BlackBerry

www.blackberry.com

OS Embedded Developer , Intern

Former Employee - OS Embedded Developer, Intern  in  Sunrise, FL (US)
Former Employee - OS Embedded Developer, Intern in Sunrise, FL (US)

Pros

Good work atmosphere, Good city, good career opportunities

Cons

shares went down recently but its is picking up

Other reviews for BlackBerry

Stagnant

Former Employee - Service Engineer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Plenty of time to play table tennis

Cons

No direction.
    Management doesn't understand the technology.
    Too much red tape.

cut the fat!

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Overall: Salaries are good, the company pays well. Benefits are competitive. Casual work environment. Some cool people work there. You get a BlackBerry for the duration of your employment and some teams get PlayBooks.

My job: My job allowed me some freedom and creativity in how I completed projects, and I worked with some great people on some interesting projects. I had a lot of freedom in determining my schedule and in structuring my projects, which was quite nice. Some parts of my job were very interesting, challenging and exciting.

Cons

RIM hires a lot of people without any technology or corporate experience and it shows, particularly with people who joined the company before the growth years (from 2003-2007) and then got promoted into management jobs they were not qualified to do. This created a LOT of problems in that the company is incredibly disorganized and there a definite lack of a pro-active approach to issues.

Also some managers have close friendships with some of their direct reports which creates problems.

In my area there was complete lack of any structure or process which did not help in dealing with the issues our team and the company was facing. This was not helped by the complete indifference of the senior executives, who didn't communicate about what was going on or lied about it when they did.

There was really no career or job progression to speak of in my job, although RIM is very disorganized so some teams might have well-defined career paths. RIM is not like any other corporation in that it's run like a small business so you never know what the team you're joining is like -- it could be well run or it could be a complete mess.

Learn to manage. Read a book, go to school, something, anything would help.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!