There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Good Company, Low Pay, Few Hours If You're Not Full-Time

Former Employee - Community Relations Manager
Former Employee - Community Relations Manager

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Usually fun, like-minded co-workers; good discounts; great for people who like interaction and being up on their feet.

Cons

Minimal hours available to part-timers; stores frequently understaffed due to lack of hours; may become repetitive or boring to some.

In store management is typically doing their best with what they've got to work with, and the organization doesn't seem too top heavy.

1116 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Bookseller Culture Lives!

Former Employee - Bookseller in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A generally lovely work environment with a lot of variety.

Cons

The emphasis on membership sales can often interfere with work performance.

Let the booksellers have more direct involvement with merchandizing. They are all big readers, and you would see sales jump significantly if they felt that they had more input on display content.

This has been a great place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with books is the best type of retail. In so many ways you can change someone's life by recommending a particular book. The majority of customers are book lovers,making it a great place to engage in intelligent conversation, something you may not get by recommending a shirt or shoes to someone. The employees are my FAVORITE part of the job. These people are like family & in the years I've worked for Barnes & Noble I've developed friendships & relationships I value immensely. In fact I met my spouse working for them! There's a great sense of ownership from the entire staff & in my experience the majority of employees work hard to do their share of the work. There's a variety of jobs to do & a motivated employee is likely to get training in any area he or she wants to try. Selling books is generally easy & the expectations (at least at the bookseller level) are not that unrealistic or unattainable.

Cons

Lack of consistent communication which creates frustration;
    Inconsistencies with the philosophy of promoting from within, especially with the influx of management candidates from other companies;
    Inconsistent message with being sales/customer focused while simultaneously reducing hours;
    Relatively unstructured training;
    HUGE issue with theft;
    Not great pay or hours for p/t employees & no benefits for them either.

We're a very bottom line oriented company like so many others. We continue to trim costs & this often comes at the cost of effectively staffing. There needs to be a balance to cost cutting & payroll needs. More communication to help booksellers understand why we do things would be good too. We're decent at telling Store Managers what's going on & why but booksellers rarely get a complete picture. Pay more attention to what's going on in your stores. We don't work in perfect stores so your theoretical perfect operation strategies don't always work. Have your District Managers spend more time working alongside managers as partners, not brow beaters.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble