Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.

You get to learn how to use the terminal and touch on different assets

Current Employee - Global Data
Current Employee - Global Data

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pantry is unbelievable and people are nice. Good pay

Cons

What you learned are not very transferable except knowing how to use the terminal. Lots of data entry work

1301 Other Employee Reviews for Bloomberg L.P. (View Most Recent)

Perfect example of corporate wellfare

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mountains of chips and rivers of soda... at the same time an on going compain to "B fit"
    No co-pay medical and 4 weeks of vacation, which is plenty needed to recover from all "innovations" that going on.

Cons

I am a bit lost after reading all 5 star reviews. Was I working for the same company? Is there another Bloomberg? The company I spent >>> read wasted<<< several years at is a perfect example of ACME INC. Management that's been there forever. No advancement opportunities at all. Any direction you look, you'll see red tape. The only way to go up the corp ladder is to branch off your own group. As a result there are hundreds of those groups with very narrow set of tasks, way to improve marketability (not). Propriatary dated technology throughout. ... Management that will not define anything and has very little to none technical skills!

Get a clue!

Good pay, benefits and job security, bad technology

Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Software Developer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Pay is good. Business is slowing down now but even during the financial crisis I got pretty good pay and bonuses. A lot of my coworkers quit and work for Google and they're getting less vacation and about the same salary.
    * Good benefits. Four weeks vacation, good medical and dental insurance (used to be free but now it's $400 a year or so) and other perks like free entrance to of museums and occasional tickets to high-society type events through the company's philanthropy
    * Nice office in a nice location, with beautiful tropical fish and free snacks.

Cons

* The technologies they are using are outdated and mostly proprietary. You can become an expert in those technologies and it will make you more valuable to Bloomberg but not to anyone else. Perhaps not if you work in a few groups (mobile, bloomberg.com, bloomberg government) which use mainstream technologies, but the vast majority of programmers are working on the Bloomberg Terminal which doesn't really use any modern, marketable technology.
    * Good job security has a price: there are a lot of really bad programmers who break things or never get any work done, and they never get fired. Depending on your team you could work with smart people but you might also work with a lot of dumb people.
    * Hours can be long and you're pretty much expected to be on-call 24/7, ready to log in and debug issues at 4am when the London market opens... it's a global business but most software teams are only in New York, and in some teams you can get woken up very frequently to fix overseas issues.

Biggest thing is to upgrade the technology so developers don't feel like they're wasting their lives becoming expert in all this proprietary stuff. I know Bloomberg was way ahead of its time, but the Internet has caught up and surpassed us and there's a lot of good technology we could be using and building our value as programmers at the same time.

There are newer employer reviews for Bloomberg L.P.