Barnes & Noble

www.barnesandnoble.com
  www.barnesandnoble.com
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Changing Culture

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are generally smart, interesting, & passionate lovers of reading. Generous employee discount.

Cons

Pressure on employees is now selling electronics, i.e. Nook. Appreciation of book knowledge is no longer valued.

Books - not Nooks - still pay salaries. While selling Nooks is critical, remember the majority of customers still rely on employees for book knowledge, not electronic.

1186 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Annual Layoffs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, attempts at trying to seem to care for the employees

Cons

They do layoffs EVERY year right after MLK birthday. Where careers come to dies.

Let employees know there is no growth. Don't hire anyone under 40 and no kids for that reason.

Challenging, yet rewarding.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic, as well as the book loan program. An employee is compensated well for their work (i.e., appropriate break times, lunch breaks, etc.). Working around books is incredibly fun for any bibliophile, and it keeps me brushed up on my literature, as well as inspired me to go home and do more research about different authors and novels. Helping adults and children maintain a healthy relationship with books and reading is important for our society, and it's nice to be a part of that process.

Cons

There seems to be difficulty with management--not enough leeway in the right places and too much in others. There also seems to be a considerable amount of drama--as I'm sure is in any workplace. The pay is a bit low for what is expected of basic booksellers, especially those that are good at what they do. If you do well at your job, you're given more responsibility, while others that are (under assumption) making the same pay as you, are not required anything more than the basic bookseller duties. Also, because of cutbacks, management really does overwork what employees they have, resulting in one bookseller doing the duties of what two, if not three should be required to do.

Another point is that the scheduling (perhaps it is just for my store) has a tendency to be late. We are on a week-by-week schedule that is sometimes released the Thursday before the next week, making it impossible to schedule anything for your personal life ahead of time. Which is okay, if you have completely open availability, but very few people do.

My advice to management would be to invest in your employees more, rather than the Nook. The booksellers are the ones that are the liaison between you and the people--if you have disgruntled employees, you will have disgruntled customers. Needless to say, disgruntled customers soon equal no customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble