Baltimore Gas and Electric

www.bge.com
  www.bge.com
There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Gas and Electric

I loved my career experience at Baltimore Gas & Electric until...

Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Baltimore, MD (US)
Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a ton of room for great growth if you're assigned to a leader who believes in his or her staff and want you to be successful. The pay and benefits are amazing. Employees across the board treat each other like good friends & family.

Cons

Corporate policies can be horrible in every company not this just one. Working under the direction of a manager who does not care for you makes work-life difficult. It was my first time in corporate roll like this. I made a mistake knew I couldn't talk to my HR Director about it. I'm not one to point fingers, I too was at fault and have learned a value lesson that never happen again.

Management holds to key to making the employee experience a great one to remember and brag about.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Baltimore Gas and Electric (View Most Recent)

BGE (Baltimore Gas & Electric Co.)

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistance in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistance in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Baltimore Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

BGE serves central MD and is one of the nation's earliest electric & the 1st gas utility. They have a long history of stability and community involvement, and the employees take pride in and are committed to BGE (which has always been and remains union-free).

Cons

BGE's upper management has gotten away from its team-oriented approach and has put lofty goals ahead of the welfare of its work force. Organizationally, the individual business units operate independently, without an understanding of the roles and functions of the other units, so often they are at loggerheads and do not see the whole picture. while they publicly talk about innovation and "thinking outside the box", they do not empower their employees to be creative, or even proactive, and anyone who does not toe the company line is regarded as not a team player. Also, the company doesn't place much emphasis on training or career advancement of amployees (other than engineers). They use questionable performance management and evaluation practices that are inconsistently and/or selectively applied.

Believe in your staff of dedicated, long-time employees and give them the development tools and lattitude to contribute to the company's success.

Love my job -- work independently - challenging work both mentally and physically

Current Employee - Service Operator
    Current Employee - Service Operator

I have been working at Baltimore Gas and Electric

Pros

Large company with many different departments -- I have a clear path of advancement in electric distribution - salary very competitive with industry and cost of living

Cons

possibility of working 12-16 hour days during shift coverage or storm restoration -- always a risk of injury when working with high voltage

There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Gas and Electric