Blockbuster

www.blockbuster.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

fun sometimes

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

fun place to work at

Cons

Lil to none raises and low hours

680 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

Used to love my job

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free weekly rentals, free Dish cable service

Cons

No raises for 4 years straight, mandatory work hours have increased by 5 hours, no labor for training new employees, work every holiday including Christmas and Thanksgiving, and work most weekend nights

Need to not expect so much from your store managers when you do so little to help them.

Joining the Titanic for the Pay

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Blockbuster full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The upside was that the pay (Store Manager) was an increase for me as opposed to my last job where it was taking forever to get a promotion. That is why I took the job. I joined after Dish Network took over and shut down the first string of stores. They fed a lot of lies to the Blockbuster people up high and down low saying that they were not trying to shut any stores down. In reality actual Dish Network employees all said the same thing, you are going to be liquidated. So the pay for this year has been great, but it's all going down in a matter of a couple of years. If you join the titanic bring a life-vest.

Cons

The planning and operations of this company is atrocious. There were two major marketing shifts that happened during 2012. Both of those were fraught with problems as some stores didn't get their packages and most got incomplete packages. They didn't know how many shelves were in each store and didn't care to check before sending the packages. The holiday set was supposed to be done in November but the signing never arrived until 2 weeks before Christmas. The new releases were late and incomplete often which of course could have something to do with the studios themselves, but I am apt to think it was just Blockbuster. From everything employees who have been with the company for 20 years have said, this is exactly how things used to be back in the day of Big Blue when Blockbuster was king.

Get out, Dish is just keeping you around long enough to perfect a streaming option and cannibalize as many Blockbuster regulars as possible. They are full of lies and if they are promising you a job at Dish Network when it is all over, I would have a hard time believing that either.

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster