Does great work, but was overworked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You are helping save lives. There are many departments that allow work from home. There are very talented people working there, many of whom have been there for a long time. Depending on the role, it could be very satisfying. The interview process consists of very long interviews, so be prepared.

Cons

The hours! The workload was never ending and frankly unreasonable. There was no bonuses during my last 2 years due to the economy, and you are reviewed constantly (bi-annually, plus peer reviews, 360 reviews). The workload was due to never ending, understaffed projects.

Other Reviews for American Heart Association

Good mission but hard to stay inspired

Former Employee - Heart Walk Director
    Former Employee - Heart Walk Director

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you work hard, you will be quickly promoted and the pay is relatively competitive for a non-profit. This is a great job for someone early in their career that is looking to improve their title and able to live with mediocre pay (hey, it is still a non-profit). This is also the most corporate-style non-profit that I have worked with. If you like structure, this is a good option.

Cons

They will work you ragged so your passion for the mission dwindles. There is a lot of turn-over and the office culture can be a bit catty.

The WORST ORGANIZATION I've EVER worked for

I worked at American Heart Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hours of 37.5 and getting paid for 40, if you can manage to work less than 50 a week and not be criticized constantly. The office does close for 2 weeks in the winter though you are expected to work. This is across all departments so I guess it's not really a pro per say.

Cons

Management is terrible. No one cares about you as a person and you are simply a number. I have seen them fire hard working management who have been here 10 plus years simply because they didn't play in the sandbox and treat their employees like total dog meat.

Take value in your employees and volunteers before someone that matters gets tired of it.

There are newer employer reviews for American Heart Association.

Worked for American Heart Association? Contribute to the Community!