BB&T
www.bbt.com Winston-Salem, NC 5000+ Employees

Good company, but growing pains... politics, nepotism/cronyism in middle management

DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people that are client facing, and for the most part everyone is pleasant to work with. Most people do what they need to do, and still embody the fact that the client is number one. Senior management from NC is very committed to Texas. Lots of growth opportunities, and additionally people who are client facing still "own" the relationship and it garners a lot of respect from clients. Also, for the commercial side, the segment ranges of deal size are very wide and thus you are not limited to certain sized deals.

Retail side has lots of fantastic people throughout the branches, and are second to none.

ConsMiddle management doesn't actively keep in tune with what their reports are doing, experiencing, or hold people accountable. Justice is one of the key values of BB&T, and it seems as though often the wrong people get promotions because of political pulls in certain regions and top producers are do not receive incentives commensurate with their production. It seems there is a large degree of cronyism in parts of the commercial bank because of tenure or relationship, and promotions are not always justified by actual production or behaviors congrument with long-term focused efforts.

Senior regional management seems to think that coaching to cross-selling report cards is an acceptable form of management, and has generally triumphed successful cross-selling more than closed aspects of revenue. Additionally, management does not hold under-performers accountable relative to their job grade, and inversely does not give enough appreciation to employees who go above and beyond the expectations.

Leadership Development Program graduates seem to be getting most of the opportunities in taking management or commercial entry level jobs.

Great bank, but has been a little / regional community bank that needs to start acting more like a big-boy bank in terms of holding officers accountable for their goals and performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management has a great strategic vision, and solid principled leadership. The problem is that certain regions have gotten "fat" as result of poor leadership from regional presidents and city executives. The majority of challenging decisions are being made by credit officers, and not by regional presidents or city executives in my experience in my own region. I think upper-level management would be well guided to ask more opinions of the FCLs, BSOs, RBs in the region to accurately evaluate the actual management abilities of CEs and RPs. I fear within the region I am an employee that significant regional leadership changes will be necessary, otherwise I do not see positive outcomes in the long-term. Great people, great with clients, but at risk due to lack of accountability and justice by middle management and regional leadership (my region).

Great place to bank and work.

Financial Center Leader (Current Employee)
Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: BB&T has a strong corporate culture. You have access to executive management in which you can voice… Cons: Some of the computer software and systems need enhancements and/or updated. Some of the computer software and systems need enhancements… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great experience

Teller (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros: Great pay and benefits and work environment Cons: If too many errors are incurred you will get fired. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on BB&T.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BB&T reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BB&T CEO Kelly S. King. All reviews posted anonymously by BB&T employees.