There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel

One of the best employers for your first job

Former Employee - Engineer in Brisbane
Former Employee - Engineer in Brisbane

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-great salary, benefits, profit sharing etc.
-great offices, resources, equipment, training, employees, opportunities etc.
-largest EPCM projects in the world

Cons

-if you have moral objections to negative environmental impact through large scale industrial development and American political interests in world world affairs working for Bechtel presents a conflict of interest
-very political corporate culture: assimilation required for career advancement
-must be willing to relocate every few years
-must be willing to work in remote projects sites

-be open to employees who want to remain in same city

375 Other Employee Reviews for Bechtel (View Most Recent)

Opportunity exists, but you have to work for it and know how to play the game!

Current Employee - Systems Lead in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Systems Lead in Brisbane

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of projects and opportunity. Generally, the people are good to work with and they work hard. They pay overtime and there is plenty of it!

Cons

You need an "in" to have a real chance at success. When you get it, you have to work extremely hard to prove yourself, and it doesn't always pay off. Bechtel is rigid in its systems and methods, and they are not the most efficient or effective. This is why it is so difficult for it to keep good people who have recently joined the company.

Be more open to new ideas of better ways of doing things. The old way isn't the only way.

Bechtel is exciting, driven for excellence and extremely highly qualified in all aspects of major, large construction.

Former Employee - Civil Superintendent & Senior Mining Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bechtel trusts its professional employees with a large degree of responsibility and matches the trust with very thorough procedures. The "team" on a project is always professional, committed and qualified - like working on an all-star team. Our prime directive was to meet the schedule: Quality and safety were "given". Bechtel was really an exciting and enjoyable place to work.

Cons

I would say the main challenges have to do with family stress. We moved often and lived in remote locations, which are always tougher on the families than on the employee. I was fortunate in that my wife enjoyed foreign places and strange languages.

I think senior management was terrific so I don't have specific advice. Everybody, of course, would like more pay and better assignments; so that is not real advice.

There are newer employer reviews for Bechtel