Autonomy

www.autonomy.com
  www.autonomy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy

Unstructured but successful company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Great commission if you are successful

Cons

Lackluster training, huge pressure to perform with little ownership of sales process by others.

331 Other Employee Reviews for Autonomy (View Most Recent)

Amazing pay, amazing benefits, lots of freedom/no direction from management

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

Extremely high pay, amazing benefits, free lunch/breakfast on Fridays, freedom to make the job whatever you want it to be. If you want to specialize in X, you can do it. Very, very smart people are Autonomy

Cons

No direction from management, no defined job responsibilities, zero knowledge transfer, no raises - EVER (!), remote managers. Requires a college degree and 3.0 GPA to work here, even if you were in college 30 years ago.

Give us some direction, let us make our own decisions, give us regular raises/review/feedback - we have no idea how our performance is stacking up or what direction we should be going in - also TRUST US to make good decisions for the company, it seems like very few hold all the power/decision making abilities.

Worst. Job. Ever.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

There's free food in the kitchen and a holiday abroad at Christmas. The company also sponsors a Formula One team, so you might be lucky and get to go to a free practice session. They also sponsor Tottenham Hotspur, so you might be able to go and watch a match.

Oh, there's also a table football game. Because that will cancel out the cons, right?

Cons

As a graduate, do not expect any training. In fact, do not expect very much other than to be placed in front of a PC and given orders! Chances are you will be working alone on some horrific code base that no-one else in the company understands. Good luck with that.

You'll need to learn on the job and under pressure and you will be expected to delivery results however much of your day/night this costs. Most of the projects continually operate in fire-fighting mode because the number of developers is very low. No-one ever has the chance to sit back and say "hey, wouldn't it be better if we changed this bit and did it properly" because they have to fix the bugs TODAY or face a shouting match from superiors.

Software is very much secondary to Autonomy. The goal is sales. Software just gets in the way. This means no emphasis in design, documentation or testing. Or in other words, no value to software guys/gals whatsoever. As a software engineer you are regarded as a button pusher, you have no skill and any software engineer can be replaced by any other (or indeed a new graduate). If you want to become a better software developer, simply don't start here (or come here and then write a book on how not to do things).

Learning on the job is hampered by the firewall. China's censorship policies have nothing on Autonomy. Want to downloads some open-source software? No chance! Want to read documentation? No chance! Do you want to read a blog article explaining your problem? Nope, you're out of luck. The firewall blocks almost everything to the point where you might as well just bring books in and use that. The internet is vastly overrated anyway!

Management can best be characterized as arrogant and technically incompetent. Whatever you can do, they can do better and in half the time. They'll not demonstrate this, but they will use it to try and force you to finish items very quickly, often pressurising you into working very late.

I'll stop there because it says "describe some of the downsides". There's plenty more, but suffice to say this isn't a place I would recommend to others (or my worst enemy for that matter!).

There's no hope. You can't build a company on the lie of great software when the core is so totally rotten.

There are newer employer reviews for Autonomy