), so be super careful; lots of downtime between flights can lead to boredom; you gotta' dump the crapper.

I know that price cutting is how you win the race, but you've got to invest a few more bucks in the employees' office comforts. Everything was jimmy-rigged over and over and barely surviving. Maybe you've improved that in the past few years.

There are newer employer reviews for American Airlines.

Worked for American Airlines? Contribute to the Community!