Apple

www.apple.com
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

Steve Jobs Dictatorial Style Trickles Down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA (US)

I worked at Apple

Pros

It's great for the resume. Better still, it's a great way to meet lots of people who will ultimately move around within the industry -- an excellent way to build a professional network. In addition, you will have lots of opportunity to practice working in a somewhat chaotic, but often creative workplace, and to benefit from the genius of Steve Jobs.

Cons

It is essentially a dictatorship, and not a benevolent one. At the exec level, the leadership style is unequivocally domineering and unforgiving -- driven by fear of Steve. And many of them are just plain mean. Lower-level managers have very little control; they may be nice, but they're often irrelevant.

Learn to be leaders. Set people up to succeed. Give them the direction and the parameters for success (not micro-management or correction). Develop plans and stick to them, and help your teams work to the plan. Develop confidence in your own leadership capabilities and your own intelligence, so you don't have to operate in fear of Steve.

4257 Other Employee Reviews for Apple (View Most Recent)

Great company. Beware of rogue management.

Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Creative (Apple Store) in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

The best reasons are primarily for the benefits. You get great perks from 3rd parties. The whole experience can be very rewarding at first. Selling products you can stand behind never hurts.

Cons

Depending on which store you land in, you may have to fight for justifiable pay. The smaller market stores have a tendency to operate on sales to win the attention of corporate. They focus solely on numbers and not so much the concepts and ideas of Apple. They serve out the Kool Aid and it's not bad but it's certainly not the same Kool Aid larger market stores are serving up to their staff. Beware of smaller stores.

Relax a bit and appreciate the talent you have on hand rather than belittling them. Negative reinforcement never fixes anything.

A Greener Apple!

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at Apple

Pros

I have used apple computers during my entire professional career. Even when it was unpopular to do so, I fought and clung to my Apple computers. I feel I have a high level of expertise and I am respected by customers. I would aspire to a corporate job, I would sweat blood for Apple, and so I do. I absolutely love taking an irate customer and turn them back into a promoter. I am absolutely gifted at doing that.

Cons

I don't believe metrics, although I do well, is an appropriate measure for me. I have trouble at times providing the complete solution when there simply are things customers don't need. I am confident as I relate to customers, I know if we are building a relationship with someone. In doing so, some things should be evolutionary, which is why I am such a big .Mac and one to one proponent. APP is a no brainer, but it is sometimes hard to position Pro Care.

Take me, a guy who has several platinum awards for music production, was a founding member and producer of a 6 X Platinum rock band, Song of the year 98, Has designed developed products for large manufacturing companies, and who on the side started a real estate company, which the search interface is wholly influenced by Apple, as well as my fight to populate real estate offices with Macs. My ability to maximize the talent of a brain trust by my willingness to participate, as well as throw out my own ideas in favor of achieving excellence makes me an untapped resource that is measured simply by metrics. I know performance must be measured, but the road to real personal accomplishment at apple seems bleak, and I notice the change in attitude even among the younger guys. I would watch the kids on the floor closely. Management is excellent. Absolutely the finest because they live it as I do. But it is hard for someone so committed to a company to maintain that level of commitment if it's just about grabbing an EZ Pay and waiting for the download to be over. Point is, there should be more of an interest in individual advancement by management rather than just trying to maintain a status quo.

There are newer employer reviews for Apple